connecting to work from home?

If you're using XP go to Help and type in: VPN and read up on virtual private networking.

In the olden days I used to use PC Anywhere and connect to my computer at the office and work that way...a little slow over pots line though.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Does anyone here connect to their office from home? I am looking for a way to connect to my office network and telephone system so I can work from home. Anyone ?

James

Reply to
James

A whole lot more secure though (at least back when I was using PC Anywhere)...

Reply to
Frank Olson

VPN uses pretty high encryption from what my friend has told me...I've not used it yet. He uses it all the time from home to his network at work.

| > In the olden days I used to use PC Anywhere and connect to my computer at | > the office and work that way...a little slow over pots line though. | | | A whole lot more secure though (at least back when I was using PC | Anywhere)... | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Try GoToMyPC.com.

Recommended by Kim Komando....

formatting link

James wrote:

Reply to
JoeRaisin

We use Citrix, which requires software on the office server _and_ the home client. Works very well.

Reply to
Armond Perretta

"Recommended by Kim Komando...."

At almost $200.00 a year for One PC.

Only because it's easy.. A complete waste of money as there are free options built into XP Pro

I use remote Desktop often including typing this message. But I do it from work to my Home PC. I also use VNC sometimes.

Reply to
Brian

I work from home twice a week and got extremely frustrated with GoToMyPC. I'd rather use Remote Desktop but it's not allowed through my company firewall. I now use PMG Connect which rocks!

formatting link

Reply to
DaveB

Reply to
Keith

I disable all remote desktop and remote registry services, as well as many more XP services. I turn off Remote Assistance, Auto Updates, and then Some. I also use TCP Filtering.

I use VNC to connect to the PC, I will never ever use Remote Desktop, thats just asking for trouble.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

I VPN from XP to an old Pentium 90 running Windows NT 4 Routing and Remote Access with 2 networks cards (one on the public network, one on the internal network). It's been working for Years, just like I'm at the office. I can access all files and internal computers or VNC into any of my servers. I am also using an Inter-tel VOIP Keyset at home (although not via the VPN connection since I'm not too worried about someone snooping on my voip conversation, if it were even possible, which I'm sure it is, just not worth the trouble for someone to do since I'm not interesting enough for the Feds) which connects to my Axxess phone switch at the office so with the VPN and the VOIP it's like I'm THERE.

Reply to
Joe Lucia

Yeah I stumbled across PMG Connect and you're, right about it rocking.

Reply to
DaveB

For me the simplest telephone solution is VoIP. My regular office is in my home in Sarasota, Florida. When I go to Brazil (I am in Brazil as this is being posted) I bring my Vonage box with me. I leave a phone, fax and laptop in my condo here in Brazil. All I need to be online and working, handling US and Canadian calls as "local", is a phone line with DSL. My connection here is ~750mB up and download.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.