Can a Napco system & DSL connection co-exist?

Hi,

I am looking at having a DSL line installed at my house that would be using the same telephone line as my Napco Magnum 1000. The Napco currently does nightly self-tests which "seizes" the phone line in the house when it is performing these tests. My concern with the DSL line is that the DSL link will be dropped every night as well when the Napco does its self tests.

My question is the following. If I split the phone line at the demarkation point where one branch goes only to my DSL modem and the other branch goes through a DSL filter and then to the Napco and the rest of the house, will the Napco still be able to make its nightly self-tests where it seizes the phone line, but doesn't drop my DSL connection?

ie:

Demarkation pt ==============[ Splitter ] phone line |=====[DSL Modem] | |=====[ DSL Filter ] ------- [Napco Magnum 1000] ----------[ rest of house ]

A friend of mine currently has a DSL connection on a regular line (no Napco), and sometimes uses a 56k modem on his computer to dial up to other servers. If a 56K Modem is able to dial up over the DSL line, does this imply that the Napco should be able to as well? I am assuming that Magnum

1000 just uses a regular modem to communicate with the centrale - is this a valid assumption?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

Reply to
news.vif.com
Loading thread data ...

the alarm companies have a dsl filter thingy that plugs between your RJ31X jack and alarm system [that is the jack that the alarm system plugs into] that will keep that from happening. You can also purchase these online.

Reply to
grabbitt

That will work perfectly. The DSL modem will not affect the Napco panel as long as you have it filtered, either at the demarc or via a plug-in filter for the RJ31X.

By splitting the line so that only the DSL modem is on the dedicated run you will eliminate lost DSL signal during the Napco self-test transmission.

Note: Many DSL modems come with a port to plug in a standard telephone. The port is filtered so that you can use a phone or fax there without needing a separate outlet. This extra port should not be used in your configuration. Doing so will allow an inadvertent off-hook to completely block the Napco system from calling out.

As long as the line is filtered before going into the Napco panel it will transmit. If it's not filtered transmission will be intermittent at best. By using a split filter at the demarc with all analog instruments on the seized side of the Napco panel you are providing yourself with the best arrangement.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Wrong advice. The gentleman is trying to make sure his DSL doesn't go down during Napco's transmission. The plug-in DSL filter will not work for him.

I sell them online but this gentleman doesn't need one. He's better off using the split filter arrangement.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Just to state the obvious,

In this setup the panel will not seize the line, thus if the phone line is busy, the panel cannot dial out in an emergency/break in, etc.

Jewellfish

news.vif.com wrote:

Reply to
jewellfish

demarkation

Yes.

No. He needs to filter the line going to the alarm panel to keep the DSL out, if you want consistent reliability. js

Reply to
alarman

your age is really starting to show in your posts these last few years. Or is it just that you haven't actually done any low voltage work in many years. Or is it that you just are a bullsh---er at heart. Or are you just trying to sound like you are important, or are you just trying to disrupt the GROUP? Here is cut and paste from Excelsus Technologies website, makers of the device I recommended.

Z-A431PJ31X-A Alarm Panel DSL Filter (RJ31X)

Description Designed specifically for homes with alarm systems, the Z-A431PJ31X-A alarm filter keeps DSL service, home phoneline networking (HPN) and alarm systems functioning as they should. The alarm filter blocks DSL and HPN signals from interfering with the alarm system's voice-band modem. At the same time, it isolates DSL and HPN equipment from alarm equipment impedances. With this two-way protection, the alarm filter keeps the alarm system operating reliably around the clock and ensures fast, uninterrupted DSL and HPN access even while the alarm system is dialing.

Notice how it states that the DSL stays up while alarm system communicates. Now what was that you said about "wrong advice"? Did you mean your advice was wrong?

Reply to
grabbitt

some panels don't need a filter.

| > I am looking at having a DSL line installed at my house that would be | using | > the same telephone line as my Napco Magnum 1000. The Napco currently does | > nightly self-tests which "seizes" the phone line in the house when it is | > performing these tests. My concern with the DSL line is that the DSL link | > will be dropped every night as well when the Napco does its self tests. | >

| > My question is the following. If I split the phone line at the | demarkation | > point where one branch goes only to my DSL modem and the other branch goes | > through a DSL filter and then to the Napco and the rest of the house, will | > the Napco still be able to make its nightly self-tests where it seizes the | > phone line, but doesn't drop my DSL connection? | | Yes. | | > Demarkation pt | > ==============[ Splitter ] | > phone line |=====[DSL Modem] | > | | > |=====[ DSL Filter ] ------- | [Napco | > Magnum 1000] ----------[ rest of house ] | >

| >

| > A friend of mine currently has a DSL connection on a regular line (no | > Napco), and sometimes uses a 56k modem on his computer to dial up to other | > servers. If a 56K Modem is able to dial up over the DSL line, does this | > imply that the Napco should be able to as well? I am assuming that Magnum | > 1000 just uses a regular modem to communicate with the centrale - is this | a | > valid assumption? | | No. He needs to filter the line going to the alarm panel to keep the DSL | out, if you want consistent reliability. | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

No you did the wrong advice...the dsl signal will be feed to the rest of the lines even if the alarm panel is calling the central if he use a good dsl filter for rj31x..the split filter thing is a nono if you are a pro...

and we all know that you had a lot of vaporyears in the trade,thats why you give advice as good as this..

you can read a bit about it here..

formatting link
Now let see how big Ass will go out of this one...

Reply to
petem

May be. I don't know which ones will work consistently without one though, so I always use one. js

Reply to
alarman

I deal with them all, I've not yet heard of one that always works

Reply to
Mark Leuck

bAss thinks line seizure is a new dance craze at the epileptic colony.

petem wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided Tape

I had great difficulty to understand the meaning of your sentence cause of there's 2 words side by side and it doesn't sound right... the 2 word in question are : "bAss thinks " for me,this doesn't compute..cant be...Bass cant think,he can react,tell story,lies,but thinks..Naaaaa

you know that you should reread your post sometimes,other folks here could have the same problem as me..;-)

"Mr.Double-sided Tape" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... bAss thinks line seizure is a new dance craze at the epileptic colony.

petem wrote:

Reply to
petem

de

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided Tape

Crash, I'd suggest that you don't assume that to be true.

Actually it's a case of sometimes it'll work. Sometimes it'll even work a number of times. But sometimes it wont. Don't take the chance.

Reply to
Jim

I've read up on the different filters for the rj31x, and while they seem to provide a valid solution, can you please explain you "the split filter thing is a nono if you are a pro"? Assuming the unfiltered split is solely for a DSL modem, and nothign else, is there a reason why that config shouldn't work?

Or is it more of a "dummy-proofing" the home, where you want to ensure that every outlet in the house is seizable by the Alarm Panel. It is apparent that if you disconnect the DSL modem, and plug a regular phone into that unfiltered jack, that the Alarm Panel will not be able to seize the line if that phone is offhook. But assuming that the only thing that ever goes on that line is only the DSL modem, I don't see why the soln would not work.

Thanks for the info!

Eric

Reply to
Eric B.

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided Tape

That is incorrect. The panel will seize the line from all phones. Only the DSL modem is not couched, but it will not interfere with the panel since it is filtered.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No, there is not a reason. I have DSL in my home. The line is split filtered at the demarc, just like the OP's diagram. It works perfectly. The alarm calls the CS for a nightly test and does not affect the DSL service. The DSL functions 24/7 and has no affect on the alarm.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

no need to rewire the house. just get a DSL filter from your alarm company or online. [you're missing out on a sale Mr Bass]

Reply to
Spike2

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.