DSC 1555MX and PC1616 in alarm

Hi,

First time posting ever. I have 1555MX & PC1616 both in alarm state. Prior owners lost home to bank...no codes available. Is there any way to recover them?

Thanks so much for any help.

Reply to
E DAWSON
Loading thread data ...

nope need to default and reprogram panels

Reply to
nick mark59

Both boards have installer lockout enabled.

Reply to
E DAWSON

your shit out of luck either replace boards or use a service like Jim Rojas provides which unlocks them

formatting link

Reply to
nick mark59

Thanks for trying and sorry you could not help me.

Is there a way to log into a DSC when it is in alarm using software? I do know how to get into GE Networx in any armed state using software without knowing any codes at all. I am looking for information from someone who knows specifically about DSC and has had much experience with those boards. Thanks again.

Reply to
E DAWSON

RHC: Bottom line, the 1555 can easily be unlocked by someone who does that (Jim Rojas, myself, or Action Jackson in Vancouver, Canada). It will need to be disarmed first before it can be defaulted though, but this is easy to do if you are into doing this sort of thing. I default dozens of DSC and Paradox panels every month for local alarm companies and individual homeowners. You can dial in to either of these panels, and get in provided you know the PC code in the panel. Some companies leave it at default, but anyone who is going to the trouble to lock the board likely knows not to do that...

The 1616, 1832 and 1864 series of panels are another matter altogether. The bastards at DSC have deliberately engineered things such that it is at the moment, impossible to unlock. And the reason why they have done that has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the lockout feature or not; it's simply done for monetary reasons. For every board that Jim or I unlock, that is one less board they sell....it's always money before ethics, and especially so for some companies like DSC !!!

A very strong case can be made for eliminating this lockout feature altogether from alarm boards since it serves NO legitimate purpose today. It was originally brought in to allow the "free system" marketeers some freedom from other companies "raiding" their accounts. In order to steal the account, the new company would have to replace the board, which, back in those days, was quite expensive. However, today, with boards being about $50 each wholesale replacement, it serves absolutely no purpose....unless you're one of those scumbag companies that deliberately sabotage boards to force homeowners to come back to the original company, or you are one of those same low life companies that simply do this to get back at another incoming company.

More often than not, it simply serves to discourage any new homeowner from using the board in "local" mode (minus monitoring), since it cannot normally be defaulted without the assistance of the original company who in turn won't assist unless the new client signs on to one of their atrocious, overpriced contracts.

Bottom line, it's like someone selling you a used car with a non removeable padlock on the hood...holding you hostage to them for service !! It should be illegal frankly, but that's not likely to happen with all the other bad things going on in life and business....

There is a lesson here for potential buyers of alarm systems though. Get it in writing in the contract that the board will remain unlocked from the start. Unlocking it at the end of the contract is NOT satisfactory, since a lot of smaller companies simply disappear, or get sold to another larger conglomerate who may not even know it is locked.

Either way, as this homeowner is finding out, you're screwed !

Reply to
tourman

If the board is locked out, and it has been previously downloaded by the original installation company, then you won't be able to log into the panel with the downloading access ID code. As the man said previously, you're SOL. Jim Rojas provides a board unlocking service. You should contact him through his website at

formatting link
If you can contact the installation company, they may be able to unlock the board for you (for a fee). Chances are they'll want to sign you up for monitoring at the same time. Unless you have the installer code, you will NOT be able to enter board level programming.

The one thing you should confirm is whether or not the board IS actually locked. Power down the system first (remove AC and battery). Wait for thirty seconds. Plug the battery back in then plug in the wallwart. If you hear the telco relay clicking several times, this means the board is locked. If you don't, you will be able to default it and program it from scratch. If you need the programming manual, shoot me a quick email or call the toll-free number on my website and I'll send it to you.

Good luck!!

Reply to
Frank Kurz

RHC; Frank, Jim cannot unlock the DSC 1616 series boards either. We work together to some degree and I would know right up front if he had found a way to do this.

Good point though about making sure it is unlocked !! Many not really familiar with alarm boards could easily confuse simply changing the installer code (which is normal) with locking the board (which is quite different)...

Reply to
tourman

RHC; Frank, Jim cannot unlock the DSC 1616 series boards either. We work together to some degree and I would know right up front if he had found a way to do this.

Good point though about making sure it is unlocked !! Many not really familiar with alarm boards could easily confuse simply changing the installer code (which is normal) with locking the board (which is quite different)...

If I know how to get into any Networx panel in alarm state without knowing the download code or installer code, is it possible to do the same thing on a DSC the same way that I do on a Networx without getting into how it is done in these posts? I was trying to find out before I install all the software needed to get into a DSC and learn it as well. I guess this is a question for those who know what I am talking about. It would be helpful for the 1555MX at least. I should have mentioned that I do work in the industry beforehand.

