Doing research on locked up Alarm panel Phenomena

Hello all I am conducting research on the Electrical Phenomena where alarm panels lock up and apear dead with no visual display. But ac power and dc are working to it. Have observed this several times now with panels were i power these panels down completly and repower and they come back up like nothing ever happened to them. Apears to be a problem in switching power supplies that has not been addressed by code making panels when certifying panels . Will be putting al this info together and sending to UL and manufactuers etc. for further investigation. to prevent this problem seems to happen mainly with thunder storms but not always have had happen on bright sunny days as well. it could be very disaterous where propertys are unattended and this condition is not known about till 24 hr test fails and a tech is sent to check it out. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like Electronics Line Summit panels...

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Not sure if this really applies to your situation, but I had a Firelite panel that would lock up when sending its autotest signal usually between teh two tests. Turns out the panel is not fully CID compatible, and Firelite blames it on the receivers. Switching it to 4 X 2 fixed the problem. The part that irritate me was that Firelite new exactly what the problem was, but gave me the run around. Now I only install Silent Knight fire panels.

Anyway, I suppose your problem might depend on the brand. I had some FBII panels that would lock up, but would reset and work properly when powered down and back up too. Those were the XL-31. The thing is once a panel did that it would do it aga

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have had this happen with FBII, Ademco ,silent knight ,edwards and firelite.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Is the DSC 5700 dual line communicator board for the 832/864 UL Listed for fire in the US?? If so, I'd recommend you have a look. The price difference between a SK 5104 and the DSC equipment makes it worthwhile for us to use here. The beauty of it is that it has no problem with either SIA or CID.

Reply to
Frank Olson

The DSC5700+DSCPC832/864 is not a true dual line communicator.

The SK5104 is a true dual line communicator.

Reply to
A.J.

Hmmm... It appears to be a ULC listed fire alarm communicator... Meets all the requirements of NFPA 72. What makes you think it's not a "true dual line communicator"?

Reply to
Frank Olson

I beleive that ULC is UL Canada. Does not mean it can be used in the US as a UL panel.

Reply to
Mark M.

It is a line switch module, the communicator is still the same one on the

I shall provide a simple example :-

Company A has two telephone lines. TEL1 is a voice line and TEL2 is a FAX line. You install a 832 + 5700 and under normal condition, everything is fine. Whe TEL1 failed, the 5700 switches TEL2 to the 832, and guess what ? The R1 & T1 of the 832 feeds the phones in the company, meaning all fax calls are coming thru on the telephone set instead of going to the fax machine. Many people did not believe me when I told them that, until they set one up and ran some tests themselves.

Reply to
A.J.

Here is a interesting bit of Alarm panel phenomena....

The ITI SXIV systems. If you take a SXIV keypad (the wooden/wireless one) and hold down the panics (fresh batteries help too...) you can walk in/ defeat any SXIVb in town! The keypad that you are holding down the panic buttons on, will block the main systems sensors from working.

Kick ass. Just make sure the keypad you are using is on a different house code that the target system (easy enough).... This is one of several ways to defeat the GE/ITI stuff.

Reply to
Karl Magnus

Wow that will defeat the maybe 3 or 4 SX-IV's still in existance

Wanna try it on something made within the last 15 or so years?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

There are a FEW more.

Well, there is a way to do it with any of the 319.5ITI/GE stuff, however, the more advanced panels in the line can detect this method via a look at the average dB of the signals. So, easily?, no, not really, but possible....sure. We all know the deal, any panel can be worked-around, but we are protecting against the average crackhead/rapist for the most part. The other 2% of the time we are protecting against the cat burgler.

Other interesting things can be accomplished by spoofing the signal, and changing the transmitter ID bits. (This should work for some Ademco wireless as well)

Anyways.....you are right. You are God-like.

Thanks for callin me out.

KM

Reply to
Karl Magnus

lol ;-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.