Concord 4 issue or user issue?

Had a customer call with a issue I've never come across before. Here's what happened: Installed a Concord 4 at her house about 3 months ago. I taught her to arm to stay with no delay at night, and then she changes it to away when she leaves. Her daughter and son-in-law are visiting, she left early in the morning and switched from stay to away. After she left the daughter came out of her bedroom and tripped the living room motion.

Here's where it gets weird: Son-in-law calls me and tells me what happened, he says he's concerned because "the alarm went off for about

10 to 15 seconds and shut off by itself" ( Not just the siren stopping but a full clear)

I checked the event logs and heres what I found:

Zone 11 alarm then 5 seconds later an E406 cancel/abort by user # U846 ( master code)

I'm thinking frazzled daughter gets crap scared out of her, panics, punches in code, then somehow forgets that she did it. Her and her husband were the only ones there and he didn't even know the code anyway, so I'm sure he didn't cancel the alarm. Also, there are no keyfobs or wireless keypads/remotes, 2 hardwired ATP1000 keypads.

I tested the system, arming it the same way they did that morning, no issues. I'm going to run it by GE tech support tomorrow morning. I'm

99.999% sure it's just user error, but that .001% bugs me.

So what do you think, is it user error? because I can't imagine what else it would be. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Effenpig1
Loading thread data ...

RHC: I'm just guessing here, and I don't know the Concord panel at all; however, the event log doesn't lie. If it says someone turned the panel off, then someone turned the panel off. People in mild panic mode often don't know what they've done, or forget, or blank things out of their mind. It's probably worth checking with tech support (if only to set your mind at ease), but I've seen far crazier things happen when the alarm goes off.

The biggest difficulty is going to be explaining to the customer they did something they swear they didn't do. Sometimes it takes a lot of tact....:)) Showing them a printout of the event log may help, or a printout from the station......

Reply to
tourman

Someone at that time knew the master code, I've had customers tell me stories like that before

Reply to
mleuck

Yes, the daughter had the master code, but the son-in-law didn't.

I was very tactful, I explained the event log and such, but never went so far as to say they were wrong. I also made sure the system was tested, though it was mostly just for their peace of mind ( although I wanted to see for myself also). Nothing worse than convincing a customer they are wrong only to have the incident repeat itself.

Reply to
Effenpig1

RHC: Yeah, in these kinds of situations, I usually go over all the possible situations that could have occured and let the customer make up his own mind. However, I also explain that electronic devices can do strange things at times, and we will both continue to watch it to see if it reoccurs. It's highly likely it was the customer, but you just never know with absolute certainty. Whatever you do, don't give them the kind of BS answer some companies give...you know " a spider set the motion detector off" kind of crap. Customers can see this for what it is usually and will respect you for being straight with them.

I try to investigate all false alarms to see what caused them. Some you just never can know for sure. All you can do is cover off all potential problem areas, perhaps put the zone on extended test at the station, and hope the problem has been cleared....

Reply to
tourman

Get ready for a shock.

Ready?

People lie.

To your face. Even though the evidence, plain to all, is there. They lie even whe the truth will suit them better. With some people, is't a sport.

Now repeat after me: People lie.

Reply to
alarman

best way (if you're really concerned) is to pay them a courtesy call...personally. and try to reproduce the event exactly. physically being there and trying to get it to happen again is the best way...bring donuts and coffee and have fun with it...in 2 days they'll forget all about the f/u and remember that you came out for free with coffee in hand.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I think we've gotten slightly off track here, this was a user error type of false alarm. The system was armed to away and the motion was active. Customer walked into the area covered by the motion and triggered an alarm. Issue was the system "supposedly" disarming all by itself.

As far as the spider thing, if a spider did set the motion off it would be my fault anyway, but I doubt this would happen as I am always very careful to seal the opening around the wire.. Again though, there is no question that the motion detector performed as it should have.

Reply to
Effenpig1

I'm not sure what your point is, yes, people do lie. You lie, I lie, we all lie. In fact I have an older sister who falls into the category of "lies for the sport of it". Very annoying. However, I'm willing to take someones word to an extent, until proven otherwise. I believe that the customers daughter really doesn't think she disarmed it. Maybe, she did remember later on that she did disarm it and was too embarassed tell me. I'm certainly not going to call her an outright liar over it.

Reply to
Effenpig1

Already did try to reproduce the the event. Armed the system to stay first, then changed to away and opened the entry/exit door. Waited for delay to expire and walked into the path of the motion. The motion triggered the alarm and the system did not "mysteriously" disarm itself after 10 seconds. CHecked the vent report and it read like an exact copy of the original event.

As far as them forgetting about the f/u, I'd rather they did not forget about it. If they remember it they are hopefully less likely to do it again.

Reply to
Effenpig1

The key word is "her". Females have also sworn up and down that the vehicle which they were driving and "pressing on the brake the whole time", which just smashed through the store front, did so by itself! (Actually they were pressing on the accelerator.)

Reply to
Bill

No one told you to call anyone a liar. The point is, people lie. Just file it away.

Reply to
alarman

You're lying.

Reply to
Jim

You're lying.

buyers are lyers.

Reply to
Kid

Well, like I said, I didn't want to just write it off without at least checking into it. I have tried to re-create the issue, and it worked fine, I reviewed the event logs, and have checked with GEI to confirm that there are no known issues of this type.I feel I have done my due diligence, whether it was a lie or just simply an error, and now I will "write it off".

Reply to
Effenpig1

Look it's real simple, poke around in programming then test the system then tell the customer to let you know if it happens again

Worked for me

Reply to
mleuck

I didn't "poke around' in programming, but I did double check everything when I downloaded the log. I did test the system, even went so far as to "recreate" the situation. I'm sure they will call me if it happens again.

My main concern was if there was the possibility of a system "glitch", and this was my biggest reason for posting. I figured I'd check here to see if anyone had encountered this problem and it turned out to be something other than user error.

Reply to
Effenpig1

Dang, ya nabbed me.

Reply to
alarman

Lyers?

Reply to
alarman

As in , "there, it's fixed now"?

Um, no. I am not about to fall on my sword so that some lying scumbag can save face. If I screw up, I'll admit that. (It's bound to happen eventually) But I'm not taking the rap to save some idiot's ego.

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.