Check in

Ok, it has been almost a week and a half since the last funny story and I am guessing it is time for a "Check In".

So I will be the first to say Hello to all!!!

Things here are still "NUTS"!! Friday I did my VERY FIRST EVER, Very First Ever replacement of a concealed panic hardware on a full glass aluminum entrance door. The hard part came when the bottom rod was longer than the top and I could not remove up the door. That is when I realized that the door was going to have to be removed from the frame at the hinges. There was nobody helping me. There was nobody at the store. All alone was I!! At the point I was at, there was no going back. I had to do this myself............ Had to prep the area where to place the door on the sidewalk. Used some wire boxes from the van to support the door. Then I started to remove the hinge screws. The fist Phillips Head screw was already stripped, impossible to remove, had to drill out the screw. Aggggggg!!!

Finally got all the hinge screws out and then............ I then realize that the door was VERY VERY heavy. All the time I am thinking....... Don't break the glass.........................

After assembly and re-mounting all was good. Oh Yea!! Had to go to local hardware store to get new hinge screws. #12-24!!! Fortunately they had the flat head screws but not Philips Head. I was TOLD while looking for the screws that my red bandanna needed be over my nose............ It fogs my glasses and I can't see!! Oh, I forgot to mention I was the ONLY customer in the building!!

Anyhow, the door is good and I am quite pleased with the completed task!! I will be more pleased when the invoice is paid.

I can now add "Door Repair Fixer Upper" to my resume'.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!!! :-)

Hope all you's are doing as well as possible and everybody is being safe a you can.

Be advised that everything you hear today will be different tomorrow.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Get yourself one of those "Trump 2020" face masks, they always tell me I don't need a mask, after I put it on. LOL

Reply to
RTS

LOL I also notice I don't get nearly as many "anti-trumpers" comments, when I wear my 357 with the big ole Hogan grips and red dot scope..

Reply to
RTS

I was thinking about getting a Hillary mask.

I'm pretty sure that would keep any ole deadly virus away.

However, I've been experimenting and I've found that by putting a clear 50 pound Hefty bag over my head I can get about 15 minutes worth of air before having to remove it. So that just means I have to limit my shopping to 15 minute time periods.

One of the problems with using it repeatedly during a short time is that th e moisture begins to accumulate and sort of creates a little mini weather c ondition inside the bag.

The other day I had to use it about six times in a row and I actually saw s ome clouds, rain and I'm pretty sure I saw a little bit of lightning too. I t just may have been static electricity but I felt a little bit tingly and ever since then I haven't able to get my hair to lay flat. Had to change ou t of my wet cloths too.

After that, I was thinking that maybe I could try and modify the bag with a diving snorkel to vent some of the moisture and then I thought, why not ju st wear the diving mask and use the snorkel with some cotton stuffed in it as a filter. When I walked into Stop and Shop, the guard looked at me kind of funny, ran over and spoke to the manager and came back and told me I had to leave. I started to object but he held his hand over my snorkel and I c ouldn't breathe. so I left.

People just don't understand innovation.

As you say, however, I'm thinking that if I return with my mask, snorkel an d Colt 357 Magnum, they might reconsider.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Funny mental picture!! If you can think it, somebody will do it.

Reply to
ABLE1

get you a wide brim hat, place the clear plastic bag over that, where it can hang down over your head to the neck. then attach a battery powered fan (blower) using a hose to the plastic bag (on the back side.) be careful where you place the fan (don't want to suck up any, farts, could become hard to breath,,) then seal the bottom of the bag with the "handyman's secret weapon" Duct tape.. ( oh yea, allow a small hole at the top over the hat for air to escape, but not too big, you want the fan to inflate the bag)

now that rig should impress the lower life forms you might encounter..

and allow you plenty of time to do your business.. ;-)

Reply to
RTS

ept for necessary reasons.

e going up and up all around me.

Hi Les,

Sounds like you had a "fun" time with that door.

