DSC LCD5500 Message Programming Question

I recently upgraded some older DSC LED keypads with LCD5500s. I have programmed all of the zone/partition/fire messages on one of the keypads, and I have tried to use the keypad program 096 (I think it was that, maybe it was 098, I don't have the manual in front of me) to communicate the text messages to the other keypads, but it doesn't accept the program entry. I think the manual I have is out of date, it only lists 32 zone messages while my panel and keypads support 64 zones. Can anyone tell me what the current LCD5500 program number is to transmit the programmed message prompts to other keypads? Would save me a bunch of button pressing....

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Reply to
Dave
Loading thread data ...

998 js
Reply to
Carl Carlson

The section is 998 (the manual is wrong). Also, the keypad that you want to use to broadcast must be the one in slot and partition 18 I believe

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Reply to
Just Looking

Never download what you can't hand program first

Reply to
Mark Leuck

What about panels that you can't hand program?

Reply to
Roland Moore

What about panels you can't download or hand program?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Tsk tsk.

I would have thought you'd have thrown that thought out along with 4/2 format.

After all, hand programing takes some thought and we wouldn't want anything like thinking to interfer with installing an alarm system.

Reply to
Jim

Or interfere.

Reply to
"Fat Tony" D'Amico

Odd thing to think

Well I can't speak for the way you choose to install an alarm system

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I would presume not.

Since you can't do it.

And if you did, you'd .... what(?) hand program it?

Yeh, sure!

Reply to
Jim

Thanks to you both, 998 worked.

I need to get some new DSC manuals, I guess.

Reply to
Dave

Can't do what? Install? I bet I've done more than you

Yes I would

You'd say that because your panel of choice is a pain in the ass to keypad program anyway, likely too tuff for you anyway

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You really think that you've installed more alarm systems than I have? I don't mean just program while you're sitting behind your desk doing a boilerplate download.

A number of years ago I tried to estimate how many installations I've done through the years (37, going on 38) (how many years did you say you actually installed (?) two was it? Well anyway, I estimated I'd installed somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand alarm systems.That was as of about 8 to 10 years ago So it's got to be 4 thousand or more by now. Not downloaded now ..... but actually installed or been on a crew that was installing. Back when I started, we were doing sometimes 3 /

4 installs a week for months and months ( I want to say years but I don't remember)

Now I do anywhere from 30 to 50 a year .... because they're a lot bigger jobs I don't have as many employees and home theater, resi/ small office LAN wiring, CATV/SAT wiring and whole house audio are better paying alternatives nowdays.

How about you?

Not likely. I've been using Napco for more years than you've been in the trade, (early to mid 80's) so their kepad programing is second nature. Back in the 90's I installed my first Gemini panel and immediately afterwards, I went out and bought a laptop dedicated to programing panels. It just doesn't make any sense to waste any time at all when all it takes is 20 or so minutes to do a 40 /50 zone panel with a laptop. Especially zone naming. I type 40 to 60 wpm ( US Navy Radioman, Cryptographer. Morse code over 60wpm and teletype operator at about 90wpm) so it's really a breeze for me, which I can see would be a deterrent to those who one finger or don't type at all.

And by the way, something that you've often said is ..... that more people hand program than use laptops. I guess it must be a something about the people you deal with. I've used your "statistic" in conversations around here and even mentioned it at an association meeting as if it were true and nobody I've ever talked to, ever programs anything they install by hand around here. Even from feedback from a few CS people. The small 15 minute panels .....yeah .... but anything 12 ..... 16 zones up ...... everyone uses laptop on the job or download from the main office. Haven't found one person who hand programs.

Must be the "NY minute" syndrome, in action or you've really been successful in dumbing down your employers customers. Maybe it's some kind of job security for you to be able to tell them how to do it by hand.(?) Hell, I guess if everybody programed by laptop, you'd be out of a job. So I guess that's an advantage for you ...... to deal with dummy customers(?) or what?

Reply to
Jim

Good because I wasn't talking about downloading

That makes us pretty even then

That was as

Yea see a crew that was installing is generally considered installing

Back when I started, we were doing sometimes 3 /

I did 7 or 8 a week for years because I do remember

Yea I would too if I had to think about hand programming a Gemini panel

It's not "my" statistic, it came from several manufacturers, it's THE reason why downloading software from every manufacturer is total garbage compared to any other software, its THE reason why Napco only in the last couple of years finally moved away from DOS, its THE reason why Honeywell Compass is

16-bit can still be run in Windows 3.1.

They will not put a ton of money into something so few people use, don't believe me ask them, ask any of them

Yea I imagine they also install Napco :)

If they all did it with laptops it wouldn't affect me one bit since I'm not in tech support fielding tech calls, haven't done that for years now

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Ummm yeah ...... that's what I said.

I don't understand your logic. It's important to you to use CID because you say that it's easy, convenient and fast. Yet you promote keypad programing?

Napco tech support guy I spoke to says most download. Like you say, likely due to the difficulty that some people have with their keypad programing, but certainly it's a lot quicker easier more convenient to do so even in comparison to hand programing other mfgs. You can't tell me that it's easier to program other mfg zone descriptions by hand and THAT's the one thing that takes the longest on any panel. So .... to me, any time saved by easy feature programing via keypad is lost in zone descriptions. And ..... there's no way to check your programing when done by keypad. With a laptop you've got a documented article to refer to rather than a penciled in sheet where you may have written one thing and programed another.

Well, no.

Even though this area is mostly napco land, uniquely, most people I come in contact with use Ademco/Honeywell. The use a laptop.

Glad to hear that. For their sake.

Reply to
Jim

I think the factory rep for eacg product line could give the best answer for these questions.

The DSC rep says 90 persent of his customers do keypad programming The Bosh rep says 90 perscent do download programming. I never asked the Napco or Honeywell rep. what their numbers are.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Bosch techs would have to do 90% downloading since until the 6412/4412 only the 2000 series panels were keypad programmable and the only alternative was buying expensive programmers, Honeywell says the same thing as DSC, same with pre-GE ITI and Caddx.

Not everyone carries a laptop and modem

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.