ADT Dealer being scum again

formatting link
I have lost all respect for ADT when they do not reign in these scummy sales people and dealers

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

I am with you Nick,

About 2 years ago I received 3 calls in one night on my business line. The person on the other end identified herself as Mary from something security (don't remember the name) and bluntly asked if I had a security system in my home.

I said: Why would I answer such a stupid question??

She said: Well if you have one we have a special deal for you. And if you don't we have another special deal.

I said: Take me off your list and don't call me again!!!

The second call: I went ballistic!!!

The third call: My BP went thru the roof!!

IDIOTS!!!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

formatting link
>

I get the occasional cold call from someone trying to sell me alarms. I just start asking questions about capabilities and features that get increasingly technical until I reach the point they don't know the answer (or rather, they don't have that info on the sheet in front of them).

Then I tell them to call back when know something about the product they are selling.

If I am ever contracted by a company whose salesman knows as much about alarm systems as I do - well, I don't know if I'll buy one, but I'll probably apply for a job...

Not that I know 'everything' - not even close. But I know enough and if a salesman knew that much I would at least get install plans that make sense.

Actually that would be a fun twist on these calls. Ask if they are hiring and as he's trying to sell me an alarm, I'll try to sell him my resume and see how long he can tolerate two separate conversations.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Joe,

Are you still stuck in the mind set that you have to work for someone else? At first I thought that was a typo, I thought you meant to say "I'd hire that salesman on the spot".

Remind me again which State you're in??

Reply to
G. Morgan

LOL - hey, I have to know my limitations.

My attempt at working for myself was a miserable failure.

I put in decent systems, I take care and pride when running my wires and I test as thoroughly as I can. My work product is my best effort. But as for GETTING that work... I doubt I could sell a dollar cheeseburger to a starving millionaire.

Perhaps I gave up on it too easily but with a mortgage and everything else I can't afford too many failed attempts. I only had the one IRA to cash in.

In addition to other places, I contacted every alarm company and IT outfit in this and all surrounding counties as well as as many electrical companies. Emails, phone calls, mailings and physical visits resulted in zilch. In fact, the few jobs I did get in that time had nothing to do with any of that, just word of mouth - hell, the business cards were a waste of money for all that they got me. And don't get me started on the tax side of it.

Frankly, it was hell and I have utmost respect for those of you who can make it work. I don't do well under that sort of stress.

I like where I am now. The owner is a decent guy. I get the jobs and he leaves me alone to do the work - if I need a helper, job add-on or anything else, a single phone call is usually all that is needed. Most of the other techs have a similar work ethic as well.

We do a lot of subcontracts from ADT, something that I, certified, licensed and insured couldn't get despite emails, phone calls and repeated visits to the local office. Best part (or worst) is that one of services I offered was (NFPA-72) Fire System Inspections to which I was informed that ADT would never sub out something like that.

Less than a year after being told that, I was hired by this company to fulfill a contract with ADT to do their Fire Inspections in this area (Northern Michigan). I suppose what I was told wasn't too far off the mark as the inspections only lasted a few months - Now it's all installs.

We are doing a lot of install, add-on and other work for them, primarily for the national accts. In the space of a year, with a dozen techs and operating in only one state, we have just been informed that we are among the top ten Authorized Contractors (NOT, I would like to point out, an Authorized "Dealer") for them. The regional muckity muck told my boss we are getting attention form his bosses.

So I'm on a pretty good team, in addition to ADT we work with other alarm companies and have our own contractor's licenses (BA & FA) which has meant a steady flow of work so far.

I like my boss, my boss likes me, he pays well and I don't spend most days stressed to the point of breaking.

As to your point, If I had a chance to partner up with a smart, good salesman who knew what he/she was talking about then I would be happy to give it another shot. But I know what I'm good at and I know what I suck at.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I read your whole reply, but it boils down to this last part.

I too am in the same boat when it comes to sales. I'm not comfortable doing cold-calls, but I'm working on it. It's easy when you're in a convenience store and a camera is out or something, just ask to speak to the manager and fix it on the spot. If they need to get permission first, you will have planted a seed and they will call later if you don't get the job the same day.

Craigslist... There are guys begging for help for their overflow.

This is my second attempt, the first time I had a partner. Lessons were learned, and I'm giving it another shot. Despite many things not working out as planned (Tom I'm talking to you), I still manage to scrape up enough work to keep me busy via contract work. Failure is not an option, I need to get 1000 accounts in 10 years for my retirement fund, then I can do whatever I *really* want to do. It's been my experience over 20 years that any employer does not give a shit about you, it's all business.