I've been working in mostly new construction. I've been arriving on the job about 3PM. If there are any other trades that have been working they usual ly leave about that time. I'll then work till anywhere around 8/9/10 PM dep ending if I can complete a task or not. I've got several jobs that I've sus pended because they're inside of peoples homes and since everyone is home, I'm not going to spend the day working with a mask and gloves. They've all agreed that's it's best to wait until this is over. I'll be going to a doct ors office tomorrow since it's closed and adding a new camera to an existin g system and adding a new TV in another exam room. I guess that's a new tre nd. I've got a few doctors offices and they all have TV's in their exam roo ms. I guess my personal health insurance isn't too good because none of the doctors I go to have TV's in their exam rooms. I just get to look at the a natomy posters on the wall.

Today, I'll be starting to set up the board in the utility room in a 60,000 square foot building one of my customers just bought and is going to move into in about a year. I want to mount some empty boxes that will be used to house zone expansion modules and terminal blocks in the future as zones ar e added. I'll be using the Napco 255 zone panel. I have to figure out how I 'm going to route the cables between boxes. I'll be mounting 3 additional b oxes. I have a lot of spare metal boxes from panels I've pulled out so I th ought I'd recycle them. But typical metal alarm boxes only have one inch kn ockouts so I'm figuring I'll have to punch some bigger holes and use some k ind of fitting. but haven't decided yet on PVC ? , metal conduit ? Flex tub ing ? I don't know yet.

I'm thinking mounting the 4 boxes in a square with two big conduits from ea ch box to each of the other boxes. Don't forget, I have the potential of 25

5 zones and I'm running at the least 22 gage 4 wire and I've already had to run 8 eight conductor 18 gage wires to the far end of the building for key pads with EZM zones. I didn't want the voltage drop to be a problem. Keypad s draw 100ma. From those keypad, I'll be using the EZM zones for some tempo rary security as they move their wood shop machinery from their present bui lding to this new building.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Jim,

I understand the desire to recycle (I have a lot of empty cans as well) However, I have found that doing it as you describe becomes a bit of ugly when all is finished. So my way of handling the large jobs is to use the ELK Structured Wiring cans. Go here:

formatting link

This is the one I suggest.

formatting link

I have two large buildings on the same property with at least four each located at comfortable spacing in the buildings. Filled with Auxiliary Power Supplies, Zone Expanders, Relay Modules, etc. Works out very well and looks even better. Oh and the cans have 1/2", 3/4", and 1 1/4" Knockouts. COOL!!!

Check them out.

BTW I do not get any commission on your purchases so it won't do you any good to mention my name. :-)

Hope your project goes well.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

job about 3PM. If there are any other trades that have been working they u sually leave about that time. I'll then work till anywhere around 8/9/10 PM depending if I can complete a task or not. I've got several jobs that I've suspended because they're inside of peoples homes and since everyone is ho me, I'm not going to spend the day working with a mask and gloves. They've all agreed that's it's best to wait until this is over. I'll be going to a doctors office tomorrow since it's closed and adding a new camera to an exi sting system and adding a new TV in another exam room. I guess that's a new trend. I've got a few doctors offices and they all have TV's in their exam rooms. I guess my personal health insurance isn't too good because none of the doctors I go to have TV's in their exam rooms. I just get to look at t he anatomy posters on the wall.

,000 square foot building one of my customers just bought and is going to m ove into in about a year. I want to mount some empty boxes that will be use d to house zone expansion modules and terminal blocks in the future as zone s are added. I'll be using the Napco 255 zone panel. I have to figure out h ow I'm going to route the cables between boxes. I'll be mounting 3 addition al boxes. I have a lot of spare metal boxes from panels I've pulled out so I thought I'd recycle them. But typical metal alarm boxes only have one inc h knockouts so I'm figuring I'll have to punch some bigger holes and use so me kind of fitting. but haven't decided yet on PVC ? , metal conduit ? Flex tubing ? I don't know yet.

m each box to each of the other boxes. Don't forget, I have the potential o f 255 zones and I'm running at the least 22 gage 4 wire and I've already ha d to run 8 eight conductor 18 gage wires to the far end of the building for keypads with EZM zones. I didn't want the voltage drop to be a problem. Ke ypads draw 100ma. From those keypad, I'll be using the EZM zones for some t emporary security as they move their wood shop machinery from their present building to this new building.

