DSC 1404 zone doubling

Anyone have an idea how to wire for zone doubling at the new DSC 1404 (4-8 zone) panel? Following the schematic diagram its ok but is this the only way to wire? Cause you have to be a "nuclear scient" in order to do that! I mean its completely useless....

Reply to
spyros
Loading thread data ...

8 zone) panel? Following the schematic diagram its ok but is this the only way to wire? Cause you have to be a "nuclear scient" in order to do that! I mean its completely useless....

Zone doubling has been around for quite a long time. I have never met one p erson that has ever used it. It's not hard to hook up .... you just have to use two different EOL resistors. But labling wires and zones has got to b e pretty detailed to keep the zones organized.

I don't use it because I think that if there were ever a problem that trou ble shooting could be difficult and time consuming. When doing an estimate for a job I just include zone expanders in the price and wire individual zo nes which keeps things pretty simple.

Reply to
Jim

8 zone) panel? Following the schematic diagram its ok but is this the only way to wire? Cause you have to be a "nuclear scient" in order to do that! I mean its completely useless....

I have used zone doubling couple times when I needed 10-12 zones just nee d to keep wires correct and well marked like jim said for later trouble sh ooting

Reply to
NickMark

I thought the same thing, you are better off using a 1616 instead, I can't understand why anyone would release a panel that didn't do wireless these d ays

Reply to
mleuck

t understand why anyone would release a panel that didn't do wireless these days

OK, I'm curious... why does this panel exist? I had a quick look at DSC's site...

formatting link
...and see nothing about it that makes me want to use one instead of a 1616 or an 1832.

And if the new keypad is the selling feature, I don't want one of those eit her...

formatting link
...it r eminds me of the old (circa PC2550 or so?) keypads designed to be flush mou nt into a single-gang electrical box.

I can't remember the last time I installed a system with 4 or less zones. I definitely haven't thought I really need fewer zones, codes, keypads, par titions, events on the event buffer, and possibly zone/PGM types. If anyon e from DSC is lurking, please explain why I should use this panel rather th an a 1616 or an 1832. Is this going to be a $20 panel and you're just goin g for a low price point? If so, I'm still not buying it.

And remember, I prefer to use DSC panels.

- Chris

Reply to
Chris

he same thing, you are better off using a 1616 instead, I can't understand why anyone would release a panel that didn't do wireless these days OK, I'm curious... why does this panel exist? I had a quick look at DSC's site...

formatting link
...and see not hing about it that makes me want to use one instead of a 1616 or an 1832. A nd if the new keypad is the selling feature, I don't want one of those eith er...
formatting link
...it re minds me of the old (circa PC2550 or so?) keypads designed to be flush moun t into a single-gang electrical box. I can't remember the last time I insta lled a system with 4 or less zones. I definitely haven't thought I really n eed fewer zones, codes, keypads, partitions, events on the event buffer, an d possibly zone/PGM types. If anyone from DSC is lurking, please explain wh y I should use this panel rather than a 1616 or an 1832. Is this going to b e a $20 panel and you're just going for a low price point? If so, I'm still not buying it. And remember, I prefer to use DSC panels. - Chris

I'm guessing most Mfg's have panels like this. It appeals to the "lickum st ickum) companies. When you're installing 20 free panels a day, 20 bucks per panel means more. It's not about the security, benefits or features.

Reply to
Jim

stickum) companies. When you're installing 20 free panels a day, 20 bucks p er panel means more. It's not about the security, benefits or features.

Then you're going to be needing wireless. Like I always say about doorknoc kers: they're not selling alarm systems, they're selling contracts.

I did a service call yesterday to re-install a bedroom window contact. Of course, it had been installed by doorknockers less than a year ago.

They mounted the magnet to the frame with some sort of orange glue (usually they use clear silicone). Screws, of course, are too difficult. But then they mounted the contact to the glass itself with the same glue (there was a screen on the window and not enough room to do it any other way). Being a south-facing window, it got hot and melted off. So I installed a hardwi red surface contact (with just enough room behind the screen), and wired it to the existing wireless contact (which is now on the wall above the windo w). Mounted everything with screws, as crazy as that concept may be. The most difficult part of the whole service call was getting the backplate off of the rest of the contact as some glue had dripped into it.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised they don't use something like DSC's Alex or more often. Probably too expensive and technical, but it would be easie r to wire than a Lynx Touch, SimonXT or 2gig.

- Chris

Reply to
Chris

zone) panel? Following the schematic diagram its ok but is this the only way to wire? Cause you have to be a "nuclear scient" in order to do that! I mean its completely useless....

person that has ever used it. It's not hard to hook up .... you just have to use two different EOL resistors. But labling wires and zones has got to be pretty detailed to keep the zones organized.

shooting could be difficult and time consuming. When doing an estimate for a job I just include zone expanders in the price and wire individual zones which keeps things pretty simple.

I've never done DSC zone doubling but have used the Ademco several times.

Basically you have two circuits in parallel - it doesn't work with normally open type devices.

A short on one wire will show up on both zones so to troubleshoot I simply meter both wires tied to the zone terminals. As has been mentioned - very good idea to mark the wires clearly, but that has always been how I try to mark them.

I've been using zone doubling since Ademco came out with it and have only had to troubleshoot two sets of zone doubled points and these were on the same system and water getting into the walls was the issue both times - so this house has more issues than a skippy alarm...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

(4-8 zone) panel? Following the schematic diagram its ok but is this the on ly way to wire? Cause you have to be a "nuclear scient" in order to do that ! I mean its completely useless....

ne person that has ever used it. It's not hard to hook up .... you just hav e to use two different EOL resistors. But labling wires and zones has got to be pretty detailed to keep the zones organized.

trouble shooting could be difficult and time consuming. When doing an estim ate for a job I just include zone expanders in the price and wire individua l zones which keeps things pretty simple.

I dont prefer zone doubling at all, cause when you have long wires sometime s the wire resistor change the zone doubling loop resistor and problems cam e up. sometimes you get alarm from i.e. z3 and simoultaneously opens also z

7 (the doubled zone) and you get confused. I mention about DSC 1404 zone do ubling cause my main concern in this type of zone doubling is that it is co mplicated a lot. Most of the systems just have to use 2 different values of resistor. In 1404 you use 3 different values and 4 resistors in one loop! How they believe in DSC that an installer will trust such a complicated 4 z one (small) system?
Reply to
spyros

understand why anyone would release a panel that didn't do wireless these days

site...

formatting link
...and see nothing about it that makes me want to use one instead of a 1616 or an 1832.

either...

formatting link
...it reminds me of the old (circa PC2550 or so?) keypads designed to be flush mount into a single-gang electrical box.

definitely haven't thought I really need fewer zones, codes, keypads, partitions, events on the event buffer, and possibly zone/PGM types. If anyone from DSC is lurking, please explain why I should use this panel rather than a

1616 or an 1832. Is this going to be a $20 panel and you're just going for a low price point? If so, I'm still not buying it.

Same here. I've been a dsc user a long time. With all the advances coming out, why step backwards.?

Reply to
Tommy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.