DSC Communications trouble -

have a DSC632 Alarm. I have the alpha/num LCD pad (LCD5500z). I do not have CAT5 as my phone network. Only the older style (4wires REd, green, yellow, black) 2 line cabling.

I am somewhat familiar with the programing and have the service manual and unpublished service codes.

All my phone jacks in the house are live with Vonage. However, The alarm still gives me a constant yellow light and error code. communications Phone line Trouble code on the LCD pad.

By the way, I am not using a monitoring service anymore. (ADT) I would like the Alarm to notify myself when an event is tripped. I had it set up this way before when I had ADT. It called them and myslef on my cell phone. When a call came from home, I knew it was the alarm because no one else would call me from there. I didn't get any result codes because it was not setup in any useful format other than for ADT.

1.)Is there a way to reset the alarm. 2.)Is there a way to make the alarm NOT look for a dial tone.

Thanks so much

Reply to
wilsonbradley
Loading thread data ...

Vonage VoIP is unreliable (at best) for transmission of alarm signals. Dont waste your time, it will drive you nuts...and if you get it to work it may only work once in a while. Get a POTS line.

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.spamfree.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... | have a DSC632 Alarm. I have the alpha/num LCD pad (LCD5500z). I do | not have CAT5 as my phone network. Only the older style (4wires REd, | green, yellow, black) 2 line cabling. | | I am somewhat familiar with the programing and have the service manual | and unpublished service codes. | | | | All my phone jacks in the house are live with Vonage. However, The | alarm still gives me a constant yellow light and error code. | communications Phone line | Trouble code on the LCD pad. | | | By the way, I am not using a monitoring service anymore. (ADT) | I would like the Alarm to notify myself when an event is tripped. I had | it set up this way before when I had ADT. It called them and myslef on | my cell phone. When a call came from home, I knew it was the alarm | because no one else would call me from there. I didn't get any result | codes because it was not setup in any useful format other than for ADT. | | 1.)Is there a way to reset the alarm. | 2.)Is there a way to make the alarm NOT look for a dial tone. | | Thanks so much |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

the only way to get the error code removed from the panel is going to be when it succesfully communicate so you need to do a power down and power it back up and until next communication error it will remain ok

you can disactivate tlm and communication in section 380 light 1 has to be off to turn off comminication

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.spamfree.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SF9026

also i forgot you have pager format on there you can use

Reply to
SF9026

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.spamfree.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Yes. But not if it's locked out. Take the power down to the system by disconnecting the battery first. Then remove the transformer from the wall plug. Wait 30 seconds. Reconnect the battery and plug in the transformer. If you hear a series of "clicks" from the telephone relay, the panel's locked and your SOL.

Yes. But you have to get into installer level programming first. And you can only remove the "D" (dial tone search) via the downloading software. The system's firmware automatically places the "D" at the front of the dial string when you're keypad programming. You'll also have to disable the TLM (Telephone Line Monitoring).

You're welcome!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thank you guys so much for responding so far with useful information, especially how to enter program information.

Frank, I have the service access code for installer level. I believe this is what you were talking about. Im just having a hard time using the crappy service manuals from DSC. I think the technical writer should be shot. Im very technical and am having problems following the order of programming it when using the manual.

I think it could probably be easily explained on steps on how to turn off TLM for example.

Reply to
wilsonbradley

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.spamfree.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Actually the programming manual for the 832's pretty easy to follow. If you're trying to program it from the *installers* manual, that's a different kettle of fish, and can get pretty confusing for a newbie.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Well, I got my DSC Power 8300 to clear the trouble LED momentary until the alarm trips and tries to call. I disconnected all the power for a few minutes and when reconnected , set the clocks.

It dials my Cell phone fine now. It tries to dial it 3 times. Since my phone doesn't handshake, I guess that's why I get the yellow communications trouble light.

QUESTION: Is there a way make it not check to see if it got a response when calling?

I tried using all the manuals I have.. Still I feel they are very hard to read to use. Sections....bla blaa...bla I have installer code.

Thanks a million...

Reply to
wilsonbradley

Use the pager format

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Thanks, but when trying to follow that @!#$@! manual I have , It stopped dialing my phone. I got it working again. I tried to put pager HEX pauses and numbers. I took those back out.

Im not sure If I got it to take the pager format. Would someone please post quick steps once in service mode to change the communications to pager format?

Thanks so much.

I HATE THE MANUAL

Reply to
wilsonbradley

Im sure my neibors are tired of my alarm going off since iv'e been testing it so many times. I disconnected the Bell + to silence any alarms. Is there an easier way?

Reply to
wilsonbradley

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.spamfree.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Nope. Stick a 1000 ohm resistor across the siren terminals to make the trouble go away.

Reply to
Frank Olson

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.spamfree.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Sure. It's in "communicator format options". Section 360. Enter "05" twice.

Reply to
Frank Olson

See, I don't see how you got that from reading the manual. I see on page 19, Section 360 for communication but don't see 05 for the pager part.

Thank you so much.

I will try that tonight.

Reply to
wilsonbradley

Never knew there was a programming guide.

Can someone send or point me to the PDF for the programing guide.

That prob. would make things easier/

Thanks

Reply to
wilsonbradley

I think I found it.

formatting link
Is this what you have?It seems much simpler.

Reply to
wilsonbradley

Someone want to explain to this guy that there are 2 books for the

832. A programming guide (he does NOT have) and an installation book that he DOES have.

If someone would just tell him that from the beginning this would have been an easy problem to solve.

just my 2 cents worth

Terry

Reply to
Securitech

We like drawing things out for a nice long thread

Reply to
Mark Leuck

They can't post a better manual than THAT?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yup... that is the one.

Terry

Reply to
Securitech

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.