ADT-Broadview reaction

Industry Reaction Rolls in on ADT/Broadview Deal

By Kevin Campbell at SDM Magazine

It's not that often, especially given the current economic climate, that two major national players in an industry get together through acquisition. Yet, as it was widely reported last week, that's exactly what happened in the security industry as number one ADT acquired number two Broadview Security for $2 billion.

Now that the dust has settled and folks have had some time to reflect on the deal, the reaction to last week's announcement seems to be a positive, if not surprised, one. How the two biggest national players in the industry kept their big deal a big secret we may never know. But what some of the experts SDM has spoken with have said is that, in the grand scheme, it's good for the industry.

"We've seen periods or cycles of consolidation in the industry over the years, and both then and now I think what it really does is reinforce the value of RMR with the investment community that watches our space," says Jim Callahan, chief operating officer of Ackerman Security Systems, Atlanta. "The result is that the industry has always gotten stronger. So we certainly see nothing negative; only positives coming from it."

Others view the deal from a competitive standpoint. Fewer competitors can mean more business for other dealers. But other benefits come along with it, too.

"For the rest of the industry, it's good. It's just one less competitor out there, and a big one," says Bob Bonifas, CEO and chairman of the board of Aurora, Ill.-based Alarm Detection Systems Inc. A big one, indeed. And that may become a factor for many security customers, says Lessing Gold, a partner with the legal firm Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp LLP and SDM's legal columnist.

Reply to
Jim Rojas
Loading thread data ...

I come now not to praise Broadview but to bury it. who did not see this coming. thats the name of the game now get so big then sell to tyco.

Reply to
nick markowitz

RHC: It will be interesting to see if they decide to keep the Brinks / Broadview name in place, since this acquisition is only being done by the executive to improve Tyco's balance sheet. Either way, it's not likely to affect service quality to the customer in any positive way for either company, so I think the market will remain pretty much as is. Usually consolidation comes with confusion on the part of the buying company acquiring the other company, as they struggle to mesh the two operations. That only bodes well for the 85% balance of the market held by independant companies, as ADT Brinks attrition rates continue unabated, leaving us even more opportunities for takeovers...

Such is life in the world of big business....

Reply to
tourman

ADT is like a vulture...they will pick it clean and leave no trace. The Broadview crews are all in serious danger of unemployment. ADT does not like trained monkeys that can only work on a handful of proprietary panels. All those BHS panels will be sold as scrap, or fill up many local landfills. I guarantee you none of the BHS panels will be on ADT's approved list of acceptable panels.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

RHC: You're probably right about ADT picking the bones clean. They did that with their SecurityLink purchase as well.

In the end, it's always the bottom line that counts more than the customer. When will they ever learn......(hope they never do....good for us....:))

Reply to
tourman

Exactly...that's why so many dealers were very happy about the deal.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I bet if they were still called Brinks they wouldn't now be owned by Tyco

Reply to
mleuck

They can't keep the Brinks name which was why they renamed to Broadview. It will be a gradual consolidation with the installation and service arms staying exactly like they are now and ADT slowly absorbing the administrative side.

Reply to
mleuck

Maybe Brinks, Inc. finally realized what a huge white elephant their security division was, and strategically decided to get rid of it. As they did their other major holdings in the past.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Naah. They just wanted out before you get around to filing that $25,000,000,000 counter-suit for restraint of trade. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Brinks did me a huge favor with the lawsuit. The website is more popular than ever. Since the case was over, more than 3500 new dealers and homeowners became members.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

The security division was profitable and had name recognition, the reason for the sale was because some investors wanted to concentrate on the armored truck division. Same reason they dumped BAX in 2006

I realize you have a thing against Brinks but at least get some of the facts right

Reply to
mleuck

This isn't a court of law...FACTS are irrelevant in this case... LMAO

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.