Downloading Panels Via VoIP

Ok...since many of you are having these issues, I think I will start this thread sharing what I have found out using trial and error.

Vonage: You can download most panels through Vonage. You just have to have the customer max out the bandwidth, shut off voice mail if you need a high ring count, and remove any dual ring & message forwarding. Shutdown all computers until you are done. Once the download is completed, the customer can put all settings as they were. Contact ID seems to work fine. SIA, or any format that has long strings should be avoided.

MagicJack: Napco panels seems to download fine with no issues. Everything else is a shot in the dark. It all depends on bandwidth. Make sure no other computers are using any bandwidth.

Cable VoIP: Should not be an issue other than having to reverse or bypass the line seizure altogether. Echo problems can occur.

FiOS VoIP: The cleanest connection of all. Might have echo issues due to long distance data compression.

Unfiltered DSL: Have customer unplug DSL modem. Wait 5-10 minutes, then try to download the panel.

Other Notes: Make sure you turn your modem speaker on low or medium so you get an idea what's going on at all times.

If you are getting heavy echos on the line, just turn on your speakerphone like you would on Napco panels. This seems to work on DSC panels well.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas
Loading thread data ...

Unfiltered DSL: Have customer unplug DSL modem. Wait 5-10 minutes, then

I insist that a POTS line with DSL over it has an alarm DSL filter at the panel. They are not cheap like ordinary DSL filters, but it eliminates problems completely. DSL doesn't even have to shut down while the panel communicates.

That is an excellent tip. I have always had my modem on when communicating with alarm panels and phone systems. Amazing how many problems are quickly figured out that way.

If you are getting heavy echoes or tin canning many panels will also have problems recognizing the kiss off from a central station receiver. Amazingly this seems to be also related to format. It seems that the FBII XL31 really doesn't like anything but the most perfect line when sending CID so I leave all my old XL31s in 4x2 format. I can't figure out why. They both recognize the same kiss off tone. I also ran across a Firelite panel that would lock up on the kiss off tone if sending CID, but if sending 4x2 it worked fine.

Bob La Londe

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Good tips Bob.

I usually try CID first, then 4x2 40BPS or 20BPS.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

MagicJack:

There is information available on the internet that allows anyone using a MagicJack to convert it into an ATA device you plug into your router like Vonage. This will eliminate the need to keep a computer running when using the Magicjack service. Once this is done, You can now download Ademco, DSC, DMP, Radionics, etc. using the ATA setup. Limit this to one phone number even though many ATA devices can handle 1-8 lines. Unless you have FiOS level of bandwidth, stick to the one ATA device per router port.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I wont hook to Vonage. My reasoning is (and now with your experience above to support it) If you can have problems downloading there's every reason to suspect that there is a possibility that it wont communicate during an alarm condition. That is, unless we can get the intruder to max out the bandwidth, shut off voice mail and remove any dual ring & message forwarding and shutdown all computers before he breaks in.

Reply to
Jim

I wont hook to Vonage. My reasoning is (and now with your experience above to support it) If you can have problems downloading there's every reason to suspect that there is a possibility that it wont communicate during an alarm condition. That is, unless we can get the intruder to max out the bandwidth, shut off voice mail and remove any dual ring & message forwarding and shutdown all computers before he breaks in.

... and there are IP reporting devices that will work better for reporting. Unfortunately they do not allow for downloading. I guess the thing to do is figure out how to use both. I don't really worry about it. I just delete the IP device serial number form the CS server if they cancel service.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

RHC: I agree completely !!!! I go one step further and refuse to hook up an alarm panel to ANY version of VoIP except the cable service offering (which is kind of like an internal VoIP service that doesn't go out over the internet). If they don't have a telco line or cable phone, and don't want to use a cellular backup device, they can damn well go somewhere else for their service. There are lots of money hungry companies around that care more about their money than their security......

It's interesting to note the monitoring station I use feels the same way; they've had far too many troubles with VoIP connected alarms (no signals, intermittent signals, dispatches to the wrong account etc as information gets garbled on the internet). The ONLY IP module they will allow on the station runs about $1000...the cheapies $100 to $300...no go !

Reply to
tourman

Here is a piece I did while back dealing with this situation enjoy

Ensuring your Alarm Signals Reach the Central Station in the age of Digital Phone Lines

By: Nick Markowitz Jr.