Reply to
G. Morgan

For me the important part was about the stress. I was hardly eating, barely sleeping and not much fun to be around (you can verify that last part with my wife). Maybe some folks are just wired stronger, maybe I'm just a pussy. At this stage in life I just want a little peace.

Like I said, the owner and the ops manager are good people. The pay is better than any of the established alarm companies around here - I was at the top of the pay scale when I was fired and I'm making about a hundred bucks a week more at this gig. I'm making the bills, building an emergency fund (something I've always had trouble doing in the past), eating much better and sleeping soundly at night.

The owner cut his teeth as a salesman and when he's not on the phone or email he's out pulling wire and learning the tech side of the biz - on that note, he can cut in a door strike faster and prettier than just about anyone I've seen. The ops manager has been in the alarm biz nearly twenty years and his theory is that if you keep the techs happy the work product will keep business flowing.

But I digress - point is, I prefer to be pointed in the direction of a project and turned loose. I can concentrate on the day's work without worrying about tomorrow, and when I go home I'm free to cut the grass, hit some items on the honey-do list or just park my lazy ass on the deck with the laptop and enjoy the cool Michigan evenings (which is what usually happens). ;)

Since I'm not all stressed out and bitchy, and the wife isn't all stressed out and bitchy 'cause I'm all stressed out and bitchy, later in the evening is much better too.

I'm not saying that my way is right for everyone (good thing too or I wouldn't have anyone to work for) - but for me, well, my quality of life is leaps and bounds better than it was.

So what it boils down to is that, when it comes to working for myself - I'm just a pussy.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Nah..... It's got a lot to do with your personality as well as your skills.

I started out working for big companies and could never understand why I wasn't as successfull as I thought I should be. I never had anyone in my family who owned their own business so I had no idea what it took to do it. I was always good with my hands but the money seemed to be at the top of the executive ladder. Well, as I found out, yeah, sure, there's money there but not necessarily happiness. Ya gotta be a certain kind of person to be able to be happy doing things the way that other people want you to do them instead of the way that you know is better. And that's were the personality thing come into play. I just didn't know that along with my hand skills that I had the "attitude" to run a business too. I didn't have the business skills but I learned them. I want to do things MY way and I don't want someone who doesn't know what I know, telling me how to do things or telling me that I've got to tell the people who work for me to do things different than the way that " I " want to do it. I'm not, by ANY means, what you'd call a "team" player. My way is the best way .... for me, and I don't want anyone else telling me any different. If I'm wrong I'll figure it out for my self. And I always do.

Just think about it Joe. I would I ever get anything done if it wasn't for people who don't want to run their own business? Accountant, bookeeper, mechanic, attorney, installers, technicians, salespeople.

Nobody can do it all.

Sounds like your doing pretty good for yourself. Lots' of people out there looking for work and ..... lookit you!

Reply to
Jim

RHC: Nick, while I sympathize with your sentiments and fully agree with you, I don't think this sort of business practice will ever stop. With most companies, the bottom line is always the guiding factor...money always before ethics !! This happens in every industry, not just ours. Big companies just don't have the internalized drive to do things the way you and I and most of the regulars on this newsgroup do things, since alarm systems are not "personalized" in any way - customers are just another contract to guarantee their revenue stream. Big companies have horrible attrition rates as a result, and the best they can ever do is try to "manage" the level of losses as a hedge against bottom line negative effect. When customers are seen as "statistics" rather than clients, as is always the case with these large conglomerates, this attrition is what happens.

Look on the bright side - we gain loads of takeovers from dissatisfied clients, plus it gives us a superb opportunity to show to potential new clients how we can be so superior that they would be foolish to go with the ADT's of the world. The ONLY reason why I have ever lost to ADT is because I don't sell phoney "free systems" These free systems have a place in the market, just not in my market !!

The worse they look through such sales actions, the better a quality independant looks in the market ! Take advantage of it....:))

You can't win every customer over, nor would you really want a lot of theirs....

Reply to
tourman

Why do you keep posting articles from a website where anyone can post anything they want whether true or not? Consumerist.com has had a ton of bullshit stories over the years

Reply to
mleuck

I know what you mean, I only get my information from a reliable no bullshit source, such as ASA

Doug

Reply to
doug

But they are owned by Consumer Reports now. I expect a higher level of fact checking from them since the buyout.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Exactly! Lol..

Reply to
G. Morgan

Well does it look like someone fact checked that one? You assume Consumer Reports does anything at a higher level, I quit reading them after the Suzuki Samurai debacle

Reply to
mleuck

That was the one with John Belushi and Dan Akroyd on Saturday Nite Live ...... right?

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.