Compact cheap "surveilance" camera

Good luck.

Reply to
teflon nonstick
Loading thread data ...

There must be lots of old Handycams that chew up tapes but the camera still works. I have one and could connect it to a computer that could record when there is motion. If I knew of suitable software, which I don't.

Reply to
Matty F

If you have a PC available, just get a USB camera ~$20 off trademe and some free video motion sensing software which can trigger a few seconds of digital recording.

-KENT

Reply to
Kent Smith

I agree that alarm monitoring doesn't address the issue. The self locking door is a good start. There was also a suggestion for a $20 web cam with motion detector software. That is probably your best bet.

I set one up and it worked pretty well. It records for 30 seconds every time it sees motion. The Camera cost me $20 and the software was under $40. Doesn't use too much hardware or disk space. It was set to automatically delete clips over 7 days old.

I would also get a timer switch for the lights. You have to get up and turn them back on every 30 minutes. I installed one in my basement because the kids always forgot to turn off the lights and I was too lazy to go down the stairs and do it myself.

If you could rig a magnet to hold the door open when the lights are on, you would be well on your way to solving everything. If nobody re-sets the light timer, the lights go off and the door shuts and locks every thirty minutes. If someone is there, they have to get up, turn on the lights, and open the door again.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Card access is perfect for your application. The door is electrically locked. You eschew your existing combo lock, and install a mag. lock or electric strike. The careless members can't forget to lock it. The card access system permits only those with cards to enter the premises, and records who entered and when.

If you think it's too expensive, you can't afford video anyway. js

Reply to
alarman

LOL, its amazing how many people are offended by that concept. "It should be less thna $50." LOL.

I've found its not wise to argue these things. I once argued that CD writing technology would never be affordable to the average computer user. I could claim that I am still correct as commercial grade CD writing is NOT affordable or even easy to find for the average computer user, but the new lower power softer surface CDR systems are certainly affordable if not downright cheap. To the average computer user they are indistinguishable.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This is really the cheapest solution. Any old PC with a USB port, plus something like a D-Link DSB C100.

Reply to
SMS

Try

formatting link

Reply to
Les George

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

You do not need "card access", you already have a combination that should only be known to members*, what you now need is a self closing door which can be easily opened from inside but can only be reopened from outside with the combination. We have a secure room at work with just such a system, it works, and it was not expensive. You do not need to know who opened it, and you do not need to know who failed to lock it since it locks its self. Your proposed surveillance camera system would cost more than my proposal. In fact I begin to question why your are so insistent on a surveillance system, what or who do you really want to record?

• If it is known to non-members then it does not mater if the last one out did lock-up.
Reply to
Prometheus

Go for a security camera and recorder set up. Will be the most satisfactory solution and the easiest to use.

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

her is a search url for new-egg that gives you

2 different, decent, inexpensive internet/network/computer-browser/record to hard drive/ motion sensing video cams... one wired one wireless

formatting link
you need to connect it to a cheap, crappy spare computer with a big hard drive for storage or to the computer network in the club (if there is one) if the club has a hi-speed internet line, you can monitor the video feed anytime you want (so you'll know the doors are closed)

simple, easy, and after the problem is solved you can re-use the camera at home or anywhere else there is a computer and a need for an extra pair of eyes

Ciao

Ventura

formatting link
A club I am a member of has a problem, members keep leaving the club's

Reply to
Ventura

I've previously bought gear from X10 -- once. Then I discovered that they're completely unrepentant spammers. :(

I strongly recommend attempting to find another vendor. The equipment worked fine (control, not video), but I would suggest that this isn't the kind of business you want to support.

Reply to
Zed Pobre

Cost aside, a card-swipe system (or key-fob or other codable access device) will really give you what you need, IF you go with a self-closing, self-locking door. Every time someone swipes in, his access ID is logged, so you know who (or at least whose card) opened the door. The only way the door will stay open then is if that person blocks it open. Either way, it becomes that person's responsibility. If there's a recurring problem with one person leaving the door open and/or passing out his card to other people, you simply revoke that card's access.

If you wanted to be really fancy, most access-control systems can interface to a camera system (DVR or VCR-based) with a text-overlay interface, to imprint the name or code number of the person entering over the picture of the gate...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Something like this seems to be exactly what you're looking for:

formatting link
They aren't particularly cheap, though.

Reply to
Matt Ion

I bought from them and received email sales pitches. I finally returned the "take me off your list" in their email and never received another email from them. Not really difficult to do. You should have tried it. Easier than being angry. I think you can also opt out of the email notifications when you order.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Until a member props the door open. Might be nice to know about that. Might also be interresting to know who was there. js

Reply to
alarman

Put some venting in so the door doesn't have to be propped open in the summer and put a loud 5min delay alarm on the door to indicate it is propped open.

Reply to
Rebel

Reply to
alarman

I agree with the other posters about the old computer with USB and a cheap ebay camera. I have a couple of these setups working right now. Mine at home is a 500mhz AMD with 128meg memory and Windows 98 with Webcam32 connected through a router to a ISP which saves the pics. I have 2 of these setups one for monitoring a store for motion and one as a test setup for my next setup. I use a USB cam from 3com called a Homeconnect. The advantage of this camera is it's low light capability. It is very reliable with the exception that you need to take it apart about once a year and clean the blue filter inside the camera. These cameras are available for around $20 on ebay. Here's the URL to steve's basement cam. It's up currently but may not be there after this week so look quick and please, no hackers. I know 98 isnt' the most secure software since MS has abandoned it totally with no further patches released for it.

formatting link
Steve

Reply to
Steve m...

In article , alarman writes

Install ventilation that does not allow people access, and fit a loud alarm to the door which sounds if it has been left open for more than a few minutes. You are still making excuses for an intrusive surveillance system which reduce the risk unlawful access and theft. My proposal could even reduce your insurance premium. Why are you so insistent that people should be recorded?

Reply to
Prometheus

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.