Another inept Bush pal leaves FEMA

but the poor get welfare and food stamps right?

Reply to
cctvbahamas
Loading thread data ...

It's not a complaint. It's called reality. I hope to retire to the far east end of St. Croix some day. That'll be third world enough for me. I've been to the Bahamas, other than a nice view, I couldn't imagine taking up residency.

Reply to
Jackcsg

how could it cost more than what the environmental clean up is gonna be? bury it. build a new port. move everyone inland, move the historical buildings bulldoze the rest an use it for landfill for the port.

or you could donate it to al queda for their new onshore training grounds.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'll take a concrete tilt up on St. Thomas.

| | It's not a complaint. It's called reality. I hope to retire to the far east | end of St. Croix some day. That'll be third world enough for me. I've been | to the Bahamas, other than a nice view, I couldn't imagine taking up | residency. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

and a lot more. we end up paying for their medical care too.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

aid is the problem, most don't need it, they need jobs.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Venice is lasting longer.

Still doesn't justify just building bigger levees and still have the threat. To me it just seems so dumb...sooner or later engineering will fail, it wont be maintained and it will just happen again.

The suitcases are already packed!

| > I went there once and won't ever go back. I hated it. Reminded me of a | > carnival...not the fun kind..the kind with sleazy toothless ride operators | > that pick your pocket while you're trying to have fun. We took a carriage | > ride and got kidnapped to a time-share hotel tour. I had to threathen the | > "guide" to let us leave. I told him I'd throw him out the window if they | > didn't show us the way out of the building. | >

| > Aside from the human tragedies here, IMO that town needs a good flushing. | > How stupid will it be to rebuild a city below sea level. Built a new | seaport | > and move the town to higher ground...that's my opinion. | | It wasn't below sea level when originally built, it's been slowly sinking | for the past few hundred years like Venice | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

------------------------------------------- Would you prefer that we simply let the poor die of treatable and oft-times preventable illnesses without medical help?

Reply to
cctvbahamas

And a bazillion other programs, instead of helping it ends up hurting the poor by taking away any ambition of a better life. They become slaves to the government and must rely on the aid.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

And yet somehow the government keeps spending more and more, as usual you are full of shit

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The Republican party has consistently sought to degrade or eliminate all forms of federal aid to the poor. This is one of the reasons why I believe they are trying to turn the US into a

3rd world state -- knowingly or through sheer stupidity.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

That wouldn't be over by the golf course by the "Contessa's" Castle, where all those tourists were machine-gunned ...... would it?

You'd be better off right below the hills of the rain forrest. But you'd better have a nice strong fence around your villa. As nice a place St Croix is to vist, ya still gotta watch your back.

Freeport is getting VERY Americanized. But not a place to go if you're trying to get away from that. You'd be better off on an island like Eleuthera. Not as expensive. Want a nice quiet place to vist sometime? Try Spanish Wells. Nice beaches. Nice people.

Well, it USED to be quiet. Haven't been there in quite a few years.

Reply to
Jim

Freeport isnt much of anything any more, after last years hurricanes, alot of people moved here to nassau, the Tourism industry there pretty much got wiped out (for now). It wasnt doing to good to start with, lots of people in Nassau moved here from there over the past couple years to find work, which is also limited here in Nassau, but not as bad as Freeport. Personally I prefer Freeport, much cleaner island, like you said, americanised to some degree, as it was created and developed by an american financier, back in the 50's when Grand Bahama was just another out island.

Spanish Wells?? He H e he .. sure you dont mean Harbour Island? Yep, Eluthera, Exuma, Cat Island .. all beautiful beaches.

Try Long Island also, way in the South of the Bahamas, world renowned Blue Hole, amazing beaches, bonefishing, and much more, real island living ... plus the extra tan from being on the tropic.

Either way, stay away from nassau if you want to experience the real Bahamas.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Actually Freeport is the cheapest place in the bahamas, duty free. Nassau is expensive, but the outislands are even more expensive. Ofcourse if you visit a large Resort in Freeport or Nassau they will charge much more than the local stores, I cant remember the last time ive been to one of the hotels here . .. everything is way too expensive ...

