Bluetooth thingy

I know I could never find one that would allow me to hear the person calling me.

If your hearing is as bad as mine, bluetooth headsets for the cell phone were the white whale of telephony. I loved the concept - I can keep working with both hands, climbing the ladders, squirming through the attic and still not miss that 'important' call from the boss wanting to know what the hold up was (you know, besides his 47 calls).

As part of our Christmas, the wife and I went down to the Verizon store and re-did our deal to get some different phones.

She HAD to have an iPhone (5C) and I got a Droid Mini. Which means I FINALLY have a phone that fits in a pouch. My old Revolution with its protective case was a monster. The mini fits even with its Otter Box on.

But I digress... SO I saw these headphones that looked intriguing, tried 'em out and bought 'em. Been loving them ever since. For the first time I'm using my phone as a music player and I can do a hands free call while actually hearing what the other person is saying.

It may have more to do with the phone and the three year gap in technology, but with the revolution voice calls were more or less just spinning the contacts wheel - but now I can make 'em first time, every time (even working 95% with text and notepad) through this device. Answering calls is super easy.

In case you are missing it - I endorse these. They are light enough I don't even know I'm wearing them. The only frustration I have so far is that when wearing a jacket the ear bud (I usually only have one in on the work site or driving) I'm not using gets knocked out of its magnetic cradle and I just know I'm gonna end up ripping it out.

formatting link

Reply to
JoeRaisin
Loading thread data ...

I have a couple of old Motorola ones that suck. I never gave another brand a chance.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I am just curious..., since they are stereo, if you just have one ear bud in, do you just hear 1/2 (or one side) of the stereo signal? I assume that there is no way to set them for "mono" where each ear bud produces the same sound with no stereo, right?

Reply to
TomR

Not as far as I know - and yeah, music that takes advantage of left/right outputs leaves me missing the right side. I am finding, however, that the ear buds don't drown out too much background yet still give the buds a fighting chance to be heard - so having both in isn't too bad. Assuming I keep the volume reasonable, I'll still hear someone yelling, "Hey! That wall is about to fall on you!"

I'll still generally stick to one, though. Makes me feel safer and it doesn't affect too many songs - so far, I've only notice it on 'Frankenstein'.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I gave several brands a chance in the past and they all sucked. Haven't even experimented in a couple years. The Tones are a whole other world.

Much of the new tech is impressing me. On my previous phone the speech recognition was dismal. On this new one - I just did a service call and dictated a job note of over 100 words and only had to make two corrections. That was in my truck with the heater blowing and the radio low, but still audible (parked btw).

Took half the time it would have taken me to fat-thumb my way through the virtual keypad.

If you like the idea of stringing cable or wiring a panel while talking on the phone (some days my phone never stops) or listening to some classic rock and not worried you will miss an important call or text (even if the buds aren't in you get a vibration when there's a call or text) then see if you can try them out in the store - that's how they hooked me.

This is also the first time I've used my phone to play music - looks like around 6-8 hrs of play time is about norm. A place to plug in a charger is never too hard to find and as long as I'm within 30ft or so it's still like it's in my pouch, and I don't have to run to it to answer a call.

But, I did find a downside during today's service call. I REALLY overestimated my affinity for Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell and Bat Out of Hell 2. I'm thinkin' that getting the entire albums was just a little overkill... Thank God for the "skip to the next song" button right there at my collar bone...

Sorry if I sound like I'm gushing - but I've always been something of a gadgeteer and the shit is finally doing what I expected it to do a decade ago - the wait is over!

Good God - I'm becoming Borg...

Join us...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Are these buds and the attached wrap-around-the-collar-thingies able to double as a hearing aid?

Reply to
chasbo

Nothing in the documentation about it, but I just had that conversation with a hearing aid wearing guy on another forum and he uses:

formatting link

which looks pretty cool.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Thanks for the responses. My wife is getting fed up with my "What did you say?" I can hear her, but because the eardrums don't vibrate as well when they were younger, high frequencies are inaudible unless I put my ear on some keypads. Keypads with adjustible tones I lower to a frequency I can hear when near the pad, but if I'm in another room, forget it! Cupping my ear(s) brings in more sound, making the vowels and consonants much clearer.

Reply to
chasbo

I hear you (pun intended)!

I've steered clear of hearing aids, mostly due to the high cost, and the fear of losing/damaging one or both. To me it seems that the hearing aid industry is ripping off the older folks; whether the criticism is justified, it's just how I feel. I'm familiar with amplifiers, printed circuits, chips, speakers, and all that stuff; as a teenager and into my 20's I bought, built, and operated sound equipment, etc. for recording, record hops, back in the mid 1950's. I know that the material cost of building small amplifiers today can be fairly inexpensive, so when I compare the cost of a small amplifier with the going rates for hearing aids, I question the honesty of the industry. I have never been able to reconcile the high cost for such a small device.

Reply to
chasbo

Knowing me, as I do, I would remember I had the hearing aids in the split second after I crossed the point of no return...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I'm of the same mind. There is no reason in this world that would make such a small, primitive device so expensive. Make one ..... you've made them al l. I'll hold out as long as I can. I just can't justify ..... first ... the cost .... then the fact that you're blocking out all of the sound you CAN hear ..... then ... I have tinnitus so the louder the sound gets the louder the ringing in my ears gets. And lastly .... how the hell can someone else adjust MY hearing aid to what suites me best? "How's that sound?" "No go od?" " OK... how's THAT sound?" "No good?" "OK ..... how about NOW" Gimmiy a friking break. How can someone tell what "I'M" hearing? I want to adjust my own .... but NOOOOoooo! if they allowed that, how would they ever make MORE money that the don't deserve....

I'm thinking two plastic cups hung on my ears at this point.

Reply to
Jim

Thank you for that revealing response. It will be helpful when and if I eventually persue the purchase of hearing aids, as you have given me an insight on the various hearing losses, allowing me to ask the right questions.

Reply to
chasbo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.