Behavior of Disconnecting Keypad From Ademco 128BP Panel?

What is the expected behavior of any Ademco keypad if you put a relay on one wire of the connection between the keypad and a 128BP panel and leave the relay disconnected? Does the keypad simply go dead, or does it display an error? If the relay is connected, how long will it take the keypad to sync up and be ready for use? Is there any potential harm to the panel itself if this relay is in use a few times a day?

The idea we had was to install such a relay to the keypad and use our door access card system as a way to activate the keypad. The user comes in and presents his badge, which connects the relay and activates the keypad for maybe five minutes. The user then can use his access code to turn the alarm system off or on.

The reason we want something like this is that the access codes have a way of becoming known over time by too wide an audience of people. Having a way to secure the keypad with both a physical token, as well as a unique user code, makes it all the harder for someone to do something trivial like just steal a code they happen to see someone use on the panel.

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

I wasn't clear on the difference between the first two sentences. You are saying put the relay on the power wire, and if you remove power to the keypad you won't get a trouble condition on the panel?

Reply to
Will

if the panel loose a keypad it wil react with a trouble condition to the central

if you remove power to the keypad(red wire) it will not react anymore...

the keypad become active after power up in a few second max... and the trouble clear right away..

thats what i seen with any ademco/first alert panel that have keypad with adress on the bus

"Will" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Reply to
petem

I do not know, but here are some things rattling around the brain cavity.... I wonder, if he interrupted the green "Data In From Keypad" wire, what would that do? I've never tried anything like this so don't know, but would guess that then the K/P would still be powered and display stuff OK, just not send keypresses back to the control panel. Of course, if the panel firmware polls the keypads periodically and expects a response then this wouldn't work.

I'm not familiar with the 128BP so googled on it and read a sentence, "Zone 7 may be used for keyswitch arming and disarming." Maybe instead of hooking the relay up to one or more of the keypad wires you could hook it up to zone 7 and use the relay like a key switch.

Good luck, let us know how you end up solving it.

Reply to
autonut843

If you disconnect or interrupt the data yellow/green wires you'll get a error on all the other keypads.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I'm not exactly sure the 128 or any other high end Ademco panel really supervises the keypads, one of the big reasons why they enable keypads like they do is because of the slow keypad bus. ie: the more keypads enabled the slower the response is on each keypad.

At least that's the reasoning why they do it with the 15P/20P which are cut-down Vista-50P's, depending on the panel by default the first 2 or 3 keypads are enabled out of the box and don't affect the panel if just one is installed.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

While I haven't tested it my bet is you won't get a trouble

Reply to
Mark Leuck

"Mark Leuck" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Well the fa 148/168 come with only 1 keypad(16) enabled... the 128 if i am not crazy only 32 in enabled..

Reply to
petem

True but on the 148/168 or V15P/20P if you enable all keypads it slows down response time, if you disconnect a keypad it will not go into trouble unless it has an RF receiver built in and only then will show RF receiver trouble

The 128 has keypad address 00 and 01 enabled although I've seen some high end Ademco panels with the first 4 addresses enabled by default

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The Keypad will display Open Circuit Error while the databus is disrupted. Switching the power would likely appear to work better but I have no idea what the long term downside would be if you kept turning a keypad on and off like that.

Reply to
Joe

i dont work much with the 128,could be true..

i will have to check..

but i do remember that when i went to one customer were i hade to disconnect the keypad to plug in my 6160 to program some zones there was a trouble code sent to the central...

i remeber it cause i didnt put the panel in test..(too much question from the owner made me loose track if the system was in test or not..)

this was on a FA168

anyways...i am pretty sure that if its true that panel can be program to not send any code if it loose a KP

so the fact of having a relay cutting the red or power wire of the keypad will definitly power down the kp

"Mark Leuck" a écrit dans le message de news: Vb-dnTxx snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
petem

Sounds like you disconnected an RF keypad which would do that but the signal would have only been sent because the panel lost the RF receiver in the keypad not the keypad itself

No offense but unplugging one keypad to plug in a programmer is a dumb thing to do for that very reason

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Whats dumb is not going into programming and enabling another keypad location then connecting the programmer set to that address, thats what I do, usually address 23

Reply to
Mark Leuck

"Mark Leuck" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

there is no wireless in the place its all wired,we have 4 zone expender

we have to disconnect the keypad in place cause,its at address 16 and its the only keypad enabled in the panel.. and as you should know if 2 keypad are connected whit the same ecp address they will freeze...

what's dumb about that?

