Detech Fire Detectors

Does anyone have any experience with, or knowledge of the mechanical fire detectors offered by Detech?

I recently had an in-home demo by one of their salesmen. The products sound similar to what is offered by Masterguard: wind up, with a fusible link. They recommend putting these in areas of the home where smoke detectors are not recommended, ie kitchen, garage, attic.

It also seems rather expensive. They want $1500 for 3 heat detectors and 3 or 4 ionization/photoelectric detectors.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Matt

Reply to
8characters
Loading thread data ...

Yes indeed. They are useless junk. They cannot protect you. The company is a scam operation. The detectors were the subject of a government enforced recall.

The ionization detectors are not really recommended for residential use. Standard procedure is to use photoelectric smoke detectors in residential installations. Stand-alone ionization detectors are worth about $20 to $30 apiece. Wind-up heat detectors have no value at all.

If you want a fire alarm, either hire a professional alarm company to install one or buy it and install it yourself. Do NOT under any circumstances buy anything from Detech or any of the other company names these people have set up.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

junk. don't waste your money.

Reply to
plug

It's a scam. Even if they functioned properly, why on earth anyone would pay $1500 for something that a set of $20 smoke detectors will do just fine is way beyond comprehension.

Jeezus, you could have a professionally installed full-blown burglar/fire alarm system, complete with keypads, doors, motions, smokes, heats, etc, for that much money. And have it monitored.

The salespeople pushing this crap should burn... in purgatory, hades... where ever it is that scumbag salespeople, ambulance chasing lawyers, and politicians go when they die.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Man,,,I thought wind up heats went out with the horse and buggy.

| > I recently had an in-home demo by one of their salesmen. The products | > sound similar to what is offered by Masterguard: wind up, with a | > fusible link. They recommend putting these in areas of the home where | > smoke detectors are not recommended, ie kitchen, garage, attic. | >

| > It also seems rather expensive. They want $1500 for 3 heat detectors | > and 3 or 4 ionization/photoelectric detectors. | >

| > Any opinions would be appreciated. | >

| > Matt | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It's the same crooked outfit that was [pushing the same garbage years ago. They change their name every so often but the scam hasn't changed at all.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"The company is a scam operation"

Calling the kettle black are you Mr. BAss?

You, more than anyone should not be making derogatory remarks about other companies, when the better business bureau has you listed as the worst company in Florida...What number was that?

18 Complaints to the BBB......

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Thanks for your input everybody. Pretty much what I was expecting.

-Matt

Reply to
8characters

BackSlash69 had written this in response to

formatting link
: I LOVE my Detech System. Yes it's a chunk of change, but have you seen ALL the news about smoke alarm failures. We must have had 15 people die in Wisconsin in the last few months because their crap ionization detectors went off too late.

I looked at Masterguard but the Detech alarms are WAY better, and my system is monitored 24 hours a day. I get an alarm at the point of the fire and in my bedroom at the same time. Not only will it call the fire department if I'm not home, but I did have an error signal from one of the alarms... the Detech rep came to my house and replaced it THE SAME DAY! Get that from first alert.

The Detech alarms are not ionization by the way, they are Photoelectric with rate of rise heat/ultra sensitivity sensors.

Yes, as you can see I did my homework, I know what I'm talking about.

------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.security.alarms - 44403 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
BackSlash69

formatting link
: WARNING! Bass Burglar Alarms has an F rating from the BBB. Detech is "Satisfactory" with NO complaints. Do NOT believe this post, check for yourself at BBB.org

------------------------------------- Robert L Bass wrote:

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.security.alarms - 44403 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
BackSlash69

formatting link
: You are an idiot. They are a professionally installed, complete systems with local dealer support. Have you priced ADT lately. Have you done ANY research about ionization crap they sell in the stores? smokedetectorrecall.com

shut up if you don't know what you are talking about. People's laives are at stake. What would you pay to save your child's life?

------------------------------------- Stanley Barthfarkle wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
BackSlash69

Exactly where ...... can we see .... that you did your ......ummm homework?

Reply to
Jim

It was a Belgium research project...smoke and mirrors.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Backslash69 had written this in response to

formatting link
: OOOOH Jim, you really got me. Don't take any time to give any useful information yourself... just question me. Your kids aren't worth $2000, I get it. Mine are!!! Whatever makes you feel better. What, do you just need an excuse to tell your wife why you didn't want to spend the same money for your family's safety as you spent on the TV?

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
went upstairs and forced my way into those two apartments. The smoke was very, very heavy, almost to the floor. The fire alarms in the building did not sound until I forced open an outside door on the first level, Zuehls said.