Reply to
E DAWSON

You can access the panel while it's armed and in the alarm state, but you'll need the remote access ID code. If you DON'T have that I suppose you could try the default code, but chances are it's been changed too (particularly if the panel IS locked out). Your best bet (in that case) is to spend $80.00 and buy a new board. I was going to suggest spending about $30.00 more and getting the Power 864 board but please make sure your enclosure is the "large" one. I recently observed an alarm company installing a PC1616 in one of the dinkiest cans I've ever seen (I swear it was about the width of the common control board. The biggest battery he could fit was a 4.5 AH and then he wound up literally STUFFING the wire into the box and forcing the door closed. I suppose you could call it an "alarm force" job. I pity the guy that unscrews the door to change the battery. "Sproing!"

Reply to
Frank Kurz

What's wrong with that???

That's an added feature in all my installations.

I call it "Automatic battery eject" ........ for only one additional dollar per month.

Reply to
Jim

So, to be specific Frank, you do know what I am talking about in getting into Networx panels? You have been able to get into Networx without knowing any installer code and any download code and have been successfully connecting to them even in an armed state? And so based upon that info and experience you have tried the same exact way and have not been able to do this with DSC 1555MX, is that correct? I am being specific for a reason. I am not looking for book knowledge, only hands on experience. Thanks so much again.

Reply to
E DAWSON

Without the downloading access code that's been programmed in the specific panel you're trying to connect to, you will get booted.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

And you know this how? Which manufacturer told you this?

Lets do the math, you and Jim unlock maybe a few dozen boards a year (okay = let's say 100 total) and DSC sells several hundred thousand boards a year. = Considering the low profit margin of an alarm board I somehow seriously dou= bt they do it for revenue. If I remember there was a time they didn't would= n't take locked boards at all back in the mid 90's. A company I worked for = was sending several hundred PC1500 v3 panels monthly at the time.

And you know THIS how? Which manufacturer said this?

If I recall old FBI and Ademco panels had that feature a long time before t= he free system guys arrived. Besides that most panels back then were chip-p= rogrammable with no reason for any lockout feature.

And doesn't Paradox allow locking peripherals to a particular panel?

Actually that isn't true either, in most cases the new company will easily = replace the panel with a new board or whatever complete system they normall= y install.

And as far as discouraging the homeowner from using the board in local mode= ask any central station how many signals they get from systems they haven'= t monitored in years, the customer cancels the service but the system conti= nues to call (and be ignored) by the central station.

Reply to
mleuck

RHC: Well, with no real value at all, there is no other reason why any company would take the deliberate action of blocking someone from entering the back door of the panel other than money !! Since YOU challenge my assertion, YOU tell us why a manufacturer would deliberately go out of there way to redesign the board so a few little guys like Jim and I can't crack the board any longer. They have no idea (nor do you) how many boards we actually default, so they, like most large companies today, simply put the bottom line over ethics, and deliberately re-inforce a software procedure which has no redeeming value. In all the years I've been in business, I can't think of a single valid reason for this feature other than to frustrate someone taking the board over.

y let's say 100 total) and DSC sells several hundred thousand boards a year= . Considering the low profit margin of an alarm board I somehow seriously d= oubt they do it for revenue. If I remember there was a time they didn't wou= ldn't take locked boards at all back in the mid 90's. A company I worked fo= r was sending several hundred PC1500 v3 panels monthly at the time.

RHC; I'm sure it had to do with the price of labour for them to unlock the boards. Plus what do they do with a used board once it's available for re-use.....same old reasoning, bottom line !! Plus, should our techniques become known out there in the world, and this activity become much more active, there goes far more boards than the number that Jim and I unlock. It's called "knipping it in the bud", all with a view towards the bottom line. They want to sell new boards, not allow a feature that keeps older ones working longer......

RHC: This is certainly the only reason I can see after 20 years of being in this business. And no manufacturer is going to come right out and advertise the availability of a feature which they know deep down shouldn't even be in their panels.They did it because of a large demand by these same marketeers !! If YOU think this feature is valid, YOU tell us why this feature is still used (even actively modified as with DSC) in these alarm boards ! You're always so quick to challenge others - now you put up or shut up !! And when you do, I'll give you the email address of the detective in Denver who was going to campaign to make it illegal in Colorado to do this....

the free system guys arrived. Besides that most panels back then were chip=

-programmable with no reason for any lockout feature.

RHC: Yes, but only with one line of boards - the Digiplex. AND, I do know one installer who wires in the circular loop, with all addressable components locked as you describe. When approached about it, he clearly laid out that it was to keep others from taking over his accounts !! (and screw the customer). After I told him in no uncertain terms what I thought of his practices, we are no longer on speaking terms.....

y replace the panel with a new board or whatever complete system they norma= lly install.

RHC: Exactly, and in doing so, the manufacturer sells another board !!!!

I can't count the number of times this has been the situation...take off your rose coloured glasses. I've had it happen many, many times (and know it was for those reasons, by listening over a speaker phone as the old company tried it's extortion techniques.....)

de ask any central station how many signals they get from systems they have= n't monitored in years, the customer cancels the service but the system con= tinues to call (and be ignored) by the central station.

RHC: Yes, but this has nothing to do with the discussion here !