Reply to
petem

I leave a programming keypad pig-tail *in* the panel if the system does not have a programming keypad installed...all's i gotta do is jump up and grab it...I leave it long enough to reach me sitting on the floor...yah...me lazy...and I hate ladders.

| > i will have to check.. | >

| > but i do remember that when i went to one customer were i hade to | disconnect | > the keypad to plug in my 6160 to program some zones there was a trouble | code | > sent to the central... | | Sounds like you disconnected an RF keypad which would do that but the signal | would have only been sent because the panel lost the RF receiver in the | keypad not the keypad itself | | No offense but unplugging one keypad to plug in a programmer is a dumb thing | to do for that very reason | | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Whats that got to do with it?

Neither am I

Leaving one keypad location open doesn't slow it down, leaving 6 yes although how much I haven't found out yet, it's not a safety issue at all

You any relation to someone named Jake that was once here?

Thats Crash who said that not me

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I am not the one that decide how the panel will stay programmed...

I am not working for a mom and pop company...

one other thing leaving an unused keypad programmed in the panel can only slow the system and in the same it is a security issue..

if its possible for a cleaver man to hook up a keypad with out being detected to a system(like a clerk working in a part where there is no keypad and the bus pass true) and have access to try as many codes as they wish this can be a pretty big issue

about the piggy tail in the panel,that's nice, will tell the boss about it... I am sure he wont like it...cost,cost,cost...unconnecting a kp while I am charging the customer for it...doesn't cost anything to the company and is in fact bringing some doe in....

now..it true that we don't charge every service call..(service contract)but we do charge most of them

Now I didn't test it..but I think you are right...it wont make any code sent to the central... The code sent to the central must have been one of bus trouble to the expansion caused by one wire green or yellow that must have touch the black wire..and since I surely always put my system in test it never occurred to me that there was no code sent when I disconnect one kp

but that kind of a bad thing..even on my dsc power 832 both of my keypad are supervised,and when in trouble it is sent to the central, that way I have a wiring problem, I will be aware right away so I will not be stuck at fixing this when it will be time to leave later on...

Reply to
petem

Cost?? It's 3 feet of scrap quad!,,,that I just clip my 6138 onto...I put alligator clips on my 6138. Or just put long leads and alligator clips on the

6138 either way. MUCH easier than unhooking an installed keypad.

| > "Mark Leuck" a écrit dans le message de news: | > snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... | > >

| > >

| > >>

| > >> we have to disconnect the keypad in place cause,its at address 16 and | its | > >> the only keypad enabled in the panel.. | > >> and as you should know if 2 keypad are connected whit the same ecp | > >> address | > >> they will freeze... | > >>

| > >> what's dumb about that? | > >

| > > Whats dumb is not going into programming and enabling another keypad | > > location then connecting the programmer set to that address, thats what | I | > > do, usually address 23 | > >

| > I am not the one that decide how the panel will stay programmed... | | Whats that got to do with it? | | > I am not working for a mom and pop company... | | Neither am I | | > one other thing leaving an unused keypad programmed in the panel can only | > slow the system and in the same it is a security issue.. | | Leaving one keypad location open doesn't slow it down, leaving 6 yes | although how much I haven't found out yet, it's not a safety issue at all | | > if its possible for a cleaver man to hook up a keypad with out being | > detected to a system(like a clerk working in a part where there is no | keypad | > and the bus pass true) and have access to try as many codes as they wish | > this can be a pretty big issue | | You any relation to someone named Jake that was once here? | | > about the piggy tail in the panel,that's nice, will tell the boss about | > it... | > I am sure he wont like it...cost,cost,cost...unconnecting a kp while I am | > charging the customer for it...doesn't cost anything to the company and is | > in fact bringing some doe in.... | | Thats Crash who said that not me | | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

We do it in the other direction. Our programmers are always address 16 and the first keypad on the system starts at 17.

Reply to
Joe

That'll work too, my suggestion is 23 since with many installations using multiple keypads one may not know what addresses are being used but 23 is almost never used

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.