The problem happens more often in residential systems but the commercial alarm side sees its share of these problems as well. A customers alarm goes off but the Central Station does not receive the signal. After a tech is sent to investigate it is found that the customer has switched to a new phone carrier and the phone line was hooked up wrong or the format being sent by the panel is incorrect. Now what? I have been dealing with this for many years now and I have some tips which can help guide you thru the jungle that has been created out there with all the different phone carriers including preventive measures which can warn you when a problem develops.

Tip 1. All panels should be set to send a test signal even if the panel can only be set for 30 days you will eventually know something is wrong when you do not get the test ideally if panel can be set to weekly is even better. When your customer gets the fail to communicate at there panels hopefully they will call you.

Tip 2. If you send out a newsletter or even with monthly billing , be sure to let customers know to alert you when they change phone service and to also test there alarm before the phone installer leaves to make sure it is working properly.

Tip 3. set the panel to communicate with Contact ID , SIA or Modem II formats these are true digital formats which digital phone lines have an easier time transmitting and the noise on digital lines can confuse older 3/1 4/1 formats and trick them into thinking they communicated. If one of the modern formats is not available use BFSK-4/2 format which also works well with digital in fact some customers who switch to VOIP style phone service you will find 4/2 is only format which will transmit over VOIP.

Tip 4. Shut off the rotary back up feature and use only touchtone dialing many digital lines no longer recognize rotary and if they do it must be much slower than most panels dial. Shutting off rotary can help insure a signal gets thru as many panels try touchtone then switch to rotary which can slow the panel from getting thru on additional tries.

Tip.5 Use the alternative 10 digit non toll free number for back up in case the toll free number is not working properly also do not forget the 1 digit at beginning of the 10 digit number.

Tip 6. Many of my high risk commercial fire customers who are using digital phone lines I have added a Cell back up unit to make sure the signal gets thru

Tip 7. Make sure the Channel bank or other digital phone line interface is backed up with adequate sized UPS to increase battery life to required 24 hr back up.

Tip 8. I set where possible panels which are on Digital lines to send there AC loss signals As soon as possible so it is known there is a problem on site before digital phone lines go down. By the time batteries go low on a fire system and it try=92s to send a signal the digital phone service may already be out. Not a good situation on a long holiday weekend.

Tip 9. Where possible if downloading is available to a panel an occasional look-in with software on a long weekend can help insure peace of mind and catch problems.

These tips are what I am using to make sure signals get thru and it has helped greatly in catching phone problems before a tragedy happens.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I wouldn't connect anything to Vonage, have had excellent results with Verizon FIOS. The more I get into IP or cell the less I care about POTS anyway.

Reply to
mleuck

I have FIOS but insisted they keep my pots line we get too many power failures around here during the big snow storm i was only one with phone service

Reply to
nick markowitz

Getting to love IP reporting & programming. Cell Network is very cool too although it ends up costing the client more money, we can do two way SMS with the panel and clients love that shit.

Reply to
Crash

Are you using it with back up radio ? That is ..... How do you feel about the reliability of it?

I'd sure like to get into using it but I can't seem to get my head around the fact that the alarm system thats supposed to protect people, homes and businesses is being hooked to a technology that's not that secure or reliable. And something that the end user can inadvertently disconnect or shut down without remembering that he's shuting down his alarm system too. Or, his router or modem can lock up for no apparent reason.

At this point, if there isn't a phone line, I'd much rather use a CID reporting radio than IP.

What's your experience so far?

Reply to
Jim

From what I understand the panel is pinged every 7 seconds or so, if no reply for "x" number of attempts over "y" period of time, the CS calls the dealer and the customer to see what's up.

Reply to
G. Morgan

And since the customer is likely using the same VoIP for their home phones the central station won't get through....

Reply to
mleuck

Most people have cell phones, and the dealer will know.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It won't be the primary phone tho, people don't get VoIP for an alarm system

Reply to
mleuck

Wait a sec... I thought VIOP was unnecessary.

I thought you run a CAT5 from the panel 2 router and all communication was purely IP, not CID tones riding on VOIP. Am I wrong about that? All they need is DSL or Cable for ISP and a router, correct?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Shit, wrong thread... I thought this was the one I started about the Vista

21-IP.
Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.