Changing User Access Code on Ademco Vista 20P

I've been trying to figure out how to change the codes for the alarm for a few weeks now and can't seem to get it. I've figured out most of the other programming, I'm just stuck on this.

I'm trying to change User 3, as they were programmed before we got the house and I'm not sure who currently knows it.

From what I've read, I need to put - Master Code + 8 + User Code + new code, or some variation of that. But I haven't had any success.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Houston
Loading thread data ...

Try Master Code + 8 + 03 + new code Keypad will beep once if successful.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Thank you for the reply. What you typed is what I've tried. It doesn't give any extra beeps at the end.

Should I press something else at the end? To let it know it's only 4 digits? Do I need to be in programming mode? I wouldn't think so.

Reply to
Jamie Houston

Then the code you are using is not the master code. Give me a call tomorrow, and I will download your panel, and reset your codes.

Jim Rojas (813) 884-6335

Reply to
Jim Rojas

The alarm company they're trying to stiff, ought to be real happy about that.

Reply to
Jim

Aside from all the other advice you've been given I should point out that the Ademco product you're using "forgets" the digits you've pressed if you allow more than about two seconds between button pushes. If you've managed to change the codes in other locations, chances are you have the "master" or "manager" code.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I've managed to change some things. I've gotten into the program mode, using what I thought was the master code. And the alarm company didn't have anything to do with the programming of the alarm or sale of it. It's a new construction that was never monitored before I bought the house, so I'm tasked with setting it up (or the guy that installed it will come out for $75/hour).

Jim - thank you for the offer. If I can't dig up any other codes or get this working I'll give you a call.

Reply to
Jamie Houston

If user 3 is the master code, which it may or may not be on a Vista 20 (not my specialty), you will need to enter the "master/installer code, 8, 03, new code" twice in a row.

Reply to
CH®IS

User code 2 is the system master code, 3 is partition 1 master code

Reply to
mleuck

It would be worth the 75 bucks to fire it up.

You may have even voided their warrantee on a new house new alarm system by messing around with it.

To me it sounds like you have the INSTALLER code not the Master code. With the installer code, you THEN install a MASTER code (user 2) and with the MASTER code you add/delete/change other user codes....including changing the Master but that's a different procedure.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

This is one area where even a DSC Maxsys is easier to work with... You need that code to be a master code? Done. You need this code to be able to access only partitions 1, 4, 7 and 8? No problem. You'd like me to program those now at the keypad instead of getting one of the alpha keypads, ladder, etc. out of the van; wiring it to your panel; getting it addressed; then programming? No problem.

I know the Ademco systems tend to have stable panels that never die, but can't they be a little more user/installer friendly and consistent... or detect a lack of a siren... or maybe even a phone line?

Or perhaps check the battery more often than randomly every 4 hours? Which can be a real pain when trying to close out a work order but the panel hasn't seen the new battery yet and therefore not sent a restoral to make the monitoring station happy.

No wonder they're stable, when they don't do anything it's hard to break them.

By the way, what is terminal 3 for? Well let's see, that would depend on the panel and version and version of that version. Why have a terminal installed onto the board that doesn't do anything other than provide you with an extra screw in case you lose one of the others.

...Ademco rant over, for now.

Reply to
CH®IS

Spend 40 to 45 minutes uploading the Maxsys? check! :)

Reply to
mleuck

I was using the INSTALLER code, thinking it was the same as the master code. I've updated the installer code, using the master code, and now I can program the users with no problem.

Thanks for everyone's help!

-Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Houston

Yer welcome. That's a common mistake btw. just make sure you test EVERYthing.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Well you do have a point there. Although if you're doing it by PC-Link instead of the modem it's much faster, perhaps a couple minutes (5?). I never have used Compass though.

Reply to
CH®IS

Its a lot quicker uploading a Vista-250 with Compass than a 4020 using DLS-2002 however the Vista doesn't have 999 user codes either :)

Reply to
mleuck

1500 codes. I know... it's a ridiculous number. I don't think I've ever used more than 200. Although I'm sure there are systems in large commercial/industrial applications that need the ability to go to 1500.

Although I'm glad the 1832 has gone up to 72 from the 832's 32(ish). Many times we've had to send a code list back to the customer to get them to shorten it by a couple codes. Only once have we installed a Maxsys instead of an 832 just to have more codes available.

Reply to
CH®IS

They must have added more in the later versions, I think the last ones I dealt with were 3.2's

Reply to
mleuck

3.5... perhaps the 3.3 as well
Reply to
CH®IS

wanna chuckle? the bigger DMP panels have 9,999 user codes. I put one in client's home and they were concerned about adding a few codes...when I told them they had 9,990 empty slots left they thought I was joking - they can have a code for everyone they ever knew or will know :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.