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Naw, make a sport fishing paradise out of it. Here's what I'd like to see:

formatting link
js

Reply to
alarman

Some do.... for now. Please understand I'm not trying to denigrate anything you've said -- only pointing out that this country is heading backward under the "care and guidance" of these idiots.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I guess you can look at it that way however New Orleans has avoided damage like this for a couple of centuries now. You can also make that same point about living in Florida where everyone knows will be hit by hurricanes, San Francisco for being located on a major fault line etc... They made the choice to live there and should (in theory) know the dangers.

Last week I was driving home through central Illinois and passed through New Madrid which is also situated on an even larger fault line than San Fran, should everyone in that area move out even though it hasn't had an earthquake in centuries? (btw everyone is predicting a major one will happen one of these days in that area)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

How so? js

Reply to
alarman

EEwwwwwwe! Although St Thomas isn't at the "bottom" of my list of least favorite places to go...... it is on the list. I was there about 5 6 years ago, visiting friends who were there doing some volunteer work for the hospitals. We just stayed with them a few days before chartering a yacht out of Charlotte Amalie to sail the BVI.

One day, we'd been jogging on the beach. We went back to the villa ( which, thankfully was half way up the side of a hill from the beach) and while sitting at the pool, overlooking the bay, just before sunset, we hear what sounds like an automatic weapon being fired. Sure enough, a few minutes later, down on the beach, where we were running, one car is chasing another car driving along the beach and they're actually SHOOTING at one another just like in the movies! Next day, not a word about it on the news or in the papers. We could only figure it had something to do with drugs.

Other reasons I don't much care for St Thomas, is too many cruise ships and also the Rosti's. The Rosti's just don't do the tourist trade any good and they're still in the process of ruining St John too. If you're sailing the area, it's ok to visit, but to go to live there, you'd better pick a secure spot and that means "oddles" of money. The BVI (British Virgin Islands) are pretty good. There are some really nice quite areas, but it's all pretty isolated unless you live in or around Road Town on Tortola. More "poorer" areas than St Thomas though. Cane Garden Bay has been really growing in the last five years or so. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a very popular place. Some really beautiful white sand and coconut palm tree beaches. And they have a Rum factory there too!!!!!!! Take a look as some of the website of these places. You'll see what I mean. Yost Van Dyke is a nice but farily undeveloped island. If you had the money and wanted to get away from it all, that'd REALLY be the place. White Bay has just about the whitest sand I've ever seen.

This portion of the Travelog is complete. Press F4 to continue.

Reply to
Jim

Welp I must confess I haven't sailed those waters in many years...sounds like it's changed a bit. Maybe I'll just stay on the boat. There used to be a tiny island kinda near Megan's bay with a bar on it...just a bar and an amazing beach.

"Jim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | | Crash Gordon wrote: | > I'll take a concrete tilt up on St. Thomas. | >

| >

| >

| | EEwwwwwwe! Although St Thomas isn't at the "bottom" of my list of least | favorite places to go...... it is on the list. I was there about 5 6 | years ago, visiting friends who were there doing some volunteer work | for the hospitals. We just stayed with them a few days before | chartering a yacht out of Charlotte Amalie to sail the BVI. | | One day, we'd been jogging on the beach. We went back to the villa ( | which, thankfully was half way up the side of a hill from the beach) | and while sitting at the pool, overlooking the bay, just before sunset, | we hear what sounds like an automatic weapon being fired. Sure enough, | a few minutes later, down on the beach, where we were running, one car | is chasing another car driving along the beach and they're actually | SHOOTING at one another just like in the movies! Next day, not a word | about it on the news or in the papers. We could only figure it had | something to do with drugs. | | Other reasons I don't much care for St Thomas, is too many cruise | ships and also the Rosti's. The Rosti's just don't do the tourist trade | any good and they're still in the process of ruining St John too. If | you're sailing the area, it's ok to visit, but to go to live there, | you'd better pick a secure spot and that means "oddles" of money. The | BVI (British Virgin Islands) are pretty good. There are some really | nice quite areas, but it's all pretty isolated unless you live in or | around Road Town on Tortola. More "poorer" areas than St Thomas though. | Cane Garden Bay has been really growing in the last five years or so. I | wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a very popular place. Some really | beautiful white sand and coconut palm tree beaches. And they have a Rum | factory there too!!!!!!! Take a look as some of the website of these | places. You'll see what I mean. Yost Van Dyke is a nice but farily | undeveloped island. If you had the money and wanted to get away from it | all, that'd REALLY be the place. White Bay has just about the whitest | sand I've ever seen. | | This portion of the Travelog is complete. Press F4 to continue. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.