Anyone have a manual for a Dictograph 55-sm security system? (2023 Update)

I have a Dictograph 55 sm security system in our home which with some changes has worked well for over twenty five years. I now want to change it so I can turn it on and off with my smart cell phone (that's no problem). But I need a Manual to make other changes and the step down transformer no longer charges new 6 volt rechargeable batteries. Please let me know if you have said manual...Thanks

Reply to
Couj
Loading thread data ...

I suggest that you go on line and buy a new alarm control panel/system or hire someone to install a new system for you.

In the meantime, to make the best use of the Dictograph panel, I recommend that you remove it from the wall and place it on a shelf over your front door with a string attached between it and to your door knob.

Jeeeesh!

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

I am totally impressed. You have managed to say it nicer than I would or could have imagined.

Good job on self control and containment. :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

DAMN!

I must be mellowing!

RLB would never recognize me.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Totally LOL

Thanks!!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

his system requires NO monitoring solution, and no monthly fee. FIND ME A NEW SYSTEM with no monthly fees.

helpful would have been answering his question, not "SHOWING RESTRAINT" (implied that he is stupid) because he does not want to pony up for a new system. neither of your answers were answers in the LEAST.

try selling systems elsewhere

Reply to
petey

"K" !

Reply to
Bob La Londe

. . Actually, in the 50 years I've been in this trade I've never sold an alarm system to anyone I haven't spoken to face to face and in the 26 years I've participated in this forum, I have never tried to sell anyone a system, Although I must say that I am just guessing, but if you think long and hard enough about it, you might have the intuition to know that I have no idea where this gentleman is located. So exactly how could I "sell" him a system? How do I know what kind of house he has? How many doors and windows? How many keypads? What kind of security is he looking for? Burg? Fire? Panic? How many people will be using the system? etc, etc etc.? If you think about your snide remark, taking all that and more into consideration, "Try selling a system elsewhere" kind of doesn't make sense now, Does it? . Secondly, anyone who is considering utilizing a 40 to 50 year old alarm system to protect his home, possessions, and conceivably, his and his family's life, is not anyone who I would want to assist, advise or probably in real life, even want to talk to, considering the possible dire consequences to him and the litigious ramification for me, should what I tell him to do, be the cause of his antique system not functioning when called upon. Considering what the purpose of an alarm system is, what it is protecting, the value of property and life, do you really want to use 50 year old electronic device that can crap out any second when, for a couple of hundred dollars you can have a reliable system? Why don't you do a Google search and look up the life expectancy of electrolytic capacitors? See what you come up with. Take a check and see how often open relay contacts need to be burnished to remain reliable. What is the life expectancy of a discreet component bridge rectifier for a 6 or 12 volt DC power supply? . And thirdly, (again,) I'm guessing, from your comment " FIND ME A NEW SYSTEM with no monthly fees" that you have no idea how alarm systems work and didn't spend enough time researching and figuring it out. I could be wrong, but personally, I know of no alarm system that cannot be used as a local system only - - WITH NO MONTHLY FEES" ! Most are available on line, very simple to install and have a multitude of modern day features. AND - - - - he would be putting his time to better use than to be wasting it searching the Internet for ancient installation instructions that he will likely not find. And if he DOES find them how long will it be until the system dies - - - anyway? Technical help, forums and documentation is readily available for all of the most popular new systems. . Lastly, I think that the few here who actually know about alarm systems would not disagree that my suggestion of putting the old klinker over the door is still his most reliable long term option. In my opinion, at least he'll know that it will work when called upon.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Jim,

That is a lot of very astute typing that you have done!! Excellent thoughts and suggestions!! I am sorry to inform you that the original posting was about 5 years ago or maybe more.

Look here:

formatting link
The one sad thing about the technology of today is that OLD STUFF just won't go away!!

Have a good rest of your week!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Holy Chit ! I never even looked. Crap. I just pulled a "Joe Biden" !

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

The feeling is mutual!! Hope you have a better day.............. soon!! :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.