DSL question

Hey all... Long time since I've been here...hope all is well...too bad about Bass.

Anyway, I've never had a problem with DSL before or have even had to use a DSL filter so I'm not sure what the symptoms are (other than FC).

Here's the deal, Vista 10SE communicating fine until Qwest installed AND MESSED with inside wiring. We were tapped into the nearest telco outlet in an office (don't ask it was an ADT that we took over) anyway...it was working fine and had line siezure until they (Qwest) screwed with it. That outlet has DSL filter hanging out of it but we are tapped in ahead of it...but we have dial tone and we can break dialtone with a but set at our wires there. TWENTY feet away at the other end of our wire we have only faint static ? Thats it. I didnt have a DSL filter with me so I couldnt try it.

Any ideas?

(our wire is not shorted)

TNX, Rob

Reply to
Crash
Loading thread data ...

That should read; "...until Qwest installed DSL, and messed with inside wiring..."

Reply to
Crash

I don't know about the bandwidth of Quest but it's possible that like some of the other providers I've heard about, (like Vonage) it can't handle alarm signals. Also, when you say "ahead" of the DSL filter, I presume that the alarm system is on the street side of the existing filter. If so, ( and you don't say what kind of trouble or if it's intermittant, etc) then if you're having trouble communicating, you've got to suspect that it's due to the DSL signal. You can only try a filter at this point and see what happens.

One of the common things they do around here is when they backfeed the telepone wiring from a wall jack from the modem, it .... in effect, reverses the telephone connections on the alarm panel. Even if you have the panel set to monitor the presence of the phone line, it's still sensing the line voltage but when the panel picks up the line to dial out, it cuts off the dial tone. Optimum says that the installers are supposed to ask the customer to test their alarm before they leave, but they hardly ever do and for some reason it hardly ever occurs to the customer that changing their telephone service has anything to do with their alarm system.

Reply to
Jim

(wiring for a RJ-31X block as normal dialer hookup will not work acceptably for a household using ADSL/SDSL. the filter if used on a RJ-31X block wiring will drop the over all speed of the digital signal to the computer.

to correctly use a RJ-31x block on a household with ADSL/SDSL a wire must be run to the demark block where the ADSL/SDSL filter will be used to separate the audio from the digital signals. the RJ-31x block can then be wired in series with the audio ckt and the digital ckt will go directly to the digital devices.

as for your reported dial tone at the jack but not just 20 feet away, tells me you have a broken wire.. or at the least a very high resistance joint connection.

Best of luck Rob,

I don't know about the bandwidth of Quest but it's possible that like some of the other providers I've heard about, (like Vonage) it can't handle alarm signals. Also, when you say "ahead" of the DSL filter, I presume that the alarm system is on the street side of the existing filter. If so, ( and you don't say what kind of trouble or if it's intermittant, etc) then if you're having trouble communicating, you've got to suspect that it's due to the DSL signal. You can only try a filter at this point and see what happens.

(the back feed referred to here is usually from voice over IP.. ie... cable) DSL is just "enhanced" pots line telephone..

One of the common things they do around here is when they backfeed the telepone wiring from a wall jack from the modem, it .... in effect, reverses the telephone connections on the alarm panel. Even if you have the panel set to monitor the presence of the phone line, it's still sensing the line voltage but when the panel picks up the line to dial out, it cuts off the dial tone. Optimum says that the installers are supposed to ask the customer to test their alarm before they leave, but they hardly ever do and for some reason it hardly ever occurs to the customer that changing their telephone service has anything to do with their alarm system.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Sounds like a great opportunity to wire the dialer cable correctly, to the demark. Probably should have been done while you were there, eh? (either on the takeover itself, or the service call).

I find it hard to believe you've never had to use a DSL filter. When I was doing 2-3 takeovers/re-activations a day I went through 4 or 5 filters weekly.

It is possible for an alarm signal to transmit successfully on an unfiltered DSL line, BUT... just because one round goes through does not mean the next round will. I always install a filter for customers with DSL. In fact, many contracts will have that provision.. and the filter is to be paid for by the customer.

I would use this one, that is meant for alarms and line-seizure.

formatting link
Some other respondent said something about bandwidth and compared Quest's service to "Vonage". I don't know what the hell brought that up, but ignore that advice unless the customer actually has a VOIP service (which was not mentioned).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks all.

Yah...I've never had to use DSL filter on any panels (well maybe I did use one and thats where the one I had in the truck went...but thats all). The product I usually use does not have a problem with DSL.

ADT retro installed this panel originally under a staircase smack dab in the middle of the house and the stair case (if you can picture this) is surrounded by tile floor or wood floor and the only way to get phone to it was to the nearest bedroom phone jack (it just happens to be the first jack on the run so we were seizing everythign there) BUT cant get to the demarc.

Rob

Reply to
Crash

Thanks all.

Yah...I've never had to use DSL filter on any panels (well maybe I did use one and thats where the one I had in the truck went...but thats all). The product I usually use does not have a problem with DSL.

ADT retro installed this panel originally under a staircase smack dab in the middle of the house and the stair case (if you can picture this) is surrounded by tile floor or wood floor and the only way to get phone to it was to the nearest bedroom phone jack (it just happens to be the first jack on the run so we were seizing everythign there) BUT cant get to the demarc.

Rob

if only one line is being used you might be able to direct feed to your RJ-31x block using the black and yellow of the station wire. then back feed the house on the red and green. this will only work however if the home has a separate direct line for the digital feed.. if so then your ADSL/SDSL filter would go next to the demark..

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.