Anyone work with foam systems

Have a petro customer where i just changed out a releasing panel for there foam system which protects the gasoline loading rack. They said they are having an extremely hard time getting techs to service there national foam system any one familar with what it takes to fully inspect and cerify them.

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

Yup.

Reply to
Frank Olson

To expand a bit upon Frank's post, manufacturer's training helps but certainly isn't mandatory. Inspection usually involves disconnecting the squib or solenoid valve and ensuring all the initiating devices annunciate at the panel, the programmed release sequence is initiated, and the panel provides the proper output to discharge the system and shut down required devices. It's also a good idea to test the "cancel discharge" functions which will only work if an automatic intiating device (heat, smoke, or flame detector) is activated. The "manual discharge" will do exactly that, usually with no chance for user intervention once activated (although I have seen it done in one large hangar, but that one was "weird"). On the mechanical side, you have to weigh the cylinders, check pressures, nozzles, etc. One more thing. Before you initiate any testing, make sure to move valuable equipment away from the area. It's not a good idea to flood someone's nice expensive Learjet with foam (although I hear it cleans up all bright and shiny). :-)

Reply to
FIRETEK

You ever see those pix of the foam "test" at a hanger? Extremely funny. I think someone posted a link to it here about a year ago.

| > >

| >

| >

| > Yup. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Frank sent it to me. It's the reason why you shouldn't even "go there" unless you've got damn good liability coverage and the place is EMPTY.

Reply to
FIRETEK

I think you're referring to this. It's been all over the Internet for a good while.

formatting link
It was at Ellsworth AFB and (apparently) it was earlier this year. Olson had nothing to do with the foam test although I wouldn't be surprised if he later claims to have been there.

Here's another guy's take on it:

Sunday, April 16, 2006 PARANOIA in the real world: Foam hangar You may have seen (via Boing Boing and elsewhere) this photo series of flame-retardant foam filling an airplane hangar at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota.

Last August the Air Force installed "a modern high-expansion foam system" in a hangar for B-1 bombers. The civilian contractor, with military approval, tested the system. "Required coverage occurred within one minute of the system being activated," says an Air Force press release. "The test was so successful, the foam reached the observation platform where officials were documenting the procedure. The Air Force required a minimum of one meter of foam to be achieved in four minutes or less. For testing purposes, the foam was allowed to disperse for the full four minutes."

And then

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I think you're referring to this. It's been all over the Internet for a good while.

formatting link
It was at Ellsworth AFB and (apparently) it was earlier this year. Olson had nothing to do with the foam test although I wouldn't be surprised if he later claims to have been there.

Here's another guy's take on it:

Sunday, April 16, 2006 PARANOIA in the real world: Foam hangar You may have seen (via Boing Boing and elsewhere) this photo series of flame-retardant foam filling an airplane hangar at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota.

Last August the Air Force installed "a modern high-expansion foam system" in a hangar for B-1 bombers. The civilian contractor, with military approval, tested the system. "Required coverage occurred within one minute of the system being activated," says an Air Force press release. "The test was so successful, the foam reached the observation platform where officials were documenting the procedure. The Air Force required a minimum of one meter of foam to be achieved in four minutes or less. For testing purposes, the foam was allowed to disperse for the full four minutes."

And then

Reply to
nick markowitz

As I understand it the foam release in the military hangar was planned. I think the only cost was cleanup. The stuff is non-corrosive but there are probably EPA regulations concerning its disposal. I haven't heard details about the Alleghany County Airport event.

You might want to contact some of the agent releasing system manufacturers and/or vendors. Simplex does a lot of these systems. Here's their info:

Simplex

100 Simplex Dr. Westminster, MA 01441 Phone: 978-731-2500 Fax: 978-731-7856
formatting link

Ampacet makes flame retardant foam. Here's contact info for their rep:

Joe Serbaroli Ampacet

660 White Plains Rd. Tarrytown, NY 10591 Tel: (914) 332-7329 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@ampacet.com
formatting link

Siemans is another player:

Julie Bannon Siemens Building Technologies Inc.

8 Fernwood Road Florham Park, NJ 07932 Phone: 973-593-2600 FAX: 973-593-6670
formatting link

A few more:

Greenheck Fan Corp. Schofield, WI 54476 0410

Firetrace International Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Fike Corp

formatting link
Ansul (probably the best known name in fire suppression)
formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.