Compass Software

No, I have never purchased anything from Mr. Bass nor have I inquired about any of his services. It is my understanding that he is not in the monitoring business, anyhow.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm
Loading thread data ...

RLB doesn't appear to be able to grasp the concept that he is giving away something that isn't his to give, or even worse he doesn't care.

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

technically speaking : he's a nut job.

Reply to
moe

let me guess, one being BAss

I'm a DIY not an alarm professional and from where I sit, it

then why do they have a un/pw?

The UN/PW has been posted many

again, posted by the IB BAss

I can't see their not being aware.

especially if someone reports this transgression

Reply to
moe

I don't know about you, but why don't you go back and read the OP's post. At first glance, it appeared to me that he was a dealer and had lost his copy. Why would anyone assume that an end user was in possesion of the compass software? That is ..... anyone who hadn't been doing business with slimeball Bass.

Reply to
Jim

Well, here ya are Crash.

You've finally come to that point that everyone ultimately comes to. I'm sure, since you've been "here" for awhile, blithely staying out of the frey, you've had to make some observations and formed some opinions. I've seen it happen again and again. Eventually, Fat Ass pushes the button that puts it over the line. Your question above has been asked hundreds, if not thousands of times in the approximately 8 years I've participated in this group. And the answer is ...... primarily because, in as plain a language as some one of his level deserves, he's a rotten, nasty, arrogant son of a bitch. He knows EXACTLY what he is doing. He has no business being in this group if he is going to continuously detract from the installation trade, of which the majority of this Newsgroup is made up of and was formed for. The majority of people who participate in this group don't like him, don't like what he does and individually take exception to his attitude and his constant jibes and detraction from this Newsgroup. As long as all of his detractors do nothing as a group effort to stop him, he will continue. You can continue to silently contend with it, but it's now quite plainly apparent, what you think of this bastard. At least we know that you don't approve of what he's done to this Newsgroup.

Reply to
Jim

In my view the problem began with professionals trying to bait a DIY by telling the OP that he was welcome to go to that web site and they even said it was free, all the while knowing that the site was password protected and knowing it isn't free. I would think a professional response would have been to tell the OP that it is professional software and limited to use by professionals. But no, the pro's like to toy with DIY. For what purpose? Are DIY really that much of a threat to the industry that professionals must be put aside sound business practices to play games with people? What goes around comes around. These things only provoke someone else to post the password even if it may be wrong to do so.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Mr. Bass your stupidity forever surprises me......

Posting un/pw on Honeywell Software.....

Where are your brains......

Since you have jeopardized the security of every compass user in the world, I will forward your post to the appropriate people at ADI and Honeywell and request that they make arrangements to change the un/pw, because of your stupidity.

A request to have your account closed is also in order.

Norm Mugford

Reply to
Norm Mugford

I would be inclined to assume that a pro would know what his warranty and replacement policy was on his software. Unless you are very new to computing, the internet, and newsgroups, you know that many DIY post on pro NG's because they get some very good advice. I'm a DIY who has watched the NG for some time and will now get my monitoring service from one of the pros who has posted here. I'm comfortable that he knows what he is doing. If I wanted to buy an amateur monitoring service, I'd have posted there.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Amateur monitoring may cost more or less than pro monitoring. It has been said that one gets what they pay for, but too many times the customer doesn't get what he pays for. No, I'm not going with some cheap outfit. Yes, someone will remote program it for $50, but price is not the determining factor. I merely asked if that was a reasonable price. If someone came back and said, no, it normally costs $200, then I would suspect the $50 people probably don't know what they are doing. If it's in the ballpark, then that's good. If someone quoted me $2, I'd pass it by. The monitoring company I'll be using appears to be operated by someone who is well respected and posts regularly in this NG. If the other pros respect him, then that's a good sign. I agree, no one ever really knows what they are getting for any product until they actually get it and have to use it. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. Yes, one should never assume. However, I am an engineer who has done extensive programming and I know the policy on all of my purchased software. I can't believe a pro wouldn't have a backup copy off site, but I suppose anyone can be sloppy.

