dsc gs3055-i

anyone else using the gs3055-i from dsc? i tried one today (that had otherwise been sitting around the office for the past few months) as a primary communicator (no phone line in the building)

everything seems like it's going through fine... confirmation beeps from keypad (1832 btw), no trouble codes flashing on communicator, no ftc trouble on the panel, not even a tlm trouble

however... no signals have come through yet

i suppose i should double check the sim card number tomorrow, but other than that what issues are to be expected with this setup? i'm really hoping the they won't have the same issues as some of the skyroute's did (also from connect24) where signals would take anywhere from 5-20 minutes to show up

also... yes the panel is reporting in contact id... and there's no 0's in the account number (that one has cost me enough brain cells)

anyway... i'll be heading back there in the morning so whatever help is available would be very much appreciated

- chris

Reply to
CH®IS
Loading thread data ...

Anything is possible here.

1. The dealer profile is not setup with the CS. (Very likely)
  2. Can you check on the web and see if the signal is getting out on the radio network ?

Reply to
A.J.

It seems redundant at the time, but that is the point of a backup.

Especially now that the 1832's have automatic contact ID and you don't need to program all the codes.

Always good, but why the serial port?

I wish there was a choice of service providers for my area. While Rogers has coverage all over Canada, Telus has much better coverage here.

The can: yes. The four tiny philips screws: not so much. Although if you do lose them, you could drill out the holes and use a real screw instead... just don't drill into the battery :)

Reply to
CH®IS

Wouldn't this be the point of the timer test? If you were just on a phone line and never had an alarm for 5 years there wouldn't be a difference.

This is some retarded customer service type, or the DSC "elite" tech support? I've always found DSC's tech support to be the best I've ever had to deal with.

Making it do something it's not designed to do might not be something they'd know about.

There are some customers who, after being in their home/business/whatever for 5 minutes, I already know I'm not going to show them how to use the stay and away keys, bypassing, adding codes, etc. Some people just aren't equipped with the ability to take that much in at once. "# and your code to arm or disarm" ... ... ... ... ... "So... I enter my code... then hold Away? And then when I come home I just push Stay right? So I can arm without my code, how come I need my code to disarm then?"

There seems to be a general rule for DSC's new products, which I'm sure I've learned from this group... don't bother for the first year. Let them work out the bugs and get things fixed in the next version.

If you want a poorly made, cheap feel... stick with GE's stuff. Their motions especially are horrible... and the Allegro panel backplates almost require you use a washer with the screw to make sure the screws won't pop out the back when you touch the panel.

Unless you're going to be calling back and want to talk to the same person again, do you really care what their name is? The ability to talk to someone with the fewest possible words and still come to a solution is nice for a change. For example, when I'm working on that "1832 with a 3055 I and no phone line", they know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't have to say that I'm working on an "DSC 1832 alarm system with a DSC GS 3055 I cell communicator to send signals without a phone line and using the communicator as the only method of communication... yes... an 1832... 18... no not the

832... the 1832... and ya... cell communicator... cell... as in cellular... 30... 55... yes that one.........................."

Ademco's number can surely be found on their site. Spend a couple hours programming a basic vista panel on compass? I think not.

Reply to
CH®IS

I'm not sure but I'd think that if that's what you really wanted, any backup radio can be made to do that. Coming built in .... is a plus though.

If it's for back up and not the main communicator, it really isn't that important to me what it sends, as long as the signal can be identified as burg, fire or panic.

I guess ..... Alarmnet's programer is what? $125.00?

That wasn't my experience. Kept losing supervision signals every couple of days on first unit. Second unit was better. Only lost it every couple of weeks.

Yes, much better metal than all their other boxes.

But ........Doesn't the lack of redundancy concern you?

To me ..... the absence of that ..... or I should say, the absence of DSC TELLING anyone that it isn't redundant and at the least ..... in the installation instructions, offering the option of having it send redundant signals or not ... is simply an effort on their part to cut down on the traffic on their network, rather then being concerned with security. IT'S A BACK UP DEVICE!!!!. Why wouldn't they at least MENTION that the device isn't going to send signals on the cellular network unless the phone line fails? Jeeeeze .... the phone line might work for a decade and the Cellular wouldn't be tested ONCE during all that time, unless someone puposely tested it by removing the telephone line and causing an alarm. If DSC doesn't tell anyone that that's the way it works, it's not likely that any technician going out to work on the system in the future, is ever going to think to remove the telephone lines to see if the cellular will send a signal.

Oh well. as the Italians say ...... Sausage his own.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.