Cooler Windy Days

I have three job sites I am working on right now. Unfortunately I hate working outside on windy days, and all three sites require me to work outside. Cameras, photo beams, antennas. Wind is blowing at about 20 mph from the north (cold wind) with gusts to 30. I'm a desert rat. Its easier for me to put on my stoic attitude and my cowboy hat and go work outside when ts sweltering hot. How do you guys deal with colder windy days when you have to work outdoors?

** Posted from
formatting link
Reply to
Bob L
Loading thread data ...

"Bob L" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : 5ccbe$493eb371$ snipped-for-privacy@news.teranews.com...

WHats colder day's for you?

cause here its at minus 20 celsius that we start looking for reason not to work outside..

Reply to
Petem

=EF=BF=BDIts easier

I'm guessing that it gets colder here in the US northeast than where you are. And I'm guessing that maybe you wont have some of the gear.

I dress in layers. How many depends on how cold it is. If I'm going to be out for long periods, I'll also put on a pair of insulated underwear pants only under my Levis. But I've found the secret to be, to dress in layers. It's a lot better to dress in multiple light layers that can be removed as you begin to warm up. When you wear just a couple of warm layers, when you start to warm up from working, you sweat and then when you slow down again, you begin to get colder quicker because of the captured body moisture.

Sometimes I'll have to pre-wire a house in the winter, sometimes below

20 degrees. (You wouldn't need to do this part with the heater but this is just an example) I'll bring my propane gas, 250,000 BTU heater and set it up inside the house. I don't turn it all the way up because all the heat is going to escape through the attic vents anyway. I'm cold when I start drilling but as I'm walking fast around the house, I begin to warm up and begin removing layers until I'm at a comfortable temp and pace, without sweating. I keep all my tools wire and parts near the gas heater so they'll be limber for use. When I take a break, I'll turn up the heater and stay close by so I don't break out in a sweat in cold air and reduce my body temp. I have a pair of regular gloves with my but when working, if my hands are cold, I use the gloves with the three cut off fingers. If I'm pulling wire and don't need my fingers, I use the regular gloves. I wear insulated waterproof workboots all year long, but In the winter I use socks with the moisture absorbing lining, because again, it's the build up of moisture and evaporation that makes you cold. Obviously, you'll get cold from lack of movement too. As far a head covering, I wear hooded shirts and sweatshirts and/or (what I call) a navy watch cap. I've found that Moose Creek makes really warm but not expensive sweatshirts with lots of pockets.

If your in a windy area, but not too cold, I'd think about windbreaker (tight weave) but not heavy clothing. Again, multiple layers (in your case, light) and avoid that evaporation, which is what makes you cold.

In all of this, I've got to say it took a number of years to get to the point that I would remember to remove the layers soon enough, so that I wouldn't begin to sweat. And don't forget, as you start to wind down, to begin putting your layers back on again.

Reply to
Jim

Long sleeve turtleneck t-shirt under my work shirt. Jeans, thick sox, boots, hot coffee, determined expression.

Reply to
alarman

I'd have to disagree with the coffe part. Coffee although hot and a stimulent, only gives you the impression that it's warming you up. It may warm your hands but being it's a diuretic, it's actually causing you to eliminate water from your system. I'd recommend water while working and perhaps a small cup of coffee at lunch break just to satisfy the craving. It's too inconvenient for on the job, but actually tea would be the better drink. But, all the other "guys" would laugh at you anyway and the little china cups and saucers would keep getting broken.

And you're right. I DO have to say that I completely forgot about the "determined look". I doubt I'd get half the work done in a days time without one. Other things that help are: adding a frown, taking a longer stride, stairs two at a time, yanking on the wire, throwing your tools, kicking the ladder, slamming doors, and glaring at anyone who says anything about it. And if you have a helper, yelling at him helps too.

Reply to
Jim

So the coffee is just an illusion? Rats. Next you'll be telling me there isn't a Santa Claus.

Dang.

Reply to
alarman

Dressing in layers is the answer for cold days. Of course, with the wind, exposed skin is a concern as well. I had a construction company in northern Michigan back in the 70's. Up there we had nine months of winter and three months of bad sledding. In the mid winter, waking up to sub zero temperatures was normal. Unless we had inside work, we wouldn't go to work until it hit zero. If it didn't hit zero we went ice fishing instead. Go figure. When the cold got the best of me I moved to Texas. When that got to cold in the winter, I moved to southern Florida. Windy, cold (50's) damp winter days down here are cold to me. Old age I guess.

Bob W.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I know what you mean. It got down to 50 yesterday, and I had to put on long pants. Brrrrr. Good thing I had my coffee.

Reply to
alarman

It actually snowed here yesterday (1st time in 4 years). Today we're back up to 55.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It snowed here on thusday and it started to snow a bit earlier today and it wont stop till tomorow after noon... about a foot of snow should be left after this... a foot more of the 8 inch we got thuesday...

cool!!! we will have a white christmass!!

Reply to
Petem

I don't know how you can stand the cold weather, when it gets below 50°F I have to stay inside!

A white Christmas will be nice though, enjoy. :-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Me I cant understand how anyone on earth can work on temp higher then 72...

When its cold you just have to put on some more clothings.. but when its too cold, after you removed the t-shirt and the pants and you only have the boxer on... what can you do beside going to the swimming pool to cool down?

I know that 2 cold beer would help a bit, but my boss dont like it when I go to a customer drunk and wearing only boxer ;-)

Reply to
Petem

"Petem" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : ghsjro$cbs$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

oups..

Reply to
Petem

Every business & residence here in Houston is air conditioned. I spend no more than 10-15 mins. in a hot attic (which can easily exceed 140+). Take frequent breaks. Drink plenty of water. And if the premises is not air conditioned, use the A/C in the truck for a refuge.

My work now keeps me in climate controlled areas 99% of the time.

None of mine did either. :-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.