Compass Software

No, she's of Czechish descent Czech-Irish...but it doesn't matter they're all from the same damn place.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

on the first time.

after that I use Account Number selection - I don't use the CSID since no one could contact it without an account number and no one knows that but me. Then I lock keypad programming. That should be good enough right?

| > > Oh hell mikey thats the problem, you use the Canadian version of the

15P | > :) | > >

| > > As far as the speed of the download it's only slow the first time you | > upload | > > it, after that its fairly fast | > >

| >

| > ahah, so I shouldn't be using the first time connect , cross fingers | > checkbox every time I try to connect? Sometimes it just seems the only one | > that works. | | The first time connect is used if you don't have a CSID programmed into the | panel, if you did then you'd use the other selection | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'm actually old enough to remember the "Diefen-Dollar"... but too young to have spent one... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Its on the dialer screen

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The first time connect is used if you don't have a CSID programmed into the panel, if you did then you'd use the other selection

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The only experience I have with any periods are my wife's... and she's from Scotland.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Your wife must be from Scotland too... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

where do you do that? I thought the software just updated it when you connected, the plot thickens

in

Reply to
mikey

D'Oh, I just realized I don't use the CSID either, what the hell is it anyways? all I see is a bunch of Fs

Reply to
mikey

I don't see any reason to go any farther than that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yah, I use the Remote Key on DMP. You know DMP too? I thought Jack and I were about the only ones here.

I guess I thought the CSID wasn't necessary...no my clients don't know their account number, no need for it these days. Service techs no...CS operators yes.

Can I add the CSID on the fly, while online with the panel?...maybe that's why I never did add them...I wasn't comfortable with the process???

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Why would you not want to use the CSID? You use the Remote Key value on your DMP accounts, don't you?

Who knows the account number besides you? Your customer. Any central station operator. Your service techs. It doesn't cost you anything to use the CSID, and it vastly increases the security.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Yes you can

Reply to
Mark Leuck

otay...I may just do that...thanks!

| > I guess I thought the CSID wasn't necessary...no my clients don't know | their | > account number, no need for it these days. Service techs no...CS operators | > yes. | >

| > Can I add the CSID on the fly, while online with the panel?...maybe that's | > why I never did add them...I wasn't comfortable with the process??? | | Yes you can | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Subject: Re: Compass Software Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => Crash Gordon I guess I thought the CSID wasn't necessary...no my clients don't know their

How do your service techs 'service' without knowing the account #?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Sorry they doo, I was thinking of the Remote Key on DMP. Yah they do know Ademco account numbers....you're right...I should use CSID. Damn. Yah I found out the hard way a few years back with rogue installer...what a nightmare.

I'm pretty safe though right now since I'm the only one that's been doing the quickie Ademco stuff.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

inline...

| >I guess I thought the CSID wasn't necessary...no my clients don't know their | >account number, no need for it these days. Service techs no...CS operators | >yes. | >

| >Can I add the CSID on the fly, while online with the panel?...maybe that's | >why I never did add them...I wasn't comfortable with the process??? | | | I have a love/hate relationship with DMP. Some things, they do | exceptionally well, like the 714/715 loop expanders in nice metal boxes. | But on the other hand, it annoys me that after all these years, DMP still | doesn't have a watch/chime feature. Among other things.

Sure they do...Zone Monitor on newer panels, Loop Monitor on the older...and it's always been by Perimeter, All or by Zone(s) selectable.

| | Remember that the CSID is just another program entry. You can change it | just like any other program item. For new accounts, go to File>Station | Data, and enter your selected CSID, which will become a default program | entry for all future panels. I think checking the "Write CSID on Download | All" box will probably save you from having to edit each existing | individual panel program, but I've never tried that. If necessary, for an | existing account, copy the panel, save, edit the CSID by clicking the "View | CSID" button on the dialer page, save, and download.

| | The CSID is your main security against other people who have copies of | Compass. If you think about it for a moment, you'll see that the account | number is easy enough to get. Just think of the damage someone could do | to your accounts with their own copy of Compass. Use the CSID, and if you | allow operators to download, you can set up their access privileges so they | can't even see the CSID.

Yah thanks for wakin me up. Yes, I know about being damaged...that's why only my son and I know the codes and are the only ones that do any remote programming. I guess I'll spend the next few nights setting CSID codes.

Thanks man.

| | - badenov | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

They use "the Force", young whipper-snapper... Mind you, you may call

*your* favourite screwdriver by another name... :-))
Reply to
Frank Olson

I don't use area systems, it makes it too complicated for the user...but next time I program a panel I check it out. I tend to use partitions instead of areas...much simplier to use that way.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I have a love/hate relationship with DMP. Some things, they do exceptionally well, like the 714/715 loop expanders in nice metal boxes. But on the other hand, it annoys me that after all these years, DMP still doesn't have a watch/chime feature. Among other things.

Remember that the CSID is just another program entry. You can change it just like any other program item. For new accounts, go to File>Station Data, and enter your selected CSID, which will become a default program entry for all future panels. I think checking the "Write CSID on Download All" box will probably save you from having to edit each existing individual panel program, but I've never tried that. If necessary, for an existing account, copy the panel, save, edit the CSID by clicking the "View CSID" button on the dialer page, save, and download.

The CSID is your main security against other people who have copies of Compass. If you think about it for a moment, you'll see that the account number is easy enough to get. Just think of the damage someone could do to your accounts with their own copy of Compass. Use the CSID, and if you allow operators to download, you can set up their access privileges so they can't even see the CSID.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.