Audio Detector?

My home has 3 "audio detectors" built into the walls. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, but I'm trying to find out what these things do. They look similar to wired glass breaks, but they appear to be much more sensitive to glass breaks, but they don't necessarily trigger using a glass break tester. Yet, they do seem to be responsive to relatively high levels of indoor noise, such as the television, vacuum cleaner, etc.

I'm considering these to be "interior follower" zones on my new Ademco

15P panel. Can anyone give me a quick explanation of these detectors and what they really should do?

Thanks,

Rob Houston

Reply to
rahouston
Loading thread data ...

They probably are glassbreak detectors - but hard to tell without seeing them.

Interior followers?...that means when you're home at night with the alarm armed in Stay they will NOT be armed...is that what you want? Personally, I put gbs on Perimeter zones.

Many glassbreak detectors require a tester designed specifically for that glassbreak. Some even have to be put into "test mode" and then tested with the proper gb tester.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Crash:

Thanks for the response! I'll pop the covers off to check out the manufacturer later today and to see what these are about. You're right-----if they are truly glass breaks, then yes, I want them in a perimeter zone. I've been assuming they are something else, though, because they seem unusually responsive to interior noise sources.

Reply to
rahouston

But are they actually tripping - or just displaying that they are hearing some 'type' of noise?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Sound like old Ultrasonics..... if so, you're asking for a steady stream of false alarms. Upgrade to good quality PIR's, Dual-techs, etc.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.