digital cable telephony

anyone have any experience using the digital cable telephone service with an alarm system? Is the alarm able to report to centrals tation ok? NIck said he can program systems over the digital cable network so I assume an alarm would work on it. Any real life experience out there before I take the plunge?

Reply to
Don
Loading thread data ...

Yes, it works fine. You can still wire it for proper line exclusion; however, I have not found a case yet where you can dial in to the panel. For some reason, panels don't see an incoming ring in the same way they do on a Bell line, and subsequently, won't answer the phone. Haven't tried asking the customer to force the panel to answer an incoming ring; that might still work..

All the usual cauti> anyone have any experience using the digital cable telephone service with an

Reply to
rh.campbell

What? Are you guys talking about telephone service with your cable tv service?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yes, that is exactly what I at least am referring to. The local cable company is making huge inroads into the telephone companies customer base by offering telephone service over the cable network (serves 'em right; their service is crap).. They bring dial tone from another type of modem directly to the existing inside wiring for the telephone system. So all the installer has to do is hook up normally for line exclusion and everything works well for outgoing....not so for incoming however. I think it has to do with how the panel "listens" for ring tones on the line....the cable company may not be doing it the same way)

However, we still have a lot of the same issues to deal with as with VoIP. (I make the client sign a waver form as much to alert him to the downsides of this way of communicat> What?

Reply to
tourman

We don't have that problem here. The cable company's dial tone gets split off the cable and comes into the home as a regular pots line would, so no ups is required. If the cable tv sig goes down telco is normally still up. We have hundreds of clients like this, in fact my folks are on Cox cable, and we've never had a problem. Remote programming is as it would be on normal pots line, no problems there either. My personal system in on the Telco's version of cable (I get my TV signal and my house line and my VDSL from telco) and no problems here either.

soooo...maybe it's different up thar in the frozen nw??

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

thanks for the advise. I may take the plunge. better pricing for same service.

Reply to
Don

si

Reply to
Don

Same here. The Cox techs still screw up the alarm connection when they take over though. :-( js

Reply to
alarman

We have Comcast cable phone and adelphia in my area and I can up/down load no problem and use 4/2 or contact Id there does apear to be diffrences in it from carrier to carrier.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

boy do they ever...you'd think they'd know how to put a dsl filter on by now.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

What are you offering? You're not one of those Jim R. speaks of that wants installers to use their own trucks, pay their own health insurance, have no retirement plan, work for a barely livable wage, and be available 27/7 at your beck-and-call are you? It works both ways - someone already said it, you get what you pay for. What are you offering????

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Because they provide DSL service.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I hope you're kidding.

Reply to
Jim

Really? Cox here provides cable internet service. Why would they offer DSL? js

Reply to
alarman

Because I'm freekin brain-dead...writing Cox meant Qwest. Qwest offers Choice TV which is Cable/Phone/VDSL, I got confusted.

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

LOL. I thought it was sumpin like that. js

Reply to
alarman

It's just another form of VOIP, it may work then again it may not

Reply to
Mark Leuck

some days i don't know if i'm coming or going.

like today had to deal with one of my favorite clients today, they have way too much money...hi def sat AND hi def cable at all tv's in the house.. it seems every time i turn around they want to add or change something...every time they change something we have to go reprogram the mx-850 remote controls (personally, I don't mind cause we charge 65 bucks an hour) but heck...she spent 300 bucks in reprogramming today and in a month we are replacing one tv with a 63 plasma or maybe a 73 dlp and a 40 plasma in the mbr...and we'll have to re-program the dang thing again. It gives me a headache...i just don't have the brain-space for tv stuff anymore...way too freekin complicated.

I told her they should just put me on a retainer, we're there almost every month.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I knw what you mean. I have a couple customers like that. Always remodeling something, can't just let it be. The contractor gives me plenty of notice though: "Hey Jack, we've replaced three windows and need the alarm hooked back up. Any time today would be great. Oh, by the way; last week the plumber cut a wire by accident, looked like one of yours. He twisted it back together though, so we could finish the drywall. Oh, and the keypads are making this weird humming noise." js

Reply to
alarman

Sounds like my moms house....... Always something going on!!!

Reply to
Russell Brill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.