DSC random expansion trouble

I have a customer with a DSC 864 panel that is getting random expansion module failures. I have checked everything i know to check and everything that tech support can think of and i still get the random general system supervisory on it. It will go in to alarm and reset several times in a row and then not do it again for days. and it's never at the same times either.

Any ideas of where to look.

I replaced both expansion modules and checked all voltages at the modules. the only thing left id the keypad.

Reply to
motley me
Loading thread data ...

RHC: Yeah, I have seen this kind of thing the odd time as well with unknown "troubles". I'm sure you've thought of all these things, but here goes anyway. Assuming you've already changed out the modules....

1- Replace all wiring between modules and main board 2- Check module tamper wiring 3- Default panel and reprogram. 4- Make sure you have disabled supervisory signals to the station in the programming. 5- Replace main board as a last resort if defaulting doesn't solve the problem.

I use a lot of DSC products but at times they can drive you to drink....remember the old rule for DSC..." if you can't clear a weird trouble any other way, power down and back up, and it may go away"...???

However, your problem seems to be more unique in that it goes into alarm as opposed to just generating a trouble. You might end up replacing this main board if nothing else solves the problem. The worst problems are ones you solve but you don't know what you did, and you definately don't want to leave a board in service you can't trust....

Reply to
tourman

In addition to what RHC has suggested, check to see if you've enabled the keypad tamper switch at the rear of the keypad. If the wall's not "true" or the mounting plate is loose you may wind up with intermittent troubles like this. Also make sure all the attached keypads are responding and have separate addresses. Download the system log and see if you can trace the trouble that way. The next thing to do is replace the common control board and reprogram your system from scratch.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

tourman wrote in news:4697c55c-f708-4350-ab36- snipped-for-privacy@p20g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I am not actually going into alarm at the panel, just generating a supervisory and it won't let the customer arm the system. I'm almost to the point of replacing the main board.

Reply to
motley me

Frank Kurz wrote in news:39OdnSxvh48MTEvRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Only one keypad and no tamper on it. I have replaced the module that the buffer says is ausing the issue, but still having the issue.

Reprogramming the main board won't be from scratch, I have the program saved to my laptop.

Reply to
motley me

snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I think the point is that you SHOULD program it from scratch. Could be just some little glitch in the present program that you'd just program into the new board and have the same problem.

Reply to
Jim

"motley me" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : Xns9E293B927E0E2tommynospamcom@81.169.183.62...

I have a customer with a DSC 864 panel that is getting random expansion module failures. I have checked everything i know to check and everything that tech support can think of and i still get the random general system supervisory on it. It will go in to alarm and reset several times in a row and then not do it again for days. and it's never at the same times either.

I replaced both expansion modules and checked all voltages at the modules. the only thing left id the keypad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

did you used cat6 cable for the data?? if so, change that!!

this system is designed for quad wire, not for twisted pait.. its ok to is twisted pair on zones or ac or phone lines, but it wont cut on data line for DSC..

Reply to
Petem

"Petem" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : ibbgeu$777$ snipped-for-privacy@petem001.eternal-september.org...

"motley me" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : Xns9E293B927E0E2tommynospamcom@81.169.183.62...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

did you used cat6 cable for the data?? if so, change that!!

this system is designed for quad wire, not for twisted pait.. its ok to is twisted pair on zones or ac or phone lines, but it wont cut on data line for DSC..

One other thing.. Can you see if you have an Ham radio operator close to the site?

Had strange case like that where some panel would react strangly and it was caused by RF interference, but dont talk about it too much, we could trigger back our friend from belgium.

Reply to
<petem001

--=AD-------------------------------------

Now that you mention it, I think I'll look him up and see if he wants to say anything to you about this.

Reply to
Jim

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-------------------------------------

Now that you mention it, I think I'll look him up and see if he wants to say anything to you about this.

What did I do to deserve that ???? ;-)))

Speaking of RF and alarm..

My neighbourg panel is trigering when I transmit on HF frequency, it didnt used to do this but he say that its since I change my antenna and its my problem ;-))(the antenna was not change but cleaned..

He have an old Napco ma1008 installed in 1993.. Its allways zone 5 that trigger (basement IR) made some test and the panel wont even show an open zone if disamer and I transmit. But will react very fast as soon the panel is armed. The IR is not at fault cause there is no trigering by the IR (light stay off when transmitting) unless its the relay in it.. just think of it.. its an old apollo IR..

Anyone seen something like that? and if I am right the panel should show a zone open status even if disarm or it take a delay and the RF interference is not stable enough to make it show on the keypad???

If the panel need to be change what panel do you think should be used?

Reply to
Petem

run the loop wires through a toroid donut a couple of times, that will drop out small amounts of RF.. or, insert a RF filter coil in series with the loop..

DC should pass unaltered, but the ac/rf will be removed..

"Jim" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussi> "Petem" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-------------------------------------

What did I do to deserve that ???? ;-)))

Speaking of RF and alarm..

My neighbourg panel is trigering when I transmit on HF frequency, it didnt used to do this but he say that its since I change my antenna and its my problem ;-))(the antenna was not change but cleaned..

He have an old Napco ma1008 installed in 1993.. Its allways zone 5 that trigger (basement IR) made some test and the panel wont even show an open zone if disamer and I transmit. But will react very fast as soon the panel is armed. The IR is not at fault cause there is no trigering by the IR (light stay off when transmitting) unless its the relay in it.. just think of it.. its an old apollo IR..

Anyone seen something like that? and if I am right the panel should show a zone open status even if disarm or it take a delay and the RF interference is not stable enough to make it show on the keypad???

If the panel need to be change what panel do you think should be used?

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

--=AD-------------------------------------

Well, you mentioned him ..... so I thought maybe you missed him.

Cleaner electrons travel faster than dirty ones.

Here's a couple of suggestions. Move the PIR to another zone to see if the problem moves to the new zone. It just may cure the problem just by doing that. ..... If the problem moves to the new zone then you know it's the PIR and then you can just change that device. If the problem doesn't move, then you can try putting a .01 microfarad capacitor between the positive leg of the loop and ground. Or, as Rocky suggested use a toroid donut on the loop. Or, you could make your antenna dirty again. It may slow down the electrons.

If you want to stick with Napco, I use the Gemini 1632 now for all my smaller installations. Napco has smaller panels but I don't use them much. The only thing is, if you don't have the Napco downloader program and you aren't familiar with programing the Napco panels, keypad programming can have a long learning curve. You might want to replace the 1008 with one of the easier to program plastic DSC toys, that I think are popular in your area.

Reply to
Jim

Jim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

You might be right, but i don't know of any programming parameter that would cause this trouble condition.

Reply to
motley me

"Petem" wrote in news:ibbgeu$777$ snipped-for-privacy@petem001.eternal-september.org:

Nope this system has been around for a while. On regular 'ole 4-conductor

Reply to
motley me

wrote in news:ibbnq3$9a4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Now that's an idea. the location is next to a radio station.

Maybe I should wrap the keypad and control board in tinfoil to keep out the alien messages from causing random troubles.

Reply to
motley me

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.