RHC: I would seriously like to hear from those who think this is a good feature ! Over the years I've brought this up many times, and all I get is complete silence. Those of us in the industry that really care about making it better, have a duty to bring up the nefarious and outright dishonest practices that we all face. If we don't, who the hell will !! We talk about the usefulness of a newsgroup, well here you go.....

It sure as hell won't be the large corporations who always put money first. Companies like ADT who should be the market leader, simply aren't when it comes to hazy practices that affect our industry (although in all honesty, I've never found a locked ADT board that wasn't locked by some some subcontractor unbeknownst to them....).

So, you first Mark....

Reply to
tourman

kay let's say 100 total) and DSC sells several hundred thousand boards a ye= ar. Considering the low profit margin of an alarm board I somehow seriously= doubt they do it for revenue. If I remember there was a time they didn't w= ouldn't take locked boards at all back in the mid 90's. A company I worked = for was sending several hundred PC1500 v3 panels monthly at the time.

re the free system guys arrived. Besides that most panels back then were ch= ip-programmable with no reason for any lockout feature.

ily replace the panel with a new board or whatever complete system they nor= mally install.

mode ask any central station how many signals they get from systems they ha= ven't monitored in years, the customer cancels the service but the system c= ontinues to call (and be ignored) by the central station.

RHC: It's been a week now and the silence is deafening. To me that says a lot about the state of our industry....:((

Reply to
tourman

Silence in the group or this thread?

Group has been slow but not dead silent.

But,I told you how this is going to end up, Robert. Ya gotta picture it now= . Two old geezers, down in Florida in their respective nursing homes, sitti= ng on the sun porch in their wheelchairs with lap blankets, "think typing" = to each other on their IBrainphones about the pro's and con's of long term = contracts. Both of us not realizing that it is long past the time after Ma= gic Jack has taken over all alarm monitoring in the world, in The Cloud.

Reply to
Jim

ow. Two old geezers, down in Florida in their respective nursing homes, sit= ting on the sun porch in their wheelchairs with lap blankets, "think typing= " to each other on their IBrainphones about the pro's and con's of long ter= m contracts. Both of us not realizing that it is long =A0past the time afte= r Magic Jack has taken over all alarm monitoring in the world, in The Cloud= .

RHC: Well you could be right about it, at least as far as this newsgroup is concerned. There's not much life left in the old lady anymore. Seems to have died off right after RLB passed away...dunno what that says, but it is what it is.

I wouldn't worry about VoIP; that's never going to amount to much for alarm purposes, since it is designed without error checking, and was never designed for digital data. Besides IP communications is coming up so strongly that it will quickly surpass it, since it works. Five years from now, every board manufactured will come with IP on board including the necessary RJ45 connector. VoIP...also a dead issue

I'm not sure I'm going to bother with this newsgroup much anymore, but after 15 years it's hard to discard. It's also discouraging to think that few others care to deal with the ills of our industry unless they directly impact their bottom line...

Reply to
tourman

now. Two old geezers, down in Florida in their respective nursing homes, s= itting on the sun porch in their wheelchairs with lap blankets, "think typi= ng" to each other on their IBrainphones about the pro's and con's of long t= erm contracts. Both of us not realizing that it is long =A0past the time af= ter Magic Jack has taken over all alarm monitoring in the world, in The Clo= ud.

It says that if you weed out all the BS that went on all those years, along= with all of the great participants that left in disgust, because of it, an= d who will never return ................... this is what's left. It didn't = have to be this way if only we could have found a way to curtail the abuse = and instigation of turmoil. But as you say ..... it are wat it are.=20

Well, IP has got to have more reliablity test time under it's belt before t= he industry ( particularly the fire industry) is going to trust it. Radio/c= ellular seems to be coming along oK but without two way communication, I do= n't think it should be acceptable.=20

Well I've been participating since 1998 and I don't remember that you were = posting for at least the first couple or few years, unless you were using a= different name early on. But I just sort of sign on as a matter of habit n= ow. Every once in a while someone will ask a question or I have one. Seems = that as comparatively inactive a group as it is .... it's still the most ac= tive alarm group in the ALT. groups.=20

I kind of agree with you on that last line. Seems to me that instead of get= ting more secure we're letting more and more holes appear in the equipment = design and monitoring procedures.=20

I'll see if I can start a new thread about something that's been bothering = me for sometime now. I don't know if it's just my inability to know about a= ll products on the market or if it's a trend. Gimmie a few days, I'm pretty= busy right now. =20

Reply to
Jim

I am not certain where you are located, but around here you can't lock a customer's panel up that wants it unlocked. Stated most simply is that if the alarm company doesn't actually own the panel, and locks it, then it is treated as an illegal "taking" of that panel from the customer. I think finding out what the law is where you are and finding out who the installer was could get you the lockout code or have the installing company unlock it for you.

Hi,

First time posting ever. I have 1555MX & PC1616 both in alarm state. Prior owners lost home to bank...no codes available. Is there any way to recover them?

Thanks so much for any help.

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.