Best 9V for Smokes

A long time ago upon the advise of a couple ASA regulars I started using nothing but Coppertops for smoke detectors that use 9V batteries. Before that I tried cheap batteries, other brands, and even expensive lithiums. The Coppertops seem to have given me the least trouble over the years. The other day I was making my routine recommendation to a non-client and he jumped all over me that Consumer Reports says except for generic no-names they are all the same.

It wasn't the first thing he jumped on me about of course. As snowbird he had already pointed out to me how so many things were superior where he came from over Arizona. (I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling him to go back there then. I really hope he doesn't call me back to install his system.)

Anyway, its been a long time since I did a timed load test, but back then there was a definite difference in discharge curve between Energizers and Coppertops. The Energizers would maintain a higher voltage and then drop off suddenly. The Coppertops would maintain useable voltage levels for longer but more steadily decrease.

The summary I came to was that devices that can operate effectively on lower voltage levels would benefit from Coppertops (like incandescent bulb flashlights) where as devices that needed a more constant power supply (like charging the discharge caps on a photo flash quickly) would benefit from the use of Energizers.

All that being said, what do you guys use for 9V batteries in smokes? Why?

I don't actually run into it often except in a few wireless systems I have installed, but it does come up when I get the classic, "Your smoke detector is beeping," call from a client who doesn't understand that if there was a problem with an alarm smoke it would show up on the keypad too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

I used to use almost exclusively 9V Energizers (more for the old ITI Wireless transmitters than smokes, but I did notice one thing back then. The Energizers were longer than the Duracells making them tight to get into some smokes (that were originally supplied with Duracells and I guess designed just for them). I've been out of the business for several years and don't know if the sizes are still the same. I personally had a lot less problems out of Energizers and they did last longer for me.

Reply to
David 01

I use the Duracell copper tops and lately I've been using the "Ultra Advanced". I've not done any testing on them to see if the additional cost is worth it, but generally speaking, they "seem" to last longer. I get them at Costco. And I'm not too concerned about what I pay for them as I don't use that many of them anymore. I use the AA and AAA in remotes for Home Theater installs and in my own. They last for years. I also use the Duracell Copper top 123 3Volt lithium for my wireless transmitters which I get at distributors.

I don't know if you picked it up in an earlier post of mine but Yuasa is back in business and I've been using them again. For awhile I was using the Genisis version, the ADI (so called) equivalent to the Yuasa but which did not last as long as the original Yuasa's. ADI is now carrying both brands. We'll have to wait and see if the "new" Yuasa has the same quality and longevity as it used to.

Reply to
Jim

10yr Lithiums. Because I don't see the point in climbing a ladder 12 times every year, or dealing with the bvlasted low battery chirping at 2AM.
Reply to
Robert Neville

I used the ultralife batteries. On devices that were power hungry, I would add a 2nd battery in parallel if there was room.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Well considering the few battery manufacturers left in the world they may actually be the same.

Reply to
mleuck

Duracell 9 volt seems to last longer in meters and various testers I use rarely put a 9 volt in smoke any more use all modern wireless with 3 volt lithium which go 5-7 years.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I fitted 10 year lithiums in my parents' 2 smoke detectors, and they lasted 3-4 years. (I can't recall what make, and I've chucked them now.)

I've replaced them with SAFT lithiums which are roughly the size of a 9V battery and with same clip on the top, but you can see these are made from 3 lithium cells shrink-wrapped, so they're lumpy rather than perfectly rectangular.

I did smile at the warning on the side: "may explode in fire". I guess that's a handy backup if the smoke detector doesn't go off, providing they make a loud bang ;-) They are sold as smoke detector batteries. Not been in long enough to comment on their longevity.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.