CCTV ? for group

Need some ideas have a working Paddle wheel river boat a customer converted to a home and would like to be able to view cameras I have installed on boat to make sure theres no problems when there not there. They have no phone line available but a WIFI system is availalble at the docks.ideas?

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

There are many ways cameras can be connected to a wireless network (802.11a,b) for sending video.

formatting link
is one example of many out there. This might be more of an IT question since you haven't described distances or bandwidth. Video can eat a lot of bandwidth if not set up properly. Some of this wireless stuff is not something to consider if you have a weak budget.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Reply to
Matt Ion

I have good strong G signal I was thinking I will need a small computer to hook them to with a WIFI Card and will have to limit band width so I do not hog the WIFI off other boaters. Thanks for all the suggestions at least I know were i need to go with my research.

Reply to
nick markowitz

That would work. The other option, of course, is a capture board in the computer and analog cameras.

Either way, though, you'll pretty much have to use a system that can "push" your images to a webserver elsewhere: to access your system directly from the outside, you'd need access to set up port forwarding on the WiFi router/access point, and I'm guessing that wouldn't be possible.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.