Hi Les,

Looking at those boxes. I guess one big box would be better than 4 smaller boxes and I wouldn't have to worry about connecting them.

I've used this kind of box a long time ago when structured wiring just star ted to become popular but most of the time, the size of the jobs I usually do don't warrant a box like this.

With these Elk boxes Tell me if I've got this right about the multi purpose mounting plates. These appear to be a means to mount printed circuit board s on with stand offs ----- Yes?

So with Napco, their accessories are self contained in hard covered modules . So I'm assuming I could just mount them directly to the back of the Elk b ox screwed into the back-board ---- Yes?

The only thing I can think of that would have a circuit board would be an A lronix aux power supply and/or s siren driver or two.

And how about the battery shelf? Ever use that? I'm presuming you don't put the alarm panel or PCB in the ELK box (?)

How about screw terminal blocks? I like to bring back as many individual wi res to the main box as I can and then consolidate a number of openings at a terminal block into a single pair that then goes to the panel or EZM Zone. On smaller jobs this might amount to a couple of terminal blocks but on thi s job I have to anticipate (blank) number of possible future zones as the s ystem grows. Of course the terminal blocks being labeled/documented makes f or real easy trouble shooting.

On the other hand since I'm pretty sure I'll be retired before this system ever needs any substantial service, I could just splice everything with bea nies and use number tags and leave it for the next guy to figure out. :-)

Naaaah! I wouldn't even do that to you. :->

Anyway, I know Molex has got a lot of terminal choices === you have a ny other ideas?

Reply to
Jim Davis

I had a gnat fly in my mouth the other day. He tasted like mosquito repellent.

HACK! HACK! HACK!

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Jim,

What I would do is use my CAD and draw the can up to scale as well as the individual boards, relays, cards, etc. and lay things out if various configurations. Pick the one that makes the most sense and then do it different when I am on site. :-)

There have been a few jobs that I used the ELK can and mounted the security motherboard and other components in the can. Just because it would have been pointless to use the can that came with the panel.

As for the battery shelf. Never used one. It only comes in handy if the battery is better mounted above the bottom because of a lot of cables coming up from the floor. Actually I don't do that. Most of my cable come down from the top or in from the back about halfway up.

Terminal Strips?? eBay Search for: Electric Barrier Strip Block 600V I know they are for up to 600v but they are very easy to mount and use. They come with a nice clear cover that can be labeled to look good. Then again you may have your favorite.

I think you will find using these panel will be a big pleasure. There are a lot of accessories that will make things easier. You will just have to purchase wisely my friend.

Hope this helps you ease you mind a bit.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Oh my Bob, You don't know where that thing has been.

And you let it get in your mouth???

Maybe you should go stand in line and get tested for something!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Let's see now -----

If you had a choice between eating a gnat that tasted like mosquito repellent and a green horse fly that tasted like horseshit

Which would you choose?

Sorry Bob, I just couldn't resist :-D

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim, Your resistance was futile..................

Oh and Bob, think about it!! There has to be another choice. Not!! :-)

ROFLOL

Reply to
ABLE1

My place is surrounded by citrus and alfalfa, so gnats are a regular hazard. Mosquitos for some reason not so much. Several of my neighbors have horses as well, but no horse flies either. Never heard of a green horse fly, but we have a big black one that I see out on the river fairly often in the summer time. They will but a nasty bite on you, and are hard to hit with anything. One anglers I used to knew kept a badminton racket in his boat for taking them out.

