Canadian Border is tight!

I have a friend who just went from Houston to Detroit on her way to visit an internet acquaintaince in Toronto. She had been told by the visitors bureau that Candada did not check US citizens with Birth Certificate and photo ID going in. Guess what... She got pulled out for a full background investigation. Being on probation here for a minor felony (family related) they would not permit her to enter the country!

Is this normal procedure or is it the result of the terror activities going on in England at the moment? She was wearing a huge back pack and carrying a fairly large carry on bag. Had a toungue piercing and was probably exhausted after a 40 hour drive from Houston.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter
Loading thread data ...

At the Canadian border, you will be stopped and usually not permitted entry if you have a criminal record. They may permit you to enter if it was a very minor offence and was many years ago. But if you try to lie about it, you're toast !! You should also carry picture ID with a passport being the best thing. In today's world, it is getting more difficult to cross all borders without proper identification and a clean record. I have been told, but cannot confirm, that the Canadian border has been tightened up partly at the request of the US authorities.

Interestingly enough, I just got back from a three week motorcycle trip where I crossed the border no less than six times between the USA and Canada. Only once did I get rousted crossing into Montana at a small border stop from Saskatchewan. US authorities tore my motorcycle apart literally and even confiscated my lunch (an apple). In all cases, Canadian authorities were very friendly to me - a returning citizen - but I can't say it will necessarily always be that way with US citizens coming in.

One thing to remember, leave your handguns at home. You cannot bring one in - period ! Take it from me, it's difficult enough to own one legally in this country. Get caught "packing" and you may well become an unwilling guest of the Canadian government for quite some time

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I worked in Mexico and lived in Arizona for several years. It was the luck of the draw coming and going. Sometimes they'd wave us through and other times they'd take us aside and go over every inch of the car. Crossing the border could take 5 minutes or two hours. And that was before all the terrorist stuff.

Bob

Reply to
Roberto

Something "alerted" the guys at the border... It's often the "luck of the draw". An individual with a criminal record takes the chance that they won't go with the check, but if they do, they have every right to refuse entry. I'm pretty sure RLB can't come to Canada either. I'm sure he doesn't have any problems with customs in Brazil though... He just has to remember to pack a load of good quality condoms to use as "bargaining chips"... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

frank this is your bahamian buddy :-)

anyway, we have alot of experience with what it takes coming to the US .... and it can be really fun sometimes :-)

To get into the US from here generally requires a visa, which requires locally a police record, and to get a visa can take a whole day or 2. Police records can take days also. Anyway its alot of fun, but either way we need a passport.

Frank Ols> >I have a friend who just went from Houston to Detroit on her way to visit

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.