camera motion detection ...... optical -vs- infrared

I've got a small security setup that looks for motion detection by comparing frames of the picture image. Anything sets it off -- shadows from clouds, moving bushes, etc. If I turn the sensitivity down, the system does not reliably detect people or cars. So ...... I've got tons of video to wade thru and relatively few captures.

I thought if I could use infrared to trigger the cameras, I'd get much fewer false recordings. Unfortunately, PIRs do not have the range and sensitivity I need. I don't mind buying new cameras (6) and software within reason.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
John Moore
Loading thread data ...

Your viewing to wide an area with the cameras and need to exclude areas where it is not required to be reviewed.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Your viewing to wide an area with the cameras and need to exclude areas where it is not required to be reviewed.

I agree with Nick, but you are still going to have similar issues when you are trying to use motion detection in a outside environment. There are just too many variables that will cause a trip on video motion. If you search Google for "RedWall Motion Detectors"

They are not cheap but they will work. That is if placement is possible and the range is what you need.

Good Luck,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Those sensors look excellent and are very do-able. What would be the best PC-based software and cams to work with these detectors?

Reply to
John Moore

Most will have the ability to do what you are looking for. It is not just the software. You need to find a video board that will meet your needs and there should be an associated trigger board that will interface with it for the input. They may also have associated programmable output as well. Then the board will have available software that will interface with the video board and I/O board to give the ability to see the input of a motion detector and start recording on one or more cameras. Then the PC processor needs to be fast as well as good quality video card, and a good monitor, with a large HDD, expect to use WinXP Pro 32 bit or Win7 32 bit. You are going to be building a system or find someone that will build it for you to meet your specifications.

For what it worth it would be a lot easier with a embedded free standing DVR since it is all in one box.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I have already built a fairly strong pc. It's the basis for my current system. I would prefer to use it because of the investment.

Most of the dvr imput boards I have looked at don't have trigger or alarm inputs that would be necessary for this PIR. Do you know of a good input card?

Reply to
John Moore

A good video card will have an associated input or alarm board that will work with it. Do a search for Hikvision.

I would suggest a dedicated PC for your project. Trying to do what you want on a shared PC is only asking for a lot headaches and problems.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.