DSC 5400 info needed

Has anyone used DSC's (apparently unknown) 5400 Printer Interface Module yet?

We have an installation planned to use one of these to connect an 1832 to one of their computers to use the DLS SA software (openings, closing, codes, etc.).

I've done this with the Maxsys and a 4401(?) module many times without problem. However, the manual for the 5400 doesn't mention any other function other than connecting to a printer.

Is this an option or not? If not, is there anything else for an 1832 (besides a T-Link) that will do this.

- Chris

Reply to
CH®IS
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
CH®IS

If it's a serial connection you should have no problems using a terminal program to log the output. Obviously if anything happens to the computer... Also, most terminal programs only save the log file when you close the connection. I suppose a custom program could save every time it gets a return.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Should I take that as a "no" then?

I hate jobs like these. Not a major installation by the sounds of it, but when a sales guy tells another sales guy it'll work and it's up to the installer to make it work it usually doesn't.

- Chris

Reply to
CH®IS

So just to update... It turns out that the 5400 will work with the standard Hyper Terminal windows program.

However, with this program, once you close the program everything is gone. You do have the option of copying whatever you'd like or printing it, just don't close the program.

Also, as part of the 5400, there is a 6-pin to parellel adapter included. In order for this application to work, you'd need the 6-pin to serial adapter (included with the PC Link).

So as long as the customer doesn't mind potentially losing the event buffer whenever they accidentally turn this off and they never turn that computer off it should be fine. And of course, if you shut the program down, the panel thinks the printer is offline and sends a trouble signal... which in itself should be additional incentive not to shut it down.

- Chris

Reply to
CH®IS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.