Coax as data cable

So I go to this site to program a DiBos where a Samsung Digital Watchdog was. I notice something hanging off the back besides regular BNC connections that I originally thought was a mike connection. It looked like a DIY job with screw on BNC connectors instead of 2 or 3 piece crimp on connections. When I looked hard at it I realized someone ran an extra coax instead of data wire to the PTZ. That I had never seen before. I hope no one here is going to tell me how great it is to use coax for PTZ data cable. Now it looks like its time to run new coax and 485 cable to the PTZ. I guess the customer is going to love getting charged for that.

Reply to
Roland
Loading thread data ...

Numerous professional installations still emoploy screw-on BNC connectors for CCTV. They work fine for composite video only but they're not good enough for hi-def and some up-the-coax data applications.

As mentioned above, up-the-coax PTZ control data is an option. Whether that was the intent of the person who did the job, of course, is another question.

If it's a lengthy cable run your customer might be happier if you first consider sending the PTZ via that extra coax. It works well when properly set up and it can be a time saver for you.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Rather than run a data cable for control, can use use Bilinx on the existing coax?

formatting link

Reply to
J. Sloud
  1. >Numerous professional installations still emoploy screw-on BNC connectors
  1. >As mentioned above, up-the-coax PTZ control data is an option.
  2. >If it's a lengthy cable run your customer might be happier if you first

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Wow... You never have even *SEEN* a CCTV system apparently. Screw-on BNC's huh? LOL....

The only viable data over coax I've seen is Pelco's 'Coaxatron' protocol which requires Pelco products on each end. I suppose one could also use third party modems on each side to transmit rs485 data, but that would be cost prohibitive compared to just running a Cat5 with the coax -- even then only one cable is needed for data and video, so I don't know what the heck that second coax is for.

I hope the 2 hour phone course CCTV 101 is not offered in your distance learning catalog.

Reply to
G. Morgan

The Bilinx as you know only works with a PTZ that accepts Bilinx like the Bosch Envirodome. Since this is a Samsung/GVI PTZ PTZ I'll have to use Biphase if I'm lucky (which I doubt) or RS-232 or RS-232,422,485 converter. I haven't sniffed out the options just yet. I was too damn disgusted with what I saw and wanted to maintain my cool in front of the customer.

Reply to
Roland Moore

No need to cry, Cracker.

Oh, really? Heh, heh, heh. Read on, grass-toker.

Screw-on

You're a relative newcomer, Cracker. Screw-on BNC connectors have been around for many years. While not ideal they are in use and they are viable for *average* quality CCTV.

You're thinking of their "Coaxitron" system but it's far from the only one around. You lack experience and knowledge not only of the name of the product but of the popularity of the medium among professional installers.

That's because you've seen so little CCTV. Bosch makes a well-known (well, among CCTV ionstallers it's well known; you say you never saw it though) coax PTZ transmission system.

Baluns are also commonly used to convert a data signal for transmission over coax.

Axis is another company whose PTZ cameras can be controlled over coax. In fact, the same coax can be used for simultaneous PTZ and video transmission.

Muxlab is yet another well known maker of baluns for PTZ+video over coax.

I sell most of these brands online so, unlike the pugnacious idiot who posted above, I actually know about them.

No, moron. You woulkd not use modems. You (well, not you actually but a professional installer or a DIYer) could use balums.

In your zeal to squeal you seem not to have even finished reading my post before demonstrating your lack of knowledge. As I said in my initial reply, "If it's a lengthy cable run your customer might be happier if you first consider sending the PTZ via that extra coax. It works well when properly set up and it can be a time saver for you." The meaning should be clear to anyone capable of thought (you might want to hire someone to help you out here) that it may be more economical to use a PTZ up-the-coax solution than to run new cable. The type of cable isn't so much the issue since coax and CAT5 are of similar cost. It's an application specific question which the OP will need to assess for himself.

Some folks run 2 cables when they only need one in case they need another for a second camera later. Since the cable itself is usually much less expensive than the labor to pull a new one later, that can be a good thing.

