Compass Software

And to get the password you used to have to go through an approval process that also included a fairly restrictive end-user agreement... Not that it would have made any difference to Bass...

Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

And the fact that you cant just change a code and upload...you gotta send everything.

Their use of upload/download is also confusing...to me you upload to a server, download to my computer,,,,opposite of what they have...minor issue but I have to think everything if I'm doing it right (or look at the bottom of the screen to confirm).

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Didn't he already have some experience with that?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Im beta testing the 32 bit software its confusing at first but its packed with many more features. I like what i see in it.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Just wanted to see if I'd read down this far, eh? js

Reply to
alarman

Yep.

Its a good thing the bottom of the screen is more descriptive or I'd wipe out more panels than I already do! :-)

Yes, I noticed the bigger panels you can be more selective in what you update. But, pain in the but to download the whole panel (there I go..upload) to have fresh copy (3 min) change one code, then have to reload the whole panel again another 3 min.

Yah..I got in the habit of download upload a fresh panel copy everytime too. Some of dem pesky clients actually RTFB and figured out how to change codes, so's I gotta be careful i dont wipe changes out.

| > Their use of upload/download is also confusing...to me you upload to a | > server, download to my computer,,,,opposite of what they have...minor | issue | > but I have to think everything if I'm doing it right (or look at the | bottom | > of the screen to confirm). | | I think the global upload/download is a function of the panel not with | Compass since you can do sections with larger panels, If your like me the | download/upload issue came from BBS days where it meant the opposite of what | we do with alarm panels in fact the first panel I ever connected to I did | "download" without "uploading" first... | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I think the global upload/download is a function of the panel not with Compass since you can do sections with larger panels, If your like me the download/upload issue came from BBS days where it meant the opposite of what we do with alarm panels in fact the first panel I ever connected to I did "download" without "uploading" first...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Only way I can keep you on your toes

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I don't think it's that bad, Radionics RAM IV user codes can take up to 5 minutes

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Unless it's a 15P you really can't set the test timer exactly although thats a function of the panel not the downloader

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'm not commenting on things like that, I said overall it's the best in my opinion. I too have seen DSC panels hold on far longer in bad phone lines than Ademco however that bloated database of DSC has to go, its about the only major gripe I have with the software.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Compass? Really? I use DSC and Compass. I have far more connection problems with Compass. I find it a tedious POS to work with too compared to DSC.

Reply to
mikey

I wouldn't know...I lost my dongle so I'm still using Ram 1 I think...thats why I still have a 286 with DOS 6.0 running. Think Im gonna dump it soon, as I hardly ram radx stuff anymore...my old radx stuff is getting old and time for replacement anyway.

| > Its a good thing the bottom of the screen is more descriptive or I'd wipe | > out more panels than I already do! :-) | >

| > Yes, I noticed the bigger panels you can be more selective in what you | > update. But, pain in the but to download the whole panel (there I | > go..upload) to have fresh copy (3 min) change one code, then have to | reload | > the whole panel again another 3 min. | | I don't think it's that bad, Radionics RAM IV user codes can take up to 5 | minutes | | | > Yah..I got in the habit of download upload a fresh panel copy everytime | too. | > Some of dem pesky clients actually RTFB and figured out how to change | codes, | > so's I gotta be careful i dont wipe changes out. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yep, my biggest beef too. That and never getting the test time right no matter what I do.

Reply to
mikey

I kinda tried that the other day, but musta done something wrong cause I wiped out the guy's code. If you connect and you dont get a mismatch error...then I can change the user code...save?...then send to panel right? I "think" I may have messed up by Viewing Upload somewhere maybe?...maybe thats how I unloaded the code.

| >Yah..I got in the habit of download upload a fresh panel copy everytime too. | >Some of dem pesky clients actually RTFB and figured out how to change codes, | >so's I gotta be careful i dont wipe changes out. | | It isn't always necessary to copy the panel. Remember that Compass will | tell you right away if the panel programming has changed. This is your | protection against not only subscriber code changes, but also techs | changing something at the keypad and not telling you. | | The trick is to contact the panel before you make any changes in Compass. | If you get the warning message, you upload. Otherwise, you remain on line | with the panel, modify the program, save, and download. | | Ademco seems to break the programming into blocks on the larger panels, | each of which has a CRC. So, you aren't really uploading the entire panel, | just checking the CRCs for each block and copying the blocks that have | changed. I assume on the smaller panels, it's quicker just to copy the | whole program rather than breaking it into blocks. | | - badenov |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

ya well, it shows up on the schedules and I can change the time and dnload (the whole damn thing) but no joy. man, I don't know how you can do that day in, day out. I get 2 hours of it and I'm pulling what's left of my hair out.

Reply to
mikey

It isn't always necessary to copy the panel. Remember that Compass will tell you right away if the panel programming has changed. This is your protection against not only subscriber code changes, but also techs changing something at the keypad and not telling you.

The trick is to contact the panel before you make any changes in Compass. If you get the warning message, you upload. Otherwise, you remain on line with the panel, modify the program, save, and download.

Ademco seems to break the programming into blocks on the larger panels, each of which has a CRC. So, you aren't really uploading the entire panel, just checking the CRCs for each block and copying the blocks that have changed. I assume on the smaller panels, it's quicker just to copy the whole program rather than breaking it into blocks.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

I find it relaxing...a welcome break from talking to nutjobs all day.

| >

| > > > Their use of upload/download is also confusing...to me you upload to a | > > > server, download to my computer,,,,opposite of what they have...minor | > > issue | > > > but I have to think everything if I'm doing it right (or look at the | > > bottom | > > > of the screen to confirm). | > > >

| > > >

| > > >

| > > >

| > >

| > >

| >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

any replies from the appropriate authorities concerning the BAss traitorous espionage incident?

Reply to
moe

Honeywell and ADI have been notified of Mr. BAss's stupidity.

I received a response back from them, that they will forward my message to the local District Manager. Who is aware of Mr. BAss.

Norm Mugford

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.