alarm receiver emulators

one:

formatting link
>

Fine, I sense this is more personal than proprietary.

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

Could be, you never know

Reply to
mleuck

one:

formatting link
>

Petty...

You probably don't even have what I'm looking for anyway.

Reply to
G. Morgan

As far as I can remember, Asterisk can only talk Contact ID and unless you are familiar with script writing in Linux, it's going to be s steep learning curve.

Easier to just buy a used receiver.

Reply to
Hakma

And you need to install a FXO card in your Asterisk server in order for it to receive analog call.

Reply to
Hakma

That's what I was afraid of. Going through the documentation, I'm not so sure Asterisk is going to be a viable solution. Thanks.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I see that! In fact they sell training workshops just for this beast.

If it only receivers CID that isn't too big a deal, I'm not trying for a full blown CS.

Maybe so! That doesn't jive with the application I have in mind though.

Reply to
G. Morgan

True although hard to find and usually expensive

Ebay shows a couple of old Radionics receivers but I doubt they support anything more than Modem or BFSK format.

Reply to
mleuck

Here is the hardware solution, not cheap, but sure beats pulling your hair out trying to get Asterisk working.

formatting link
formatting link
$300.00

True although hard to find and usually expensive

Ebay shows a couple of old Radionics receivers but I doubt they support anything more than Modem or BFSK format.

Reply to
Hakma

Thanks, but I don't think that product will work.

What about if the incoming call to Asterisk was from a SIP phone? Could it answer it then without an analog input board?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes, you can setup a SIP trunk on Asterisk and have your alarm panel call from a landline.

There is a way to get a free SIP trunk and it's a two step process.

1. Setup an account with
    formatting link
    and get a free Washington number.

1. Setup an account with
    formatting link
    and creat a SIP accoount.

2. Forward your ipkall.com number to voxalot.com account.

1. Setup voxalot account as a trunk on Asterisk.

2. Program your alarm panel to call the Washington number, and voila ... Asterisk answer the call.

The problem is, we all know that alarm signals don't play well with VOIP, so you may or may not get a successfull communication between the two.

Reply to
Hakma

Awesome, that's good information to hear. I have a couple of SIP's already. One from sipgate.com and one from tropo.com, I have a third from Twilio.com but they don't pass out the SIP credentials.

This is not a mission critical app, it's mostly going to be a relay to SMS.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Now it sounds like you wanted the equivalent of a alarm receiver + CMS software. + (may be) GSM gateway and aren't all these already existed in your friendly monitoring station ?

Reply to
Hakma

No, this is for a stand-alone system. If it works well enough I may try some experimentation with a monitored panel of my own and set the Asterisk system as a 2nd phone number with dual-reporting enabled.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Do you know if

formatting link
a GUI for Asterisk, supports the alarm receiver script?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I don't believe any GUI can deal with script, if what you are asking is plugging the script from the GUI and it works. All the fancy GUIs for Asterisk are designed to perform telephony function, but you probably can get behind the GUI and install any application/script as long as you know Linux/Asterisk, which defeats the purpose of installing the GUI in the first place. I have played with Trixbox

formatting link
a few years back and all it did was allow you to setup extension, trunks, auto attendant, voice mail etc. etc, you know, the pbx stuff.

Reply to
Hakma

Thanks very much for your expertise. You popped out of nowhere! Welcome.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You are most welcome, I been around on and off in the last 15 years using different name.

Reply to
Hakma

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.