Ceiling Motions for really tall rooms

I would like to use 360 motions but the rooms in question are 25ft tall. None of my standard gear goes that high in the spec sheets. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reply to
Randall
Loading thread data ...

Risco-Rokonet makes one that works that high

Reply to
nick markowitz

Aleph has a couple, but they do not list them on their website for some reason. I have used them in insulated metal warehouses with good results, although I prefer to cross cover and do "zone anding" in warehouses to prevent false alarms.

Reply to
Bob L

Can you suspend them on a 10' stick of emt?

Reply to
alarman

You didn't say what the application is ...... commercial, residential, retail ......... ?

The following is a little out of the ordinary but I've found that sometimes in commercial applications, 360 detectors can be a problem due to changing of the surroundings, heating, ventilation, blockage. And, if mounted too high, can be a PITA to adjust..... which is sometimes and on-going necessity because they cover ......... EVERYTHING! And .... in rooms with windows, they are looking right out at the windows, exactly what you DON'T want.

A number of years ago, I had the opportunity to do some experimenting on a job in a building that was going to be occupied while inside construction continued.They were going to arm and disarm the system but not go on line due to construction people possibly setting off the alarm. I set the system up to send opening and closings .... and to report alarms to central ...... but to only report to me.

Since there was a lot of glass at the entrance ways, along with lots of air movement from heating, AC and ventalation .... and suspended gas heaters in the warehouse I tried something that worked out pretty good.

I mounted standard motion detectors on the ceiling ..... looking down at the floor. In some of the entranceways and in the main lobby, I mounted the motion detector on the 25 foot ceiling with the top array of the motion detector creating a "barrier" about ten feet back from the 30 foot wide glass front ..... with the lower two tiers of the array looking back at rest of the shaded lobby. My concern was that the lobby faced west and the sun was going to be a problem along with some decor items near the windows, that could move about with air movement. Also the owner was very picky about seeing a motion detector on the wall in his beautiful new building entrance. ( It was his whining that got me thinking about this use of standard motions on the ceiling)

In the warehouse, with the forced air heating, plastic wrap and other "flappable" items would have created problems. So I mounted motion detectors on the ceiling looking down and masked the lower two tiers of the array. Wall motions were bound to be blocked or crushed eventually and would have been in the path of air movement from the heaters anyway. The array of the motion detector looks straight down at the aisle floor and is just wide enough at the floor, so that it's very difficult to get by without setting off the motion .... but due to the divergence of the field of view of the motion detector, the plastic from the items on the racks don't get picked up. The divergence of the "beam" of long range, narrow beam motion detector mounted at the end of an aisle, will pick up motion on the shelves when the "beam" gets wider than the aisle.

I was able to monitor the system for appoximately 4 months and there were no false alarms due to the environment. It's about four years now and except for the truck drivers not knowing how to disarm the system (Duh) when they come in at 4 AM to pick up their trucks, the system is false alarm free with good "catch" in walk tests.

Since two motions were required in each aisle in the warehouse, one of the fallback plans was to use zone "anding" but I didn't even need to do that. I used straight PIR's ......... no dual tech motions because the microwave detection would be all but useless in this kind of application.

It was a great experiment that worked but I've never had a use for it since.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.