DAS NX4 Alarm - Dial mobile phone (Australian)

Hi all, I have moved into a house with an NX4 alarm system, I want it to dial my mobile phone however I have followed the insturctions in the user manual without success. Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? Is there something I need to change in the Networx box? thanks

Reply to
flynno
Loading thread data ...

What do you expect it to do when it calls you on your cellphone?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Nothing other than call me, so I know the alarm has been activated. thanks

Reply to
flynno

I haven't used one of these for about 5 years but I seem to remember it has to be enabled in the installer section of the programming. You might need to contact the installing company.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

do you have the installer code ?

Reply to
Jon Aichberger

No I don't have the installer code, I may have to ring the company that installed it originally as it was installed by the previous home owners. It works fine as a local alarm but would like to have it dial a mobile phone for extra security. thanks

Reply to
flynno

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe the NX-4 speaks english, so you'd h ave to learn to speak an alarm language to be able to understand what it's saying.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

det...det det...det...detdet..det...detdet...det..dets all folks!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Geez thanks for that side splitting reply! If I get a call on my mobile phone from my home and there is no one home..........I am then alerted to a possible problem am I not?

Reply to
flynno

dah dit dah dah dah dit dah...Car 54 where are you Back in the olden days I could understand 4x2 but could not speak it well enough to be understood...now with the new dialects CID, SIA etc...forget it

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yes, but you would probably be better off buying a voice dialer such as the USP AD2000, the AD2001 or something similar from another manufacturer

formatting link
Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Reply to
Jon Aichberger

You have to understand that we get this question and scenario presented here VERY often. It is the unanimous opinion here, that being called on your cell phone that your house is on fire, or that someone is beating your wife to a pulp while you're in a "dead cellular area" or in a business meeting with your phone turned off, is not at all a secure way to do it. And what would you do if you DID get a call? Rush home? And then find that if the fire department had been called 20 minutes earler, you might have saved your home? Or ......... Call the police or fire department and tell them ....... what? That you got a call on your cell phone from your alarm system but you don't know what's exactly happening?

If you feel that the security of your family, home and posessions is not worth a reliable connection to the authorities, of course ........... that's your decision, but not one that anyone here would agree with.

If you have a security system, you have concerns...... why wouldn't you carry through and pay .75 cents a day to make sure a proper response is available, 24/7?

Reply to
Jim

Because the manufactures are STUPID enough to make such a ridiculous feature available. If they want to make a local panel only..OK. If they want to make one that reports to CS...OK. But don't put the consumer in harms way or give them such a false sense of security by having a panel report to a cell phone or pager. STUPID...STUPID... STUPID!!! That is strictly a marketing feature with no thought given to the possible outcome. I wonder how these marketeers would look at it if they were held responsible for the possible results?

>
Reply to
Bob Worthy

Definitely not good security for all those reasons, but obviously a lot of people want the feature. Gotta give the people what they want or they won't buy it.

I'd recommend being monitored along with real-time signal notification to your cell phone via SMS/Text Messaging. That way you get the signals via the C/S within a few seconds after the C/S gets the signal. The message on your phone tells you exactly what zone(s) tripped and you can send a message directly to the C/S from your phone to tell them to disregard or whatever. If you are out of range, then the C/S will handle the alarms as usual.

Of course, Monitoring costs Money, which is why people want the messages directly in the first place. Better to get a message direct and know Something is going on as opposed to not knowing Anything is going on. Just have the neighbors phone numbers handy to have them check on things for you when you get a call from your panel (maybe pay them a couple bucks to be available 24/7 for you). heh heh

Reply to
Joe Lucia

Reply to
Chub

If he even gets the call to his cell phone......

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Where's the old keyswitch that turned the system on and off? The designers and engineers couldn't figure them out, so they replaced it with a ............Keypad......... Now knowbody knows how to use the systems.

Norm Mugford

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Correct. That's basically what you can expect. There are some small problems to consider. If the panel believes it is dialing a central station receiver it will dial your cell several times until it gives up and then goes into a "trouble" mode. That's no big deal. You'd just have to reset it upon returning home. Also, until the system stops trying it will tie up the phone line making repeated attempts. That can be an issue if there's a problem when you're at home, especially if you only have one phone line.

The advantages of central monitoring have already been mentioned but they bear repeating. The system can report the specific nature of the problem and the location in the home from whence it arises. Reporting is a bit more secure because someone is there 24/7. The down side is central monitoring costs more than doing it yourself. Only you can decide what levels of service, security and financial commitment on your part are appropriate, given the level of risk in your neighborhood, etc. No one else can make that judgment for you. If you feel that central monitoring is unnecessary or that the price is not merited by the risk, then don't have it monitored. No flame here. It's your home, after all.

Another alternative might also be of interest to you. There are digital voice/pager dialers available that can call from one to eight phone numbers, pagers, etc., and play one of several prerecorded (by you) messages, depending on the alarm condition. These are simple to install, relatively inexpensive and a tad more reliable (they keep trying until someone acknowledges hearing the report by pressing a touch-tone button on their phone after listening to the broadcast message. I sell several of these dialers in my online store (URL in sig line below in case you're interested).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Toody, your age is showing. Ooh-ooh... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.