Anyone know how to protect a utility trailer in the homeowners yard?

Anyone know how to protect a utility trailer in the homeowners yard? He parks it beside the road. He has an Ademco panel with wireless capability. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
brewington75
Loading thread data ...

Magnetic pull apart. You can get them any length from GRI.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The pull apart is fine. Program the transmitter as unsupervised. If the trailer is all metal, you will need to mount the transmitter in a weather proof box. You can tamper the box on a separate loop.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335 813-440-6653 Fax AOL: rojas813 MSN: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Yahoo: jimrojas ICQ: 20116219 GoogleTalk: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Heck I was thinking put the transmitter under the eve of the house. Leave it supervised and set it up so if he forgets ands and pulls the trailer out the pull apart will disengage and set off his alarm. Get a second socket to plug it into when the trailer is not there.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That's fine if you put the trailer in the same exact spot everytime.

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335 813-440-6653 Fax AOL: rojas813 MSN: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Yahoo: jimrojas ICQ: 20116219 GoogleTalk: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Reply to
Jim Rojas

Give or take a few feet. Like I said GRI will make those pull a parts any length you want.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

You didn't say if you wanted to protect what was in the trailer or just detect if it was moved.

Here's something that's a little elaborate but it would make it easy to use if you just want to detect if the trailer was moved.

Set up a photo electric eye outside. Park the trailer between the transmitter and receiver. Program the panel with an open circuit auto bypass zone. When the trailer is there and you arm the system, it will detect if it's moved. If you arm the system and the trailer isn't there, the system will auto bypass the zone. If the panel is partitionable, you may want to put the trailer zone on it's own partition. If the panel has an auto rearm feature you could probably use that too. The down side is that you have to run wires out to the PE's. Depends on how much the trailer is worth to determine how much you want to put into protecting it.

If you want to protect the contents of the trailer ...... that's a whole different big can of worms.

Reply to
Jim

Honeywell is soon to release an outdoor wireless 5816 sensor, be perfect for his system.

Reply to
mleuck

You didn't say if you wanted to protect what was in the trailer or just detect if it was moved.

Here's something that's a little elaborate but it would make it easy to use if you just want to detect if the trailer was moved.

Set up a photo electric eye outside. Park the trailer between the transmitter and receiver. Program the panel with an open circuit auto bypass zone. When the trailer is there and you arm the system, it will detect if it's moved. If you arm the system and the trailer isn't there, the system will auto bypass the zone. If the panel is partitionable, you may want to put the trailer zone on it's own partition. If the panel has an auto rearm feature you could probably use that too. The down side is that you have to run wires out to the PE's. Depends on how much the trailer is worth to determine how much you want to put into protecting it.

If you want to protect the contents of the trailer ...... that's a whole different big can of worms.

We make our own pull cords using a weather proof 4" grey electrical box from Home Depot and 1 short orange exstintion cord and 1 50' orange exstintion cord.

We drill 2 holes in the bottom of the 4" electrical box and place the mail side of the cord through one hole and the female side of the cord on the other. We leave about 1 foot of cord on the outside of the box. On the inside, we crimp a strain relive clamp on the cord so it can not be pulled out of the box. Then we strip with wire back exsposing the black, white and green wires. This is done on each side. We pick the color we want to use (it changes each time we make these) and cut the unused colors. If we choose green, then 1 green wires goes to one of the terminals on the wireless transmitters, and the other green wire goes to the other terminal on the wireless transmitter. Then we put the cover on the transmitter and close the box. I also put a tamper switch inside the box by taking glue and putting a magnet on the box cover and the switch on the box inside wall.

Now we usually mount the box wherever the customer needs the protection and they can use a long power cord to weave through the equipment stored out side and then they plug both ends to the electrical cords comming out of the

4'' grey box. We have been doing this for years with no problems. I have this setup at my house which protects my 4 wheelers and go karts located in my shed...

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Stanley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.