Anyway, not the first gnat I've wound up eating or spitting out. Just the first one that tasted like deet. FYI: Mosquito repellent seems to have no affect on them. I tried back when I first moved to this place back in 2005/06.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Many Many years ago when I was the Maintenance Supervisor for a Plastic Extrusion Company I had a very small office near the shop. (maybe 11' x 9') One summer there was this standard housefly that got into the office. Since he was young he was very fast and I could not get him. Buzz buzz buzz around and then would hide for a while. Myself in and out of the office all day. Drove me nuts for 3 days. Now the fly is 3 days older and getting slower. He sat down on my desk and I very quickly reached out and caught him in my hand. Yahoo!! Gotcha sucker!!

Due to the torture he bestowed on me for 3 frickin days there had to be some appropriate punishment that was needed for this now captured fly. So I pulled off a bit of Scotch Tape and gently stuck him to it. His legs were wiggling and his wings were trying to get loose but the sticky Scotch Tape adhesive would not let him go. I walked him out to the shipping dock and gently stuck the tape with the fly to the floor. He continued to try and get free but he couldn't!! I then went over to the walk-behind forklift and positioned the left front wheel in line with the fly. I the slowly (ever so slowly) moved the the 4,750lb forklift forward. Once the tire rolled over the fly I went back and forth a couple of time just make sure he was DEAD. I then pealed the Scotch Tape with squished fly off the floor and returned to my office where I pinned it to my bulletin board. I did not have another fly enter my office for the rest of the summer.

Wow, just typing that, made me feel so good!! LOL

I hope you all enjoyed reading my little fly story!! :-) You may now resume your normal activities................

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Did you cackle and rub your hand together as you dreamed up your revenge?

A few years ago I tried to grow a winter garden. Black birds and grackles were eating my seedlings as fast as they would sprout. I looked them up. There is actually an international treaty protecting both of them, but there is a clause in that treaty where I can exterminate them with extreme prejudice when they are causing substantial harm to crops. I broke out an air rifle and spent the next several weeks shooting anything with wings that came near my garden. I'd go pick them up and toss them in the garbage, but one day I popped two crackles and a customer called. Those two grackles got left at the end of the rows of broccoli for several days, and as long as they laid there not another grackle came near my garden.

FYI, If a grackle happens to bend down towards you a properly tuned .25 Marauder will put a 25.4 grain pellet though his beak and exit his asshole at 30 yards without hardly slowing down.

P.S. I am sure when you were a kid somebody said they had a Benjamin/Sheridan/Daisy/ etc that they could pump up a hundred times and it would shoot like a .22. They were full of shit. LOL. My .25 Marauder develops about half the energy of a .22 long rifle. There are air rifles that develop as much energy (or more) as a 45 acp, but they sure aren't doing it with a .177 caliber 7 grain flat nosed cast lead badminton birdie. My Marauder is charged to 3000 PSI with an SCBA compressor or SCBA tank and gets 28 shots at a little over 900FPS before velocity starts to drop, and I go refill it. Its an awesome medium range game bird killer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

PPS: When I was a kid my Daisy 880 did a number on horse flies. 2 pumps with a steel BB would take one off the side of an aluminum drop tank without leaving a dent. It would leave a pretty healthy dent on the side of the feed shed though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have a Beeman Silver Kodiak X2 single pump will move a .177 pellet at a speed of 1000fps. Unless I am having a bad day, all targets are sent to ~~~~~~~~~>>>>>>>> another place.

Yes, those good old Daisy steel BB's will also shatter A-L-L the glass windows that are located in the neighbors chicken coop............ Don't ask me how I know!!!

