Bad port on DVR weird trouble shoot

CCTV system i put in couple years back has been working fine and customer called to say cameras pictures rolling all over them selves. Get there and looks like AC feeding into video find camera 3 causing problem so I isolate it and start testing and camera is not bad but here the port on DVR is bad. First time I have seen this usually the port just goes dead on a DVR not doing the rollover thing. its a EV4000 Nuvico and first time I have ever had a problem with any of there stuff in over 5 years of installing there cameras and DVR any one else run into it?

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

Nope. Are you sure its not a ground loop feedback?

Reply to
G. Morgan

No first thing I checked it is definitely the port doing it as soon as any cam gets plugged into port 3 the DVR starts waking out

Reply to
nick markowitz

weird, never seen that one. What did the factory say?

Reply to
G. Morgan

They send basically to send it in to them they have not seen it either.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I guess its out of warranty by now, I wonder what they will charge to replace/fix it. It may be cheaper to buy a new one.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Question, does that DVR have program set-ups for each camera? We've had that problem with another Chinese branded DVR, what I found was that the balance ckt for the input voltage had gone down the dumper.. But by adjusting the brightness and contrast of the problem camera we were able to bring the whole system back into working order.. Needless to say that port will have to be used for a pretty stable light source camera. other wise the whole problem will return as the light to the camera changes..

What caused the problem in the first place? We could only guess, but some other stuff in the business had also gone down the dumper about the same time, and those failures were directly linked to a line voltage pulse from the local supplier.. My guess would then be that an op amp in a chip which auto-balances the different inputs all to a 1 volt Peek to Peek match had gone down the dumper... Just my guess though.....

RTS

nick markowitz Wrote:

I guess its out of warranty by now, I wonder what they will charge to replace/fix it. It may be cheaper to buy a new one.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Reply to
Just Looking

He only has 3 cameras so I moved the camera to the unused port to solve the problem. for now like I told him by time he is ready to add a camera it will be time to get a new DVR the way prices are coming down in cost. I had surge protection and UPS on DVR and had a ditek surge protector on the inputs to ports plus common power supply etc to prevent problems as there on top of a hill But they had a lightning strike nearby that effected neighbors so was that cause? who knows. strange it would only bother one port.

I had a problem at a mini storage facility where couple cameras where always going out but solved it with isolation transformers after we realized the power source for the cameras was coming from a separate derived power source after we traced and found it was coming from a separate power line to property. Owner did not realize utility was feeding his property that way. as he only got on unified bill.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Nick, we got a similar problem at a city pool complex..

DVR and 3 cameras are on one power source (220v 2 phase) and 9 other cameras are on another power source (440v 3 phase, Delta wired transformers)

it seems after each little power surge they loose several cameras or DVR ports.. ( go figure , LOL) I've told the Boss repeatedly to pick one power source and tie everything together off it..

But after 4 years, nothings been changed.. and after 6 to 10 cameras each year being replaced..

Go figure, some people..... RTS

He only has 3 cameras so I moved the camera to the unused port to solve the problem. for now like I told him by time he is ready to add a camera it will be time to get a new DVR the way prices are coming down in cost. I had surge protection and UPS on DVR and had a ditek surge protector on the inputs to ports plus common power supply etc to prevent problems as there on top of a hill But they had a lightning strike nearby that effected neighbors so was that cause? who knows. strange it would only bother one port.

I had a problem at a mini storage facility where couple cameras where always going out but solved it with isolation transformers after we realized the power source for the cameras was coming from a separate derived power source after we traced and found it was coming from a separate power line to property. Owner did not realize utility was feeding his property that way. as he only got on unified bill.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

Thats where I learned the value of Isolation transformers working at the Radio station seeing how effective they where at isolating noise and surges etc.. There not cheap but there worth every dollar you put into them when dealing with multiple power sources. In early years of cameras the only way you got them to work properly was all on same phase but as they improved it was not the big deal it once was but then you deal with the problems of surges and lightning and circulating neutral currents.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.