Robert

Reply to
Robertm

I agree I may have made a wrong assumption, but that does not mean that every wrong comment must be associated with Mr. Bass. I have not transacted any business with Mr. Bass. I have no association with Mr. Bass. Any discussion I've had with Mr. Bass has been posted on the NG and open for anyone to read. Your reasoning is that you disagree with Mr. Bass, therefore if you disagree with anyone, they must be a Mr. Bass customer or friend or whatever. Paranoia? Mr. Bass lurking behind every rock and tree?

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

how would we know he was a DIY? if he was posting in a PRO group one would assume he was a PRO.

Reply to
moe

you know what happens when you assume.:)

Unless you are very new to

and some get no help or get lambasted, but very few get access to pro only info

I'm a DIY who has watched the

is that the one for $50 to prog?

If I

where can you get amateur monitoring? and how much does that cost?

Reply to
moe

Sir, I can only speak for monitoring stations that I know of in Canada, but there is no such thing as "amateur monitoring". Monitoring stations are the most heavily regulated part of the alarm business, and almost without exception, adhere to ULC and CSA standards. Other than the stations that cater directly to end users for about $10, monitoring stations charge dealers somewhat less ($2 to $6), and the end price of monitoring is resold by dealers according to what the market will bear, or what they choose to market it at to be competitive in their area. From my direct experience, the $10 a month monitoring stations are every bit as professional as the larger monitoring stations, and in some cases much more responsive to the end user than some of the very large stations. What you don't get with the "direct to end user monitoring" however, is any support whatsoever for your alarm system. If you have trouble, or a question, or need service, you are either completely on your own, or subject to a local subcontractor for service. It's a bit of a crapshoot, but with a local dealer on your side, you will usually be pleasantly surprised on the level of service you can obtain when you need it, for only a few dollars a month more !!

The administrative price you are charged is what your particular company feels they need to set your system up; it has no bearing on the quality of the monitoring or even the quality of the company doing the setup on your behalf. Some companies choose to bill for that time; others don't because they know they are beginning what is usually a long and profitable relationship with you. You can't assume anything from the setup fees !!

However, it does pay to choose a company that you feel comfortable with, because you will likely be with them for some years to come

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

The un/pw USED to be tied to our dealer accounts..in the olden days.

| > A request to have your account closed is also in order. | | | Heh... Bass is an *unlicensed* retailer that also happens to be one of | ADI's biggest customers (according to him). I sincerely doubt they're going | to close his account at this stage... Besides... He can always get product | "through the back door". | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It's worth it. There's lingo in there that is even a mystery to some pros.

100 | >>bucks to program it for me and that kind of money I don not have right now | >>but would like to have some house protection installed. My back ground is | >>a Journeyman Electrician with extensive work with Edwards fire alarm | >>systems so I feel pretty confidant that I can program this. | >>

| >> Again, thank you James and Robert L Bass. This will be a great help. | >> Now I don't have to use the 2 line alphanumeric keypad to do the | >> programming. | >

| >

| > The software won't do you any good without a compatible modem. | | I have an extensive electrical background, too. And I've done programming | for industrial computer controlled equipment and PLC's. However, I was given | a price of $50 to have someone else program my 15P Vista and for that price | I'm not even turning the page in the programming manual. There's a time and | place for a pro. | | Bob | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yeah, software not straight-forward or user friendly. Modem was difficult to find or expensive to buy. It took me days to figure out my Vista 20P on the Compass, trying to figure out what on the screen related to what in the programming docs. I program computers, not panels. Alarm panels have a logic of their own and the Compass software doesn't even follow much computer programming logic :)

Reply to
Joe Lucia

Thats hardly the point

Reply to
Mark Leuck

irresponsible

Welcome to RLB's world, glad you could make it

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not true at all, if someone posts here wanting the software we don't know if he's a dealer, installer or a customer. I would tell someone to go to Honeywell's site as well since if they ARE a dealer or installer they will have no problem signing up and getting the login as opposed to the average joe who won't

Nobodies toying with anyone

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.