Reply to
ABLE1

On 5/14/2020 1:30 PM, ABLE1 wrote: > On 5/14/2020 3:22 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> On 5/14/2020 12:20 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >>> On 5/14/2020 9:56 AM, ABLE1 wrote: >>>> On 5/14/2020 10:20 AM, Bob La Londe wrote: >>>>> On 5/12/2020 5:13 AM, ABLE1 wrote: >>>>>> On 5/11/2020 10:58 PM, Jim Davis wrote: >>>>>>> On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 8:58:18 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >>>>>>>> On 4/4/2020 1:47 PM, Jim Davis wrote: >>>>>>>>> Hey! >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> How's everybody doing? >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> I had a gnat fly in my mouth the other day. He tasted like mosquito >>>>>>>> repellent. >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> HACK! HACK! HACK! >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Let's see now ----- >>>>>>> >>>>>>> If you had a choice between eating a gnat that tasted like mosquito repellent and a green horse fly that tasted like horseshit >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Which would you choose? >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Sorry Bob, I just couldn't resist >>>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> Jim, Your resistance was futile.................. >>>>>> >>>>>> Oh and Bob, think about it!! There has to be another choice. Not!! >>>>>> >>>>>> ROFLOL >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> My place is surrounded by citrus and alfalfa, so gnats are a regular hazard. Mosquitos for some reason not so much. Several of my neighbors have horses as well, but no horse flies either. Never heard of a green horse fly, but we have a big black one that I see out on the river fairly often in the summer time. They will but a nasty bite on you, and are hard to hit with anything. One anglers I used to knew kept a badminton racket in his boat for taking them out. >>>>> >>>>> Anyway, not the first gnat I've wound up eating or spitting out. Just the first one that tasted like deet. FYI: Mosquito repellent seems to have no affect on them. I tried back when I first moved to this place back in 2005/06. >>>> >>>> Many Many years ago when I was the Maintenance Supervisor for a Plastic >>>> Extrusion Company I had a very small office near the shop. >>>> (maybe 11' x 9') One summer there was this standard housefly that got >>>> into the office. Since he was young he was very fast and I could not >>>> get him. Buzz buzz buzz around and then would hide for a while. >>>> Myself in and out of the office all day. Drove me nuts for 3 days. Now >>>> the fly is 3 days older and getting slower. He sat down on my desk and >>>> I very quickly reached out and caught him in my hand. >>>> Yahoo!! Gotcha sucker!! >>>> >>>> Due to the torture he bestowed on me for 3 frickin days there had to be some appropriate punishment that was needed for this now captured fly. >>>> So I pulled off a bit of Scotch Tape and gently stuck him to it. His >>>> legs were wiggling and his wings were trying to get loose but the sticky >>>> Scotch Tape adhesive would not let him go. I walked him out to the >>>> shipping dock and gently stuck the tape with the fly to the floor. He >>>> continued to try and get free but he couldn't!! I then went over to >>>> the walk-behind forklift and positioned the left front wheel in line >>>> with the fly. I the slowly (ever so slowly) moved the the 4,750lb >>>> forklift forward. Once the tire rolled over the fly I went back and forth a couple of time just make sure he was DEAD. I then pealed the >>>> Scotch Tape with squished fly off the floor and returned to my office >>>> where I pinned it to my bulletin board. I did not have another fly enter my office for the rest of the summer. >>>> >>>> Wow, just typing that, made me feel so good!! LOL >>>> >>>> I hope you all enjoyed reading my little fly story!! >>>> You may now resume your normal activities................ >>>> >>>> Les >>>> >>>> >>> >>> Did you cackle and rub your hand together as you dreamed up your revenge? >>> >>> A few years ago I tried to grow a winter garden. Black birds and grackles were eating my seedlings as fast as they would sprout. I looked them up. There is actually an international treaty protecting both of them, but there is a clause in that treaty where I can exterminate them with extreme prejudice when they are causing substantial harm to crops. I broke out an air rifle and spent the next several weeks shooting anything with wings that came near my garden. I'd go pick them up and toss them in the garbage, but one day I popped two crackles and a customer called. Those two grackles got left at the end of the rows of broccoli for several days, and as long as they laid there not another grackle came near my garden. >>> >>> FYI, If a grackle happens to bend down towards you a properly tuned .25 Marauder will put a 25.4 grain pellet though his beak and exit his asshole at 30 yards without hardly slowing down. >>> >>> P.S. I am sure when you were a kid somebody said they had a Benjamin/Sheridan/Daisy/ etc that they could pump up a hundred times and it would shoot like a .22. They were full of shit. LOL. My .25 Marauder develops about half the energy of a .22 long rifle. There are air rifles that develop as much energy (or more) as a 45 acp, but they sure aren't doing it with a .177 caliber 7 grain flat nosed cast lead badminton birdie. My Marauder is charged to 3000 PSI with an SCBA compressor or SCBA tank and gets 28 shots at a little over 900FPS before velocity starts to drop, and I go refill it. Its an awesome medium range game bird killer. >>> >> >> >> PPS: When I was a kid my Daisy 880 did a number on horse flies. 2 pumps with a steel BB would take one off the side of an aluminum drop tank without leaving a dent. It would leave a pretty healthy dent on the side of the feed shed though. > > I have a Beeman Silver Kodiak X2 single pump will move a .177 pellet > at a speed of 1000fps. Unless I am having a bad day, all targets are > sent to ~~~~~~~~~>>>>>>>> another place. > > Yes, those good old Daisy steel BB's will also shatter A-L-L the glass > windows that are located in the neighbors chicken coop............ > Don't ask me how I know!!! >

