Boom truck

Anyone ever buy a boom truck for CCTV servicing? Got one the other day for a little over $20K. 1 Ton Ford Diesel '05 with 76K miles. Lots of sites will be far easier to service with this rig. Ladders? Who needs stinking ladders?

Reply to
Just Looking
Loading thread data ...

Just remember to keep the hydraulics serviced and that your properly covered with insurance when your using a bucket truck also be aware of OSHA harness requirements etc or you will find out like one of the electrical contractors I know about the money pit a bucket truck can become.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Anytime you use your truck, add on the what it would cost you to rent a piece of equipment to the price of the job.

I have two scissor lifts, and I always add day rental or week rental to the price of jobs where I use them. I also remove the keys when I leave the site. If you just tell customers you have a lift they then think they are going to get its benefit for free. It takes time to load, service, and transport equipment.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I knew about the training cert for OSHA for booms and scissor lifts and such but not about the harness. Thanks for the advice. Sometimes I get stuck working with this one G.C. that really pissed in some OSHA guy's Post Toasties, and now OSHA does an anal exam on every sub on his jobs.

Just remember to keep the hydraulics serviced and that your properly covered with insurance when your using a bucket truck also be aware of OSHA harness requirements etc or you will find out like one of the electrical contractors I know about the money pit a bucket truck can become.

Reply to
Just Looking

Adding the cost of a boom truck would be an easy thing to overlook since there isn't an offsetting line expense for the rental. It seems in this industry that scissor lifts get rented a lot, boom lifts less often and boom trucks rarely. Time to modify the proposal estimates to be sure not to overlook that line item. Thanks. This unit is a good puller so hooking it up to a trailer full of gear to haul to a job site is something it would be good at too, so in a sense you get more benefit by charging the customer for what you'd normally provide a part of without a direct charge to the customer. Do you find having your own scissor lifts more of a benefit than renting them? The "deals" I find on scissor lifts listed for sale are ones usually too beat up to be worth much as scrap, let alone a serviceable unit. Getting a new scissor lift seems like too big a bite with an uncertain pay off. When it comes to spending money, cheap is my first, middle, and last name. How did you get your scissor lifts if you don't mind me asking? Did you buy new ones? Which brand do you like best? This truck was a fluke spelled DIVORCE for some poor guy selling the rig. He was from an entirely different industry however.

Reply to
Just Looking

I bought one used from a rental outfit that was retiring it. It works fine. All I have done was put in new batteries after a couple years. The other one was a kind of trade deal. I trade for half ownership, and it get stored at my place. Then when the guy retired he traded me for the other half ownership. It works great. Looks rough but works perfectly fine.

To be honest the types of jobs I was doing when I acquired the first one, I have not done much of since. I have used them on jobs sites only a handful of times. They were handy to have when I needed them, but except for the convenience there is no benefit to owning my own. It would have been cheaper to just keep renting them when I have needed them. I do use the smaller one in my shop regularly though. I have a 16' ceiling and several sets of framed shelves that go up to 10 feet with stuff on top. Equipment I haven't used or sold in a while goes up top.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Pack rat!!!!!

Reply to
Jim

AH-YUP!

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.