DSC MD12 modem connection problems

I have a DSC MD12 modem and it seems I often fight with getting a working connection to panels that I know are programmed properly...in fact if I go back to DLS1 and a 1200 baud modem on exactly the same panel and I connect without issue. This is all fine and good except for those panels that can only be downloaded via DLS3 and the MD12 i.e. 1555mx. I've tried forcing the baud rate in the DLS software to various different settings and no joy. Interestingly enough if I have a tech on-site initiate a download it typically works fine.

Have I got a bad modem? Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Tower Security
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Roland More

I'm using a Hayes Optima 2400 external on DLS 2002 with no issues. js

Reply to
Buggs

Do you have DSL I found the modem does not like it.even if you have filters in place. works fine on non DSL line. the dsc modem does apear to be poorly designed becuse DSL is not an issue with any other modems i use.

remeber DSC stands for DiSConnected

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Yes to DSL on line. That could be it. I'll test this by dialing out on a non-DSL line to a panel without call-back enabled.

To the other question, I've typically use the double call. The panel picks up, says waiting for connection and then seems to time-out saying panel could not be identified.

I've also picked up another MD12 so between the non-DSL line and brand- new MD12 I should be able to narrow this down some.

Thanks for your help! Reg

Reply to
Tower Security

I download on DSL lines all the time. Your are correct, DSC panels don't like DSL. Just unplug the phone line going to the DSL modem. It will work fine after that.

Jim Rojas

Tower Security wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I experience the same problem continually when dialing in on a non DSL line as well. I also know my partner has the same problem when dialing in to his panels on a rural line. DSC tech support's only suggestion is to make sure we have the latest drivers for the DSL software, but can't offer any real assistance past that point.

In most instances, the panel will answer but the software gives the message "cannot identify panel". In others, the panel answers, but the line degrades to such a point that the panel finally hangs up (green line goes yellow, then recedes before hanging up).

This happens with either of two different MD12 modems that I have, so I doubt it is a defective modem. It's a real PITA.!! If you solve it, let me know. I've lived with this problem for years....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

With many telco providers going with digital lines to save money, this will only get worse. I don't use the auto detect panel feature anymore. I select the correct panel, and when online with panel, I then scan for installed devices. Sometimes this takes a few phone calls to get right, so I think it may be a software bug.

This even happens to panels I have successfully downloaded in the past. Which leads me to think that it is a software issue.

Jim Rojas

tourman wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I have seen this problem many times too. It happens a lot when the phone line the panel lives on seldom receives incoming calls that ring more than once. If I get a chance to ring the phone about a dozen rings worth it helps to get a good upload/download going. It is a good home remedy for boiling excess moisture out of the line. Another issue that I find that does this is improper line seizure. Even after the tech does it right, someone else will come along and fat finger the protector and cause problems. Then there is lightning's aftermath. Mother nature usually leaves a panel limping one way or another, not being able to upload/download is certainly one result. In about 50 % of the cases I find it is a failure of the panel itself, with no other real symptoms of panel failure. Back in the day of forever warranty it wasn't as much of an issue to swap, but replacing a panel just because it won't upload or download becomes its own issue when trying to charge the customer.

Reply to
Roland More

I have seen the line degradation issue a few times, and it seems to occur most often when downloading text to LCD keypads. I'm using a Hayes Optima

2400 though, so it's not just the MD-12. js
Reply to
Buggs

I use the Cardinal MB2400EX, Securcomm DL110, Hayes 1200 07-000038 & Practical Peripherals PM1200SA Mini. I tossed the MD12 a while ago.

Jim Rojas

Buggs wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Speaking of modems, does anyone know if I can use my Hayes 2400 Optima or Practical Peripherals PM1200SA to UL/DL a Silent Knight fire panel, or do I have to use their modem? js

Reply to
Buggs

Have you tried a different modem than the MD12? I've yet to ever see that happen and we have some shitty phone lines around the US

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yup, strangely enough I only use an MD12 on Paradox panels

Reply to
Mark Leuck

So what modem are you using with the DSC panels and DLS-3 software?

Reply to
Tower Security

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.