If that's what it said on the box it may and it may not, but they post their bragging speeds with a light weight pellet under ideal circumstances with their best guns off the line. I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it on the ProChrono, (Chronys suck) and I wouldn't expect to see it except with a 7-7.4 grain pellet. It might even go super sonic with a light alloy (5.4gr if I recall) pellet, but it would have little energy if it did hit its target.

If you are getting 1000FPS with a 7 grain pellet that is still about

15.5 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Almost twice the legal energy for an airgun in the UK. If its making the kill shots you need then its more than adequate, but I bet if you bumped up to a heavier round nose your terminal energy would increase dramatically even though your velocity would drop. I can't speak about accuracy. I always found spring piston guns to be problematic to shoot due to the double recoil. Some people love them though. I went with PCP and love it. Its like shooting a light powder burner. I've got a .177 Marauder also. It shoots about 120 shots out of it regulated and tuned for a hair over 20FPE shooting 10.65 grain copper plated domes at 940-950 FPS (over the ProChrono). Its made my longest airgun kill shot at 94 yards. (gopher)

My favorite though is a Chinese BAM-50 .22. I never got it tuned for a great shot count, but at the range I'll shoot it tethered to an air tank with 14.3 grain Crosman hollow points. Yeah, the tins from the discount store (if they are in stock). I have it adjusted to shoot 1035-1050 at full pressure. If there is no wind and I can have a couple ranging shots I can put shot after shot on a golf ball size target at 135 yards. That's how far it is to the mountain back stop at our local small bore range. I do have to look for the pellets that are clean without flashing to do that though.

If you want to play with other pellets I favor the JSB Exact in all calibers. They have a nice range of weights in most common calibers too, although you will probably have to order them from an airgun supply. You won't find them at WalMart.

The .25 Marauder is putting out a consistent 45+ ft/lbs at the muzzle with JSB Exact Kings. Its no toy. (.22LR generic is about 110ft/lbs)

I ran a .25 Kalibre Cricket regulated bullpup for a while. Its was a little more powerful, very accurate, much higher shot count, and to damned expensive for me to leave by the back door of the shop. I sold it before I scratched it. LOL.

If you want to have some fun (and annoy your neighbors) look into dieseling. That will get you super sonic with a bang in a spring piston gun. I've heard its hard on seals though. Used to do it with my Nitro Piston gun since it wouldn't hold a group anyway. I both loved and hated that thing. Light and easy to hold. Would group for about 5-7 shots and then the group would move.

I almost forgot. I have a Hatsan .22 underlever also, but its on indefinite loan to my dad. Shoots a consistent 940fps shot after shot with 14.3 Crosman pellets. That might be with a heavier JSB pellet. I forget. Its a beast. Underlever spring piston, and if the lever gets away from you it could very well break your fingers. Recoil on it is crazy for a pellet gun. Its also heavy, which does help with the recoil.

I still have a Daisy 880 in the closet.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.