Customers with dry pipe sprinklers need to take prec.

Hi all with temps this past couple weeks going 8 below zero in my area for first time in nearly a decade 2 of my customers had major problems with there dry pipe sprinkler systems because a drain moisture accumulator which is on the end of the dry pipe systems was not being properly checked and drained and moisture accumulated in the drain and froze breaking the pipe and sending water thruout the system and flooding my clients property. becuse the accumulators were in an unheated part of building. normally we never have to worry about dry pipe systems just where the water sits at the main valve but the extreme temps have proved otherwise. do your customers a favor and let them know they need to make sure this accumulator valve needs serviced when system is inspected.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.
Loading thread data ...

What happened to the low air supervision? That should have given the client at least 30 minutes to 1 hour notice before the system purged, depending on the size of the system. You can also install a pressure activated switch after the accumulator to give you advanced warning of a pending problem. Let's not forget the room temp sensor and the automatic heating unit in the sprinkler room.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Unfortunately the acumulators were located in cold rooms with no heat and improper maintenance. once again becuse this is Pa. contractors and building owners do what they feel like and ahjs let them get away with it. I had temp sensors at water side of valves one actually saved one of my customers on a wet system last week when the heat went out. I did not realise the accumulators on these 2 systems were where they were I had low preasure supervisory switches in use but they failed to catch the problem becuse the pipes froze and broke immediately without dropping air preasure beforehand to warn ahead of time but in both cases the main air switches did activate and called fire dept . But in the one case key holder was 1 hr away and fire dept refused to make entry and shut off water despite having permission from owner to do so.

Like i said this is backwards Pa. despite the fact we now have a UCC code which enforces ICC fire codes compliance is very lacking in many areas AHJ's have little or no training despite fact they are supose to and existing structures will continue to cause headaches.for years to come becuse they were built with the i do not care attitude.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Reply to
secure15

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Same ghost on the Long Island Railroad- been operating for the last 50 | years then all of the sudden 6 people are falling thru the space between | the platform and the cars! How come only now THIS year? |

Yikes, where'd that happen?

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Reply to
secure15

Sounds bad...and weird that people would fall through the cracks like that. Maybe people are shrinking from global warming.

| > Yikes, where'd that happen? | >

| >

| >

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Probably due to global warming.

Check with Al Gore.

Reply to
Jim

I tried to call him, but the phone in his limo was busy. js

Reply to
alarman

Yeah ..... the stretch Hyundai .......right? Seats 6 people ..... single file. Pedals optional.

Reply to
Jim

I'm workin on replacing all my normal lightbubs wid the cool ones they're touting...you know the ones with mercury in 'em. I wonder if they recycle the mercury from used tuna???

| > Check with Al Gore. | | I tried to call him, but the phone in his limo was busy. | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"Used tuna"?????

Reply to
Frank Olson

I am glad we don't have to mess with that stuff here. All we ever see of that is in giant meat freezers, along with that goofy wire instead of regular detectors.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

But what about all the tuna that have to die to create the mercury in those bulbs?

| >

| > "Used tuna"????? | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

HA!

Neat!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Jim

Sure.... you can make a fortuna from used tuna!

Reply to
Jim

He sent a reply on another web page defending his increased use

formatting link
I guess it's okay to waste as much energy as you want as long as you pay for some "carbon credits".

formatting link
The even funnier thing is that Bush's Crawford TX house is a small state of the art 4,000 sq foot energy conserving building that uses 25% of the power a house that size normally uses

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.