ADT Security system

Have an ADT Security system model 236i2. Not being monitored any more. Need programming info to turn off the comments fail.

Reply to
David T
Loading thread data ...

You will now suffer the consequences of getting a cheap or free system.

You have to have the dealer programming code to get into programming and fer sure ..... ADT ain't gonna give it to you.

Guess they jus forgot to tell you that ..... huh?

I get one of you as a new customer at least once a month .... sometimes mor e often. You have been duped just like thousands of others into believing t hat you can get something for nothing. To ADT you are nothing but a source of monthly income for a set period of time. The system is paid for within t he first few months and the rest is the "GOTTCHA" that you pay is for nothi ng. They're in the recurring revenue business, not security. With all the m oney that you paid to them over the term of the contract .... you could hav e bought a system two to three times as good and with better and more perso nal service.

Your choice now it to go back with them, turn off the system or get a good local alarm company to install a decent system who will treat you with resp ect and as more than just a source of revenue.

Sorry.

Reply to
Jim

Jim,

Very well said. However I doubt the OP will totally understand.

About 5 years ago I was once asked by ADT if I would be interested in providing sub work for them in servicing their customers.

I said; "You want me to provide my excellent service to make ADT look good?? Are you nuts??"

To which the rep said; "Well after the 1st year, we don't want to service them any more, so we look to outside resources. Also there is a lot of money to made doing this for us."

I laughed and told him to "Have a nice day."

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

more often. You have been duped just like thousands of others into believi ng that you can get something for nothing. To ADT you are nothing but a sou rce of monthly income for a set period of time. The system is paid for with in the first few months and the rest is the "GOTTCHA" that you pay is for n othing. They're in the recurring revenue business, not security. With all t he money that you paid to them over the term of the contract .... you could have bought a system two to three times as good and with better and more p ersonal service.

ood local alarm company to install a decent system who will treat you with respect and as more than just a source of revenue.

I had an ADT installer once tell me that it didn't make any difference if h e didn't check the signal strength of wireless door and window transmitters when he was installing a system so he could save time. Besides, if it didn 't work after awhile ..... someone else would be the one's to have to have to fix it on a service call.

Yep, and if it happened after the warrantee period, I'll bet the customer h ad to pay for a service call too.

However, it's not entirely a bad thing. I do pretty good on the business I get from the duped customers of the "FREE" installation companies, once the y have learned their lesson. It's a good way for legitimate alarm companies to gain loyal customers who have seen the bad side of a cheap system and b ad service.

Reply to
Jim

I started out in the business working for ADT. I trained for 2 days instead of 2 weeks, mostly because I came from a construction background among other things, and did not need for anyone to tell me how to physically install the system. It was a no-brainer for me. I was given programming for the DSC systems. After 1 week of installations, I was made installation manager because I had backgrounds of management.This was an independant dealer that I worked for.

Even though ADT is run by the sales department as a whole, I ran the location and made the Sales manager abide by my directions. I simply told him that the customers were not buying his salesmanship, they were buying a security system. And I made sure that they were installed very well. I detest having to go back on anything.

ADT is not a security company, they are simply a Monitoring Revenue Company. I find that the security companies who do a great job, are usually smaller with someone at the top that insists on top notch work. As soon as companies get large, it becomes extremely harder to ensure quality work.

After all, a security company is only as good as its worst installer...and if they do not perform precautionary job quality inspections from time to time, they have no idea how bad 'that installer' is.

ADT just got purchased by Apollo, one of the world's largest private equity groups. They only manage about $170 billion at this time! They are also the ones who just purchased Protection 1 and ASG last year. They will be combining ADT and Protection 1. Unless someone at the top of the new company decides to actually be a security company, all those customers who did not think thru their purchase and fell for the stupid commercials or telco calls, will always be there by the millions as potential customer takeovers waiting to be picked from the fire. After their initial 3-year contract is over, most want to leave ADT really bad anyway.

Reply to
E DAWSON

The company that REALLY grabs me by the short hairs is Vivint. And I do bel ieve they were able to get away with what they did is because of the preced ents that were set by Protection 1 Brinks and ADT. They just put a little t wist to it and played a game of brinksmanship, seeing how close they could come to practicing illegal and unethical sales tactics before they were ser iously prosecuted. They did a fabulous job of publicizing how they would pa y back the people who were the most outspoken complainers and ignoring all those they had scammed who weren't so adamant

Vivint started out as APX and then Apex with the Mormon sales kids being tr ansported to various parts of the country doing door knocking. That was all well and good except it gradually turned into them lying to end users, and stealing accounts from area alarm companies. End users were put in the pos ition of having signed two monitoring contracts. Accounts were switched wit hout the end users even realizing they had been scammed. They were told tha t their alarm company was out of business and they were the new alarm compa ny or they would see the name of the end users alarm company on the lawn si gn, and say they were from that alarm company just there to upgrade the ala rm system. That went on for a few years. To me, it was simply an insidious ingenious plan to gain hundreds of thousands of accounts any way they could and just before it became to huge a problem to handle they apologized, pai d some fines, ( one of them $6,000,000.00) began donating money to various charities, cuddled up to the good-ol-boys at the then NBFAA, changed their corporate name and were bought a couple of times to avoid their terrible re putation, all the while riding the wave of recurring revenue. And now they' re one of the biggest in the industry.

What a disgusting legacy, yet now ..... all the trade papers and magazines laud them for how progressive and successful and great a company they are. Totally ignoring that they got where they are through deceit unethical sel ling practices and lying through their teeth. However it is a perfect examp le of what can be accomplished if you can walk the thin line between crimin ality and legality. Every time I see their advertising or news articles abo ut them I get this feeling like you would get if you had to use a porta po tty that hadn't been cleaned out for 6 months. Slimey!!!!!

Below are just a few of the hundreds of scams they got caught at and no one knows how many they didn't.. There are numerous complaints on line about A PX, Apex and Vivint. It's just a continuous story of breaking the law just long enough just before or until they get caught. In the meantime they've a ccumulated thousands of accounts. ========================= ========================= ============ In 2009, the company paid the state of Arkansas $65,850 to settle allegatio ns of improper licensing of employees, including alarm installers. The comp any paid an additional $125,000 to the state over alleged violations of sta te law in 2010. In 2010, Vivint settled with the state of Oregon for $60,000 over alleged a ggressive sales tactics used by its agents. The company also agreed to chan ge some of its sales tactics. In 2011, Vivint settled with Contra Costa County, California for $425,000 i n a neither admit nor deny pleading, and agreed to conform its contracts to California law and refrain from certain sales practices. In 2012, Vivint settled with the Wisconsin Attorney General's office in an agreement to refund up to $148,000 to consumers who were misled about their ability to cancel and about false alarm charges. Vivint also canceled $450 ,000 in consumer debt. In 2013, the company settled for $55,000 with the Kansas Attorney General, which accused sales agents of using deceptive practices while going door-to

-door offering to install or replace home security systems. The agents also allegedly failed to advise the consumers of their rights under the Kansas Consumer Protection Act and did not disclose all costs associated with swit ching alarm system providers. The Ohio Attorney General settled with Vivint in 2013 following complaints alleging deceptive sales practices and the company's refusal to honor cance llation notices. Vivint agreed to comply with Ohio consumer laws and paid $

50,000 in fines. Also in 2013, Vivint agreed to an assurance of voluntary c ompliance in Nebraska. The company promised not to make any misrepresentati ons while engaging in sales. The company also donated $50,000 to two charit ies in Lancaster County, Nebraska As of 2014, two federal class-action lawsuits were filed against Vivint for alleged violations of the TCPA. In June 2014, Vivint agreed to a proposed settlement in Benzion which included a $6 million settlement fund.
Reply to
Jim

elieve they were able to get away with what they did is because of the prec edents that were set by Protection 1 Brinks and ADT. They just put a little twist to it and played a game of brinksmanship, seeing how close they coul d come to practicing illegal and unethical sales tactics before they were s eriously prosecuted. They did a fabulous job of publicizing how they would pay back the people who were the most outspoken complainers and ignoring al l those they had scammed who weren't so adamant

transported to various parts of the country doing door knocking. That was a ll well and good except it gradually turned into them lying to end users, a nd stealing accounts from area alarm companies. End users were put in the p osition of having signed two monitoring contracts. Accounts were switched w ithout the end users even realizing they had been scammed. They were told t hat their alarm company was out of business and they were the new alarm com pany or they would see the name of the end users alarm company on the lawn sign, and say they were from that alarm company just there to upgrade the a larm system. That went on for a few years. To me, it was simply an insidiou s ingenious plan to gain hundreds of thousands of accounts any way they cou ld and just before it became to huge a problem to handle they apologized, p aid some fines, ( one of them $6,000,000.00) began donating money to variou s charities, cuddled up to the good-ol-boys at the then NBFAA, changed thei r corporate name and were bought a couple of times to avoid their terrible reputation, all the while riding the wave of recurring revenue. And now the y're one of the biggest in the industry.

es laud them for how progressive and successful and great a company they ar e. Totally ignoring that they got where they are through deceit unethical s elling practices and lying through their teeth. However it is a perfect exa mple of what can be accomplished if you can walk the thin line between crim inality and legality. Every time I see their advertising or news articles a bout them I get this feeling like you would get if you had to use a porta potty that hadn't been cleaned out for 6 months. Slimey!!!!!

ne knows how many they didn't.. There are numerous complaints on line about APX, Apex and Vivint. It's just a continuous story of breaking the law jus t long enough just before or until they get caught. In the meantime they've accumulated thousands of accounts.

========================= =============

ions of improper licensing of employees, including alarm installers. The co mpany paid an additional $125,000 to the state over alleged violations of s tate law in 2010.

aggressive sales tactics used by its agents. The company also agreed to ch ange some of its sales tactics.

in a neither admit nor deny pleading, and agreed to conform its contracts to California law and refrain from certain sales practices.

n agreement to refund up to $148,000 to consumers who were misled about the ir ability to cancel and about false alarm charges. Vivint also canceled $4

50,000 in consumer debt.

, which accused sales agents of using deceptive practices while going door- to-door offering to install or replace home security systems. The agents al so allegedly failed to advise the consumers of their rights under the Kansa s Consumer Protection Act and did not disclose all costs associated with sw itching alarm system providers.

s alleging deceptive sales practices and the company's refusal to honor can cellation notices. Vivint agreed to comply with Ohio consumer laws and paid $50,000 in fines. Also in 2013, Vivint agreed to an assurance of voluntary compliance in Nebraska. The company promised not to make any misrepresenta tions while engaging in sales. The company also donated $50,000 to two char ities in Lancaster County, Nebraska

or alleged violations of the TCPA. In June 2014, Vivint agreed to a propose d settlement in Benzion which included a

As someone who once did inspections of about 100 Vivint accounts I agree wi th you 100% on this

Reply to
mleuck

The company that REALLY grabs me by the short hairs is Vivint. And I do believe they were able to get away with what they did is because of the precedents that were set by Protection 1 Brinks and ADT. They just put a little twist to it and played a game of brinksmanship, seeing how close they could come to practicing illegal and unethical sales tactics before they were seriously prosecuted. They did a fabulous job of publicizing how they would pay back the people who were the most outspoken complainers and ignoring all those they had scammed who weren't so adamant

Vivint started out as APX and then Apex with the Mormon sales kids being transported to various parts of the country doing door knocking. That was all well and good except it gradually turned into them lying to end users, and stealing accounts from area alarm companies. End users were put in the position of having signed two monitoring contracts. Accounts were switched without the end users even realizing they had been scammed. They were told that their alarm company was out of business and they were the new alarm company or they would see the name of the end users alarm company on the lawn sign, and say they were from that alarm company just there to upgrade the alarm system. That went on for a few years. To me, it was simply an insidious ingenious plan to gain hundreds of thousands of accounts any way they could and just before it became to huge a problem to handle they apologized, paid some fines, ( one of them $6,000,000.00) began donating money to various charities, cuddled up to the good-ol-boys at the then NBFAA, changed their corporate name and were bought a couple of times to avoid their terrible reputation, all the while riding the wave of recurring revenue. And now they're one of the biggest in the industry.

What a disgusting legacy, yet now ..... all the trade papers and magazines laud them for how progressive and successful and great a company they are. Totally ignoring that they got where they are through deceit unethical selling practices and lying through their teeth. However it is a perfect example of what can be accomplished if you can walk the thin line between criminality and legality. Every time I see their advertising or news articles about them I get this feeling like you would get if you had to use a porta potty that hadn't been cleaned out for 6 months. Slimey!!!!!

Below are just a few of the hundreds of scams they got caught at and no one knows how many they didn't.. There are numerous complaints on line about APX, Apex and Vivint. It's just a continuous story of breaking the law just long enough just before or until they get caught. In the meantime they've accumulated thousands of accounts. ============================================================== In 2009, the company paid the state of Arkansas $65,850 to settle allegations of improper licensing of employees, including alarm installers. The company paid an additional $125,000 to the state over alleged violations of state law in 2010. In 2010, Vivint settled with the state of Oregon for $60,000 over alleged aggressive sales tactics used by its agents. The company also agreed to change some of its sales tactics. In 2011, Vivint settled with Contra Costa County, California for $425,000 in a neither admit nor deny pleading, and agreed to conform its contracts to California law and refrain from certain sales practices. In 2012, Vivint settled with the Wisconsin Attorney General's office in an agreement to refund up to $148,000 to consumers who were misled about their ability to cancel and about false alarm charges. Vivint also canceled $450,000 in consumer debt. In 2013, the company settled for $55,000 with the Kansas Attorney General, which accused sales agents of using deceptive practices while going door-to-door offering to install or replace home security systems. The agents also allegedly failed to advise the consumers of their rights under the Kansas Consumer Protection Act and did not disclose all costs associated with switching alarm system providers. The Ohio Attorney General settled with Vivint in 2013 following complaints alleging deceptive sales practices and the company's refusal to honor cancellation notices. Vivint agreed to comply with Ohio consumer laws and paid $50,000 in fines. Also in 2013, Vivint agreed to an assurance of voluntary compliance in Nebraska. The company promised not to make any misrepresentations while engaging in sales. The company also donated $50,000 to two charities in Lancaster County, Nebraska As of 2014, two federal class-action lawsuits were filed against Vivint for alleged violations of the TCPA. In June 2014, Vivint agreed to a proposed settlement in Benzion which included a $6 million settlement fund.

Those who have money, have power...and very few use it for good. The authorities are either unwilling or unable to truly put a stop to the abuse.

Just wait until the trillionaires all decide to run for President, or Prime Minister, or King...yes, if you truly are ultimately rich, you could find a way to buy a Kingship too!

Reply to
E DAWSON

Well, I'm not a trillionaire but I'm King in my house.

My wife said it was alright.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.