CAN BUS in security ?

I wondering is there any panel that use CAN BUS for system bus ? Obviously there are reasons that interface (CAN BUS) to not used in security equipments ... Does anybody know why ?

Reply to
kormesii
Loading thread data ...

Panels must be able to pass UL listing if there being used for certain jobs and it is expensive to get this listing. panel manufacturers are reluctant to add new technology because of the cost.involved unless it is really going to do something fantastic.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Yes expencies are good reason. BUT actually it's not so much... However, most of Panels use the old good RS485 interface for system bus. The problem is it's not intended for multi-master transfers. I.e. the protocol must be MASTER->SLAVE... However as far as I know Paradox do it. How ? I don't exactly... :( I think it's some kind of Time-Division scheme. But the real problem occurs in big systems where many devices must report/communicated each other, for example one IP (LAN and/or GSM communicators), and also audio and video verification methods... in network with let say 8 KBD devices... So, here RS485 is quite useless... In such situation in my opinion multi-master protocols going to suite better, while RS485 will make many problems and finally makes limited functionality. So that's why I ask for CAN bus... However because I'm very interesting in that problem any advice or know-how of existing panels will be very helpfull for me... Thanks in advance !

Reply to
kormesii

The nature of the security business is to be secretive. So I don't think your going to find much information about the internal workings of security systems.

Then keep in mind some security systems are also used for health care or medical alert situations. And the CAN BUS was designed for the automotive arena. Would this be fault tolerant enough for a situation where someone's life depended on it working?

How about aircraft networks? What bus do they use? (Can't have planes crashing because the network failed!)

This is discussed at the following link... Reliability and stability survey on CAN-based avionics network for small aircraft...

formatting link

Reply to
Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.