Have you priced having an electrician come in and wire in a single circuit system? I did. Then when one goes off they all go off... where is the fire? The best alarm you can buy online costs $80 each and only have a one year warranty and no service options. Have you priced an ADT system? I did. $40 per month just for monitoring. I wanted diagnostics, photoelectric, rate of rise, heat detection, local service, installation, monitoring. And I didn't want wired in. I'm not staying in this house... and I'm taking my Detech system with me when I leave. In fact the dealer will move it for me!

I also talked to three FIREFIGHTERS that have Detech systems. So Jim... shut up. We are talking about peoples lives! Why would you want to talk ANYONE out of protecting their family?

------------------------------------- Jim wrote:

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.security.alarms - 44414 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Backslash69

Detech 'detectors' are to fire detection what Chia Pets are to gardening... what the Pocket Fisherman is to angling... what the Veg-O-Matic is to cooking- all are cheap crap foisted upon an uneducated public.

Anyone who hawks such obsolete, incomplete crap in the name of life safety is much worse than any lowlife discount used car salesman- he/she is complicit in endangering people's lives IMHO.

The $5 battery-operated PE smokes at Home Depot do the same job as this detech stuff... and don't get me started on "wind-up" heat detectors...

What you are selling is $75 worth of obsolete "fire detection" equipment for $2000. Detech is a scam that should be shut down.

Reply to
Steven Vaughan

I am not really familiar with the product but it sounds like this backslash guy is one that was bilked into a purchase and either his ego or guilt won't allow him to admit it was a mistake. Maybe this company has dealership programs which he fell for and he is trying to hawk his wares by claiming personal experiences. Maybe he had to buy in bulk to get into the program and his garage is full of them protecting his Amway inventory. What ever it is he is in the wrong group.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

formatting link
:

You made a few comments about information gleaned from the thread and stated that it was obvious you did your homework. Jim simply questioned your homework.

So you talked to people who are experts in putting out fires who have these toys - How many folks who are expert in fire alarms have you talked to who use them?

If I wanted the type of coverage you talk about without installing a complete system (which is what I did) I would go with the Kidde detectors that talk to each other. They have a wired model that can replace the existing wired ones and you can add bettery operated ones in any area you wish (Current code calls for for one inside and outside each bedroom and at least one on every other floor of the building). These detectors talk to each other, wired or wireless, same circuit or not, and when one goes off they all do.

Those detectors run between $35 to $50 apiece depending on where you get them.

I understand your annoyance - you came here thinking you were telling us about some great up and coming thing only to find out you had been ripped off. Not that these things won't work - they probably will - but for the price you could have done much better.

Me? I'd rather trust my family's safety to a technology that is tried and true, rather than some gimmick.

Trust me - you don't want to know what it feels like to be wrong.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Shhhhhhhhhh! I was hoping no one would tell him.

This toy has been around for years. Every once in awhile, someone comes here and tries to tell us how good they are ......... mainly because they're either a dealer (ie scam artist) or they got sold a bill of goods and they haven't realized it yet. (ie an idiot) The product stays just under the wire. I believe there was a lawsuit a number of years ago .... I forget the details but it didn't bode well for them. They still go around selling this crap from door to door and since there's so little publicity about it, people are still scammed into bying it.

Don't worry, in a little while, he'll go away. After all, if you'll notice, it took him 8 month to reply to the original thread.... so you can tell he's not to swift to begin with. Probably recently bought this crap and was searching around the Net and found the old thread and thought he'd do a little trolling.

Or ... Oh Oh! ..... wait a minute! Did you happen to notice if his name begins with a "P" ? Did he say what country he's in?

Reply to
Jim

Correction... In my cold-medicine-induced state, I said "$5 battery-operated PE smokes" when I should have said "$5 battery-operated Ionization" smokes

Reply to
Steven Vaughan

replying to 8characters, Ed wrote: just sat through a sales pitch by these guys. very convincing that my ionization detectors are crap. but there arguments why their PE ones are better than store bought ones was weak. the sale item for them was their installation and ability to be cleaned, which was not enough reason to overpay by a stupidly large amount. the heat detectors seem like a good added protection for zones without alarms like the kitchen, garage, attic and utility closet, but they are vastly overpriced (up to $500 a unit). they do function, the recall was for a part that has been replaced since. you can get a decent heat alarm for a lot cheaper than detech is offering.

perhaps they are not a scam but they are too much money for too little an increase in security over store the purchases and do-it-yourself installations, so long as you know how to properly install and test your alarms.

to those who argue there is no price on the safety of your family, that's nice for the uber-rich to feel that way but for those who still do a budget for the month, price is a factor to consider. definitely security comes before luxury items, but $5000 for a full home system that is perhaps only marginally superior to a $500 do-it-yourself set up is foolish money management. debt is not worth the marginal at best increase in security.

Reply to
Ed

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.