DC only alarm panel

Hola what small alarm panel can be used with 12vdc battery power only with a solar charger? what sized battery and what charger have you used or seen in this type app? sunny deep south us. will I still get a power out trouble and will this cause any problems? read where some guy called jiminex said the fbi xl2 would not cause trbl if a jumper was installed. where does the jumper go? any other panels that would work?

3 doors and a motion and of course an audible notification appliance. gracias
Reply to
Techvoid
Loading thread data ...

USP makes a cheap little panel that's dc only

Reply to
nick markowitz

Why not use a decent car alarm? Many are are under $40 and come with 2 remotes.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

You can power your panel with another 12 battery. Hook it straight up to the AC input. That way your solar panel only needs to charge the first battery. The system will keep the other charged. Any panel will do, but the smaller ones tend to draw less in the way of power. On some panels you may wind up with a "brown out" condition if the input voltage isn't high enough so if your solar charger is having a problem maintaining at least 13.1 to 13.4 VDC the keypad's could go into AC trouble mode. I think you'll have a better chance with the FBI XL-2 product. It uses a 12VAC transformer rather than the standard 16VAC one.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

The DC input to the panel is polarity sensitive.

So .... if you apply the battery to the transformer terminals and the panel doesn't power up. Reverse the polarity of the input.

Reply to
Jim

USP makes a cheap little panel that's dc only

now that you mention it I think I have one of those out in the garage, somewhere. good call.

Reply to
Techvoid

another good call. hadnt' considered car alarms. do car alarms come with zones? I think I need 2 or 3.

Reply to
Techvoid

The DC input to the panel is polarity sensitive.

So .... if you apply the battery to the transformer terminals and the panel doesn't power up. Reverse the polarity of the input.

good to know, thanks.

Reply to
Techvoid

I can power most any panel by putting 12vdc to the ac inputs? didn't know that!

Reply to
Techvoid

You want to be careful here. I did what you are attempting to do a number of years ago. After research I used a Moose Z920 panel. Was told by tech support to apply 12vdc to ONE of the AC terminals so that the panel would NOT go into AC Fail. It worked great.

However I was also told that for the product line it was the only panel that would allow this to happen because of I think a Zener Diode somewhere.

I have discussed this with newer panel mfg's and get very little response or non at all because it is not policy to think outside the box therefore they can sanction the modification. "Liability". If you are going to try it I would suggest you do it on a non-important panel. I doubt it will damage anything on the board, it will either work or it will not. If not try another model or mfg.. Or if you can find a Z920 it will work.

====================================================== "I can power most any panel by putting 12vdc to the ac inputs? didn't know that!" ====================================================== And you still don't!!!

Good Luck

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

The rectifier bridge will ensure the proper voltage to the panel is supplied. If it doesn't work one way, it will the other. Any panel with a bridge rectifier will power up and function with a DC source to some degree. I think the FBI products employing the 12VAC transformer will perform better. I had a situation many years ago where I needed a well filtered DC source for a camera system. I used two 12 volt Alltronix power supplies. The first was connected to a standard 16VAC transformer (the battery was also connected to this one). The second was powered off of the DC output from the first one. That installation is still going strong after ten years.

Reply to
Frank Kurz

If you're a real techie, you can do anything for a home project. This application looks like it would certainly qualify as one! :-)

Reply to
Frank Kurz

Yeh sure. Big project! Go down to Rat Shack and buy a small inverter.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.