Commercial Burg

Very good point and it would seem the customer has been thinking this way. When I handed him my proposal on Friday he mentioned that the cost of the system was higher that he could afford and was considering not doing a UL system. He was going to contact his Ins. Co. and see what the premium would be for a lesser (normal) system.

There are other issues going on here and I may be well advised to walk away. I easily have 8 hours into inspection, discussions, study and learning, phone calls, pricing, proposal writing, etc. etc. I could have been doing other things with that time. And so it goes.................................

Thanks for all the input. I now have a better knowledge base on this type of application and will say NO much quicker in the future.

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

In the future, if asked by someone to do a UL commercial system, having had this experience, you might want to consider taking the position of "advisor" and educating the consumer of all of the possible "pitfalls" , installation expenses, paperwork, and on-going expenses after the installation that are propegated by the insurance companies and UL leigon. Tell them you will give them a quote on a great system that's not UL and once they've gotten all the quotes from the UL installers, have them get back to you for a "better route" to take. I've gotten a few takers in my time on this basis simply because I was deemed the knowledgeable "straight shooter" of the whole lot. As I said, most alarm companys who do UL installations wouldn't think of offering anything other than a UL system.

With all that you've learned on the subject, you just might want to do a little write up on all the facts and put it in a folder somewhere. The next time you get asked by someone you'll have a crib sheet to work from. Just copy all of the posts in this thread, for instance.

Reply to
Jim

In the future, if asked by someone to do a UL commercial system, having had this experience, you might want to consider taking the position of "advisor" and educating the consumer of all of the possible "pitfalls" , installation expenses, paperwork, and on-going expenses after the installation that are propegated by the insurance companies and UL leigon. Tell them you will give them a quote on a great system that's not UL and once they've gotten all the quotes from the UL installers, have them get back to you for a "better route" to take. I've gotten a few takers in my time on this basis simply because I was deemed the knowledgeable "straight shooter" of the whole lot. As I said, most alarm companys who do UL installations wouldn't think of offering anything other than a UL system.

With all that you've learned on the subject, you just might want to do a little write up on all the facts and put it in a folder somewhere. The next time you get asked by someone you'll have a crib sheet to work from. Just copy all of the posts in this thread, for instance.

Funny thing is I was thinking the exact same thing. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.