It wouldn't matter anyway. You've never been sober long enough to finish the class.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I my opinion if you can't make a decent 2 or 3 piece crimp on BNC connection in your sleep your not a professional in the CCTV world period. Using a screw on for an emergency repair when your out of ALL other resources is okay for a temporary fix. To any and all who have been in the business for decades, or says they have been, then everyone should have thousands of crimp on BNC connections under their belt, if for no other reason than fixing all the twist on crap out there growing beards when the tape falls off.

Bilinx, Panasonic up the coax, Pelco up the coax etc are not interchangable. In this case the Samsung/GVI PTZ doesn't support bilinx (and probably not Biphase either).

I believe you'd run out of video signal on RG-59 or RG-6 run long before you'd run out of control signal on a 485 data run. If the turd doing the original installation had not used coax at all, and just the correct data cable instead, I could have used twisted sender and 485.

I have no idea either. That's why I posted just to see if there was something I missed. I have seen guys do strange things like terminate all coax with F connectors and then use an adapter to BNC connectors because they say it gives better signal strength, even when you show them on a meter the extra dB loss, they still persist.

Reply to
Roland Moore

I didn't say it was the best solution. I only stated (correctly) that many professional installers do use them.

It's proably not an issue unless the place is huge. If it is that large, a pair of Muxlab baluns might save you a lot of work and save your customer some money.

Oh, this is in Waco? I didn't reallize... :^)

You've still got lots of options. See my earlier response to Cracker's idiocy.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hey Morgan use other product some times!!!

Panasonic can control there ptz from coax,and those are not the only one..

"G. Morgan" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Petem

I didn't know if you were replacing the cameras or not. I can't see how any data format be it 422, 485, biphase, etc could make it any distance over anything other than a twisted pair cable unless they used some sort of balun on either end. The DIBOS 8 is a sweet box, btw.

Reply to
J. Sloud

I like the Version 8 DiBos too. Unfortunately this is only temporary until we put X1600 units in. Since I got certificate number 120 on the training for BVIP I don't think there is a lot of the BVIP product installed just yet. I'll let you know how it goes, if it doesn't eat my ass too badly. I discovered another regional preference. It seems folks that post here use Muxlab Baluns. In our area I have only seen NiTek and we typically use the Twisted Sender system. I had to call ADI to figure out they carried the Muxlab line. Unfortunately the guy at the counter said he didn't remember ever selling any of that brand, but would be glad to sell me some. I don't even know who else carries Muxlab around here, but I am going to find out.

Reply to
Roland

I sell both Muxlab and Nitek to DIYers. They're available through several distributors. Contact me by phone or email and I'll give you distributor contact info.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

what's wrong with the twist on BNC connectors ?

Reply to
Don

Nothing. We've taken over more "twist on" jobs than I can count on four hands. The service calls we get for them don't have anything to do with "connection" problems. They're not my "preferred" type, but then this business is full of "choices". "You go with what works"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

any of them mailorder diy systems?

Reply to
Don

I'm always looking for better ways to do things. What are the preferred BNC connectors and tool to attach them? must I solder or will crimp work? I have used crimp ons from ADI but they don't seem to stay on as well as the twistys.

Reply to
Don

I'm on the "wet coast". Solder works best for most anything involving "connections". That being said I can't recall a problem involving a "twist on" connector. Heaters fail resulting in condensation problems and then there's the "tire iron" service call. That's where the perp beats the crap out of the camera with a tire iron (or similar blunt object) until service is required. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
alarman

Reply to
Roland

The best way to make the *electrical* connection is solder. Second best is a "wipe" contact which can be achieved using screw on or crimp on connectors. Electrically, both are the same.

The best *physical* connection is made using compression connectors. The advantage isn't electrical integrity. As you say, the devices are less prone to come apart later.

For clarity, I never said that screw on connectors are better than, or even as good as others. I only pointed out (correctly) that many professional CCTV installers do use them.

I tried using compression fittings some years ago and never used anything else since.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.