Any knowledge / insight / info on DMP panels?

Hi,

I had a dealer come by the house today and try to extoll the virtues of a DMP system. I'll be honest; I've never heard of DMP before. I've heard and worked with Napco, DSC and even Paradox, but DMP is a new one to me. So I tried to do a little research, but I find information for DMP is not necessarily easy to find from anywhere other than DMP itself.

Is there a reason for this? Is DMP considered a "good" alarm to have? If ever I decide to switch monitoring companies, is DMP commonly supported, or might it be difficult for me to find? The dealer told me that they have an exclusivity to distribute DMP in the local market. Additionally, searching for parts and/or components online yielded very few hits; I can't seem to find anybody selling DMP parts. Is this not a popular system, or is this simply not as much of a DIY-style panel?

Thanks for any info!

Eric

Reply to
Eric B.
Loading thread data ...

Knowing that, do you really need more information about DMP?

Reply to
alarman

Well, that was the first "alarm" that went off in my head (sorry for the pun). However, that being said, the information that he gave me about the product sounded extremely enticing. For instance, the system is completely firmware upgradeable remotely, comes with dialer, IP and cellular all built into the panel, all DMP parts are backwards compatible with any previous systems, etc. Of course, like I said, I was somewhat concerned with the little I have been able to find out about them.

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric B.

I believe that it is good equipment, and there are a couple of guys on this board (Crash Gordon and Bob LaLonde) that know a lot about it. If you feel good about the dealer, and he has a good reputation, then you should be ok. But, you'll likely be locked in to that dealer, and all his warts. You will have no choices if the service stinks, or if the rates go up.

Reply to
alarman

I'm curious, what is his asking price for the install & equipment??? Also, is he a Smith & Wesson Dealer???

Reply to
Russell Brill

Of course, those are some of my primary concerns. Although the dealer is reputable, if I don't like the service on day, or his rates become too exorbitant, or he goes belly up, or he chooses one day to back a different panel instead of DMP, then I don't want to be left hanging. I know with a DSC panel, for instance, I can find parts just about anywhere except the local 7/11. DMP, on the otherhand, seems like a different beast; I don't know if I am searching in the wrong places, or if parts are not just as commonplace. And if my dealer starts to charge a premium for parts, will I be sunk, forced to buy parts and service from him?

Again, if I use the DSC example, I can pick up parts from anywhere and add them to the system myself (have done if for several DSC panels in the past). But although I can find all the necessary docs for DSC, I can't seem to find parts for it anywhere....

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric B.

Interesting you should mention Radionics during a DMP post.

I heard from a Honeywell Rep during a class on the Alarmnet IGSM (of course I have no way to verify this) that DMP is a bunch of former Radionics Engineers who got fed up and left.

If its true and if they engineered DMP like Radionics then I wouldn't think its too DIY friendly.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

=EF=BF=BDI've heard and

o have? =EF=BF=BDIf

Speaking of DIY friendly, .................. I never thought that Radionics was even dealer OR end user friendly. Exactly how many "command numbers" did they think people could memorize?

Reply to
Jim

That sounds like someone is pulling your leg. Napco is sold through distribution channels rather than dealer direct. That means that any dealer in the country can order Napco from any distributor in the country. Napco is even sold by hundreds of online dealers (including my company). I can't believe the company had supply problems ordering Napco.

DSC is among the least expensive on the market. If you're getting high price quotes for DSC, get more quotes.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Assuming that you meant that you couldn't find DMP parts anywhere, I believe that you have to be a dealer to obtain them.

Reply to
alarman

"Eric B." wrote in news:71955$48f8977e$4c0aace4$ snipped-for-privacy@TEKSAVVY.COM:

From what i have seen of the DMP panels they are good panels and have some features that others should be incorporating. that being said, they do wire differently. they have more zones at the keypad than most panels, so if you switched later it could involve some creative solutions.

Reply to
motley me

It's excellent stuff and still made in 'Merica. I've been selling it since the early 90's.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Please don't compare DSC to DMP.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

They can wire differently, but not necessarily so - you don't have to run zones to keypads you can bring them home...but boy is it handy on a retro-fit to have 4 zones at a keypad.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That's sorta true. In the early days they were going merge and were very close to doing so, then Radx I believe stole some of the ideas and went in another direction.

The products are VERY similar EXCEPT for programming...the Radx programming became incredibly stupid complicated and the DMP got simple complicated (if there is such a thing). I can program a DMP panel without any reference material from the keypad in 10 minutes for a complicated XR-100...that would never happen with Radx 7000 and up panels. Radionics programming got ridiculous and it's why I finally dropped the line.

Neither are diy'er stuff.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I have about 50 or so DMP panels in the field from an alarm company I bought out a few years ago. They are decent. I have had one problem which tech support did not help me with that was recurring with multiple panels. I found the solution myself. DMP is a proprietary distribution format. You are unlikely to be able to buy any of the modules, panels, keypads, etc that is architecture dependent from anybody, but the dealer who sells it to you. If you aren't planning to DIY and the the dealer who installs it is decent that should not be an issue.

However, if a few years down the road you decide you don't like the current dealer it may be a little difficult to take your business elsewhere. Even if they unlock the panel and give you the dealer program code there won't be many if any the other dealers in your area with good knowledge of the panels. who can service and program it easily.

I like the panels I have in the field, although my product knowledge is about 6-7 years out of date with DMP. I strongly dislike the company that makes them. I have had some pretty onerous experiences with them and have gone out my way to tell the general alarm industry public here about it. DMP has never made right on their mistakes with me. They have never denied them either even when I stated them as fact not opinion here and in other public forums.

Anway, the product is ok. The company not so much, and as with any totally proprietary distributed product you have to weigh those limitations.

Bob La Londe Owner - President The Security Consultant PO Box 5720 Yuma, Az 85365

Licensed Residential and Commercial ROC103044 & ROC103047

Reply to
Bob La Londe

If they are so easy to program, would that not make it perfect for DIY'er stuff?

Thanks,

Eric

Reply to
Eric B.

Of course I haven't programed every type panel out there, but I've gotta say .... if all the feed back I've gotten through the years is correct ..... if you can program a Napco panel from the keypad, you can program anything.

Reply to
Jim

Napco does the same thing with zones at the keypad, but I always home run the kepads with a multiconductor cable and zone it at the panel. Even EZM modules. The only time I'll remote the zones is in a good size commercial job.

Reply to
Jim

Except when there weren't any in the area! And those outside the area didn't want to make the trip.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.