Can the crooks open my car doors?

Last week, somebody got into my car and took two cameras and a fishing reel. Needless to say, that happens every day and of course, I'm not happy about it.

But, the strange thing is.....that the stuff was stolen in fifteen minutes in the middle of the day......after ( I think ) I locked my car doors. I have an '05 Expedition and, by habit, I hit the LOCK button as I get out. Now, of course, I could have forgotten to do that...but..do the crooks now have a way to pop my door open with a electronic sending unit ( like mine) and not damage anything??

There was NO visible damage anywhere and I'm really puzzled as to how they got in.

Just trying to figure it out. If they DO have remote sending units to open things...what is my next step to secure my car or anything else? The car has the "standard" Ford security on it, that is all. thanks very much, RichG

Reply to
RichG
Loading thread data ...

Nobody can say for sure of course, but it's far more likely you simply forgot to lock the door than it is that someone got around the locking mechanism in some way (especially if there was no visible, physical damage).

In our area and city, 10% of home burlaries take place through unlocked doors, believe it or not. People forget the very basic things such as locking the door, and leave themselves open to "attack". Just my take on it, but I would write it off as a lesson learned ....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, > Last week, somebody got into my car and took two cameras and a fishing reel.

Reply to
tourman

I wouldn't think that a couple of cameras and a fishing reel would warrant the time and investment and brainpower needed to circumvent your locks electronically. I could be wrong, but I'd guess you forgot to lock the doors.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Well... If I forgot to lock my doors ( it could have happened ..)...I actually feel better.... than having to worry that the crooks have a "auto-remote" or some-such.

If that was the case...then I wouldn't be able to leave ANYTHING in my car. I'd hate to drag my heavy old golf clubs in and out three or four times a week.

I'll chalk it up to old age and stupidity...., and I'll feel "normal" once again..thanks all... Rich

Reply to
RichG

The other replies are right on. That being said its not impossible to do, but it is impossible for somebody so stupid as to need to engage in petty theft to survive to do something that innovative to do so.

In one region where I install alarm systems the number one method of home burglary is throuhg an OPEN garage door. Not even just unlocked, but standing open.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I understand you can open any car door with a thing called a "Slim Jim". Most tow truck drivers carry one (the bastards).

Reply to
FIRETEK

Some cars can not be opened easily with a slim jim, but there are other methods for those.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Ferds" and "GM's" are easy. The Jugo's are tough. :)

Reply to
FIRETEK

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.