DSC 632 1555MX & TLM troubles

Hello,

I have a DSC Power Series 632 system with a 1555mx main board. The system is monitored and TLM is enabled. I am getting a Trouble Code #3 whenever my phone line goes off hook. The trouble disappears when the phone goes back on hook. The monitor company is getting messages all day long about phone line being restored. I check the incoming voltage for T&R on the panel. I have 50v dc when the phone is on hook and about

6.5v dc when the phone is off hook. The system communicates just fine with the monitoring company. I am only having problems when I am trying to use my shared phone line.

Any ideas????

Jason

Reply to
jason.norred
Loading thread data ...

You wouldn't by any chance be using "VOIP" would you???

Reply to
Frank Olson

50 VDC is more than adequate (above the threshold) for on-hook. Do you have any devices connected to the line that might drop the voltage such as FAX, Modem, or caller-ID units that might be acting flaky? Unplug them one at a time to diagnose it. Also check for oxidized wiring at the NID outside - (green copper). Make sure all the phone connections are good.

The off-hook voltage should be ~ 23V which leads me to think the device you tested it with may be drawing too much current (6.5 as reported is too low which will trigger the TLM). Test all the telephony devices one at a time with a voltmeter lifting each one off-hook.

Reply to
G. Morgan

The off hook voltage will normally be much lower than 23 volts, somewhere around 4.5 to 9 volts

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Check to see that the telco wiring to the control and RJ31X is wired properly. You might have the incoming telco wired to the premises side. js

Reply to
alarman

Shit, you're right. I was thinking of the trip voltage of a Silent Knight TLM which is > ~23 V

Reply to
G. Morgan

Ok... Here is what I did this morning to test...

I disconnected the yellow/black pair coming out of the alarm panel and connected my butt-set directly to the panel on the return side. Within a few seconds of going off hook with my butt-set, the alarm goes into trouble and comes out of trouble when I go back on hook. I tested the voltage on both sides of the panel. I'm still getting 50v dc on both sides, but now I only get 5.5v dc when I'm off hook.

Also, after browsing the net I see that most people have a RJ31x jack before the alarm panel. My original installer didn't put one in. My telco line comes straight into the panel from the demarc.

Any ideas?

Jason

Reply to
JasonN

I can't believe you said that. It wouldn't dial out and he'd get an FTC

Reply to
mikey

I disconnected the yellow/black pair coming out of the alarm panel and connected my butt-set directly to the panel on the return side. Within a few seconds of going off hook with my butt-set, the alarm goes into trouble and comes out of trouble when I go back on hook. I tested the voltage on both sides of the panel. I'm still getting 50v dc on both sides, but now I only get 5.5v dc when I'm off hook.

Also, after browsing the net I see that most people have a RJ31x jack before the alarm panel. My original installer didn't put one in. My telco line comes straight into the panel from the demarc.

Any ideas?

What's the delay set to in section 370 ?

Jason

Reply to
mikey

Best thing to do is turn off TLM, DSC 's implementation isn't very good

Reply to
Mark Leuck

It's called a "blonde moment" in real life.

It's called making a "Bass" in ASA.

Reply to
Frank Olson

That's the first I heard of that. I've got a lot of DSC panels out there and most have TLM enabled with *zero* problems. Must be the "US version" stuff, eh? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

ditto, I've extended the delay on the odd one, other than that, works well.

I'll never understand why they send the signals that didn't get through on an FTC restoral though. Stupid feature. Telco repairs a cut line and police respond after the fact. D'uh.

That's the first I heard of that. I've got a lot of DSC panels out there and most have TLM enabled with *zero* problems. Must be the "US version" stuff, eh? :-)

Reply to
mikey

Do you happen to have a cordless phone? These will frequently drop the phone line voltage too low when you carry the phone either out of range on nearly out of range.

Reply to
thesatguy

I could see that happen if the panel has sent a burg signal along with the FTC, they can't tell WHEN the burg signal occured

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Having such low voltage from the line with only 1 telephone off hook is not normal..

Here with 1 telephone i have more then 16 volt,with 2 i have ~9 and with 3 stll 6 volt...

i am sure you have a low audio level on that line..cause you must have a too large resistance on the wiring from the telco,check for defective isolator at the phone entrance too..there is (here in canada) some kind of carbone surge protector on old line,those can make a lot of problem if they did receive a jolt...

"JasonN" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@